Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
agfmama

Thumbs up Hello all!

I'm Sonya, wife to Steve who showed me there is no "light"...haha...and mom to my darling girl PooButt. If you have or have ever had a breastfed infant, you will understand the endearing nickname...

We live in La., and are surrounded by religion everywhere. I can't even go to the grocery store without getting harassed by one church or another. My hardest job will be teaching my daughter when she is old enough to ask about religion, especially since my step-mother will be sure to ask me to send her to every church camp, Sunday School, etc...

I'm pretty new to defining myself as an Atheist. I've wavered on the Agnostic fence for a few years now. I grew up Southern Baptist, got "saved", baptized, heavily involved in youth group in high school. Looked down on those "poor unsaved masses", demonized those who chose pre-marital sex, drinking, abortion, anything the church deemed "immoral". I am ashamed of who I tried to be. I say "tried" to be, because deep down, I didn't even believe. I wanted that faith, the fellowship, the rapturous look everyone had on their faces. I wanted so much to believe there was a God who loved me, and, even though he allowed me to be abused, abandoned, and unloved for so much of my childhood, he had a purpose for me in the end. It would all be worth it.

What a crock of shit. Wait, can I say "shit" here?? Ah well, anyway....

There are those who say to unbelievers, "Wait until you have children. No way will you be able to look at them and say there is no God." If anything, PooButt's birth solidified my atheism. I looked at her and remembered all the horrors of my childhood and asked myself, "What 'all-powerful Father' would allow those things to happen to someone as pure, beautiful, innocent and helpless as this?"

So, that's me, for now. I'm a SAHM, do a little office work for my husband's contracting company, I try to clean house and cook every now and then, and I'm basking in the ups and downs of motherhood.

I hope to enjoy great discussion here!
Sonya
Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
mama wrote
... demonized those who chose pre-marital sex, drinking, abortion, anything the church deemed "immoral". I am ashamed of who I tried to be. I say "tried" to be, because deep down, I didn't even believe. I wanted that faith, the fellowship, the rapturous look everyone had on their faces
Ironic, because I chose pre-marital sex (there's no other kind, I later learned), drinking, etc because of the rapturous look.

You're encouraged to say 'shit' in here as often as possible.

enjoy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
Gnosital
still unsmited

Welcome to sanity. And to the forums.

BTW, you can MOST FUCKING DEFINITELY use bad words here.
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Welcome, Sonya!

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Gracious, a new member with her wits about her who is polite enough to be concerned about possible bad language, I sincerely hope that this the beginning of a trend in higher quality participants here.

Welcome, indeed.

Not everyone here uses a lot of "bad" language and I personally prefer it to be somehow relevant to the current discussion topic or aimed at a particular target (you know who you are). That is just so that the poetry and power of cursing is not diluted and trivialized, damn it!

So I hope you will enjoy your sojourn here in as assertive a tone as you like.

A fine intro post, by the way.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
ubs
I Live Here

Welcome agfmama.

It's nice that both you and your spouse are on the same page. I don't doubt that you will need each other's support and humor given your area.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Welcome to the smart side of the force.

(The atheist deacons should be stopping by one of these days to give you your robes and ask for a blood tithe. )

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
skribb

I hereby dub thee; Mama.

Welcome to our humble corner of the tubes that are the Internet, Mama! I like your introduction post and hope to see more of your writings on this forum.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
agfmama

Thanks!

Many thanks for all the warm welcomes!!!

I am trying to tone down my language in real life, as I will have a talker soon enough. What am I to do during football season????
Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
Rat Bastard

Quote:
agfmama wrote View Post
I am trying to tone down my language in real life, as I will have a talker soon enough. What am I to do during football season????
Welcome agfmama! Buy the kid some Mickey Mouse ears, and slip them down over his/her ears.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
The Awoken One

Welcome agfmama. You're experiences in high school sound almost identical to mine so I think I can relate.
The Awoken One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
agfmama wrote View Post

Before the advent of digital photography, I used your film all the time.

I suggest you brush up on and practice assiduously your best euphemisms.

The following bad-word-free passage has done great service for me when the natural "asshole" is needed but the present company is too delicate to hear it:
"Black-hearted villainous miserable beastly misbegotten son of Satan".

Well practiced, it can roll off the tongue with modest grace and ease.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
clambake
shred

Quote:
agfmama wrote View Post
...What am I to do during football season????
You can try to beat that cheatin' Professor Chaos () in the fantasy league.

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #14
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
agfmama wrote View Post

I like to use
"FRUITCAKE!!" around the kids.
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #15
Rat Bastard

A simpler solution would be to quit watching shoulderpads and go watch some moonshiner's kids drive internal combustion powered machines in circles at 200+ MPH. I can dig it. Though I'm actually more of a drag-racing guy, and have a rap sheet to prove it.

And ya jist gotta yell the token "RUNTS"! periodically.