Old 10-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #31
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
From the Huffington Post article:
Quote:
Dr. Robert Epstein wrote
Even though, unlike Nobel laureate Mother Teresa - who toiled helping the poor of India for 30 years before getting the prize - Obama hasn't actually accomplished anything yet, he is, following George Bush, a Great Relief to the World, especially the Bush-bashed world outside the U.S.
bolding, mine

Credibility shot right there.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #32
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
From the Huffington Post article:

bolding, mine

Credibility shot right there.
Credibility of the article on contrast or credibility of the award?

It hurts the credibility of the award that Theresa received it and, say Chavez did not, but that was already covered by Choobus. And even then, the winners each had a accomplishment to "claim" and decades of effort in that area - not 12 days.

If it's the article you think you are debunking with that quote, I have to disagree. Epstein's point about people's responses to contrast still stand, and it is the most valid explanation for Obama receiving the award that I've heard. Thank you for not being Bush.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #33
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Oops. That should have read IOC.
That's OK, he's bombing the Moon instead.
At least there will be no collateral casualties.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #34
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Quote:
The contrast effect works in many domains, including the political. And yes, it can even cause intelligent, well meaning people to confuse bringing peace to people with giving inspirational speeches about bringing peace to people.
If the speeches are truly inspirational, then there is no real difference between "bringing" peace and inspiring it, is there?

Quote:
But to people in other countries, such as some dowdy old folks sitting in a posh drawing room in Stockholm, Obama is the greatest thing since Saab introduced the heated driver's seat in 1972.
Not really sure why he's picking on Sweden. Maybe he couldn't think of any awesome Norwegian products?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #35
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Credibility of the article on contrast or credibility of the award?

It hurts the credibility of the award that Theresa received it and, say Chavez did not, but that was already covered by Choobus. And even then, the winners each had a accomplishment to "claim" and decades of effort in that area - not 12 days.

If it's the article you think you are debunking with that quote, I have to disagree. Epstein's point about people's responses to contrast still stand, and it is the most valid explanation for Obama receiving the award that I've heard. Thank you for not being Bush.
I should have been clearer; I was, indeed, talking about the credibility of the prize, itself, as an objective measure of accomplishment.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #36
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Let's not forget the NOBEL peace price is named after Alfred Nobel the INVENTOR of T.N.T(Dynamite) but the REAL person behind Nobel's idea of social & peace related issues was his friend Countess Bertha von Suttner who had written a book called "Lay down your arms " for she was very critical of the arms race. In 1905 she was the first recipient of the Noble Peace price.

Since mentally healthy aka atheist Obama has been working behind the scenes with his peace idea seed planted, Swedish Intelligentia knowing this awarded him this price happy to see Christ-psychosis infected Republicans foaming at the mouth. Excellent move...

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #37
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
Let's not forget the NOBEL peace price is named after Alfred Nobel the INVENTOR of T.N.T(Dynamite) but the REAL person behind Nobel's idea of social & peace related issues was his friend Countess Bertha von Suttner who had written a book called "Lay down your arms " for she was very critical of the arms race. In 1905 she was the first recipient of the Noble Peace price.

Since mentally healthy aka atheist Obama has been working behind the scenes with his peace idea seed planted, Swedish Intelligentia knowing this awarded him this price happy to see Christ-psychosis infected Republicans foaming at the mouth. Excellent move...
I can see that you wrote this quickly and a small error slipped in. Nobel invented Dynamite, a way to stabilize Nitro-Glycerine. This has nothing to do with TNT (Tri-Nitro-Toluene). This detail matters because Nobel did not invent an explosive, rather a way to tame an existing one and make it more safe.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #38
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
I can see that you wrote this quickly and a small error slipped in. Nobel invented Dynamite, a way to stabilize Nitro-Glycerine. This has nothing to do with TNT (Tri-Nitro-Toluene). This detail matters because Nobel did not invent an explosive, rather a way to tame an existing one and make it more safe.
My bad, Very true, thanks..I know this brilliant man while in Paris befriended an Italian scientists( forgot the name) that created nitro..very unstable mixture. Nobel created a way ( after blowing up many an office killing his brother in the process) to make a "burrito" & a fuse out of the mixture. TNT was a wrong choice of words on my part, perhaps because it has nothing to do with Rome or Caesar Christ?...

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #39
just questions

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Yes. There is a funny BBC program called QI (Quite Interesting) about this kind of "common knowledge", like Nobel invented TNT.
just questions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #40
Riddler

So then. Another 30,000 US troops committed to Afghanistan.

Who drew the 1st of December in the sweepstake?

When no one can tempt you with Heaven or Hell, you'll be a lucky manAlan Price
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote