Old 11-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #661
Eva
Super Moderator

that's what i think, prof. and her style sounds somewhat familiar...

do we know her?

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #662
Lurker

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
This is obviously a fake.
I suggested she might even be you.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:48 AM   #663
Rat Bastard

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Not exactly....scrub my back?
Soitenly! But watch out, my hands are BIG and FAST.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:20 AM   #664
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
Lurker wrote View Post
I suggested she might even be you.

If I ever pull that one, I'll do MUCH better than that.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #665
PollyP

Old 11-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #666
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
PollyP wrote View Post

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #667
PollyP

Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #668
Lurker

Old 11-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #669
geo

Learn to ask the correct questions first.

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
So have at it. Why do you believe in God, and why do you think I (or anyone) should believe in God as well?
Okay, I think I may have posted here once years ago, just got an e-mail from the site and came and visited again. A lot of name calling and the like which to me is a waste of valuable time, but whatever floats your boat...

Now look guys,

The question for all of you is not: Why should I believe in God? The real question for this forum is: Why would anyone claiming to be a rational thinker believe in "No-God"? Given that we cannot examine enough of the known universe (and certainly not anything outside of the known universe) to prove or disprove the existence of God, the only intellectually honest position should be agnosticism. Atheism is of course a belief system that over-reaches when it claims to be rational (btw If you haven't claimed this then I'm not addressing you).

The fact of the matter is that you can't believe in SCIENCE or rational argument anyway. What you CAN believe is that specific interpretations of observed data are representative of an actual truth. This is the true meaning of science. In other words in science you validate your ideas about the nature of things through experience, and eventually, you put your faith in them. True science is experiential knowledge, hence the word experiment. The experiment gives cause to believe the theory. Not the other way around. But without the theory, how would you decide what data to observe and what experiences to consider? This is why the integrity of your paradigm is crucial to any meaningful conclusion.

In other words you cannot say that the evidence is lacking if you haven't looked in the right places, or ignored certain pieces of information that don't fit your paradigm. When the Catholic Church was faced with the idea that the earth was not the center of the universe, they actually had the experience of most of humanity to back up their interpretation of the "data". But they were wrong. Their paradigm was not sound, and they were not looking in the right places for the right data. Galileo was.

So in conclusion, if you haven't encountered God in your particular sphere of experience, why should anyone attempt to try and contradict your conviction? The answer to this question is that they probably should not attempt unless you are honestly asking the question in order to broaden your experiential knowledge. Otherwise, they are likely to get a hostile reaction, and all of their reason and experience will fall on deaf ears.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #670
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
geo wrote View Post
Okay, I think I may have posted here once years ago, just got an e-mail from the site and came and visited again. A lot of name calling and the like which to me is a waste of valuable time, but whatever floats your boat...

Now look guys,

The question for all of you is not: Why should I believe in God? The real question for this forum is: Why would anyone claiming to be a rational thinker believe in "No-God"? Given that we cannot examine enough of the known universe (and certainly not anything outside of the known universe) to prove or disprove the existence of God, the only intellectually honest position should be agnosticism. Atheism is of course a belief system that over-reaches when it claims to be rational (btw If you haven't claimed this then I'm not addressing you).

The fact of the matter is that you can't believe in SCIENCE or rational argument anyway. What you CAN believe is that specific interpretations of observed data are representative of an actual truth. This is the true meaning of science. In other words in science you validate your ideas about the nature of things through experience, and eventually, you put your faith in them. True science is experiential knowledge, hence the word experiment. The experiment gives cause to believe the theory. Not the other way around. But without the theory, how would you decide what data to observe and what experiences to consider? This is why the integrity of your paradigm is crucial to any meaningful conclusion.

In other words you cannot say that the evidence is lacking if you haven't looked in the right places, or ignored certain pieces of information that don't fit your paradigm. When the Catholic Church was faced with the idea that the earth was not the center of the universe, they actually had the experience of most of humanity to back up their interpretation of the "data". But they were wrong. Their paradigm was not sound, and they were not looking in the right places for the right data. Galileo was.

So in conclusion, if you haven't encountered God in your particular sphere of experience, why should anyone attempt to try and contradict your conviction? The answer to this question is that they probably should not attempt unless you are honestly asking the question in order to broaden your experiential knowledge. Otherwise, they are likely to get a hostile reaction, and all of their reason and experience will fall on deaf ears.
Remember the BRAIN is the creator of god. This is a scientific fact. When the brains malfunction it accepts delusions like GOD as if it existed all by itself OUTSIDE the brain, it doesn't. Religious believers are no different than folks suffering from the delusions resulting from schizophrenia, drugs, temporal lobe epilepsy etc.

belief in NO-GOd? ROTFLMAO..you seem to be ignorant of what the definition of atheism is. It simply means no-belief, or LACK of Belief. We mutated evolved primates created god with our brains. Gods are a dime a dozen.. wanna buy mine?

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #671
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
geo wrote View Post
The question for all of you is not: Why should I believe in God? The real question for this forum is: Why would anyone claiming to be a rational thinker believe in "No-God"?
Or "No-Invisible Pink Unicorns, or any infinite number of things whose existence we cannot verify with our senses and the answer is because it is of no practical use.

Believing in any ONE of the infinite set of invisible objects - that is adopting a religion - diverts resources away from interacting with the verifiable world and gets in the way using and acquiring useful knowledge.

And concerning oneself with an infinite number of unverifiable entities - agnosticism - is even more of a waste of resources.

Leaving atheism as the only logical choice, and returns us to Rhinoqulous's excellent question: "Why should I believe in God?"

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #672
geo

diatribe and clever insult waste precious time

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
belief in NO-GOd? ROTFLMAO..you seem to be ignorant of what the definition of atheism is. It simply means no-belief, or LACK of Belief.

The Greek and Latin root of atheism is Theos which means: God or Deity.

It is impossible to have "no-belief". You BELIEVE that the idea of God is made up in your brain. But since your brain made up that belief, you really don't have a sound basis for your belief. Your conclusion that God is a concept made up by human psychology is itself a product of human psychology.

Ask the right questions first...

your other "points" are a waste of breath my friend....
Old 11-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #673
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 AM   #674
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
geo wrote View Post
The Greek and Latin root of atheism is Theos which means: God or Deity.
"A" = "without", "Theism" = "belief in God (deity, whatever). So "a-theism" is "without a belief in God".

Quote:
It is impossible to have "no-belief".
See above.

Quote:
You BELIEVE that the idea of God is made up in your brain. But since your brain made up that belief, you really don't have a sound basis for your belief. Your conclusion that God is a concept made up by human psychology is itself a product of human psychology.
I didn't make up the idea of God, other people did that. I just don't believe those ideas are correct (or that there is any reason to hold such beliefs).

Quote:
Ask the right questions first...
What would those be?

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #675
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
geo wrote View Post
Given that we cannot examine enough of the known universe (and certainly not anything outside of the known universe) to prove or disprove the existence of God, the only intellectually honest position should be agnosticism. Atheism is of course a belief system that over-reaches when it claims to be rational (btw If you haven't claimed this then I'm not addressing you).
As many of us have stated on several occasions, I am an atheist when it comes to the defined gods of the world's religion. I am agnostic towards a deistic god or any undefined gods.

Is it safe to assume you are an agnostic?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote