Old 10-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #8656
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

A soldier posted pics of his unit burning a shipment of Bill O'Reilly's new book that was sent to their unit. Here is his response and further explanation to why they were burned (and that they were burned at his commanders order). His blog is called Everqueer and has some interesting stuff.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #8657
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Rhino wrote
... and has some interesting stuff.
a deaf albino cat called 'Little Shit' - now that's my kinda story!

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #8658
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

I love Halloween. I am into scary stuff: movies, stories, haunted hayrides, etc. Just sayn'

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 AM   #8659
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Nuns on the rise!

Gosh - a huge increase! 20 new nuns in Britain last year.
Quote:
Catherine describes herself as "a girly girl" who loves to be pampered. She has also wanted to be a nun since she was four years old.
Like many of her contemporaries, the 25-year-old has spent the last few years travelling, partying and studying for a degree in languages at King's College in London. She also worked as a model, but for her it was an unfulfilling experience and left her thinking again about devoting her life to God.
I can think of a few better places for folk to look, but hey, that's just me.
I guess we could consider this a form of Darwinian natural selection where these weaker minded fools take themselves out of the gene pool into an isolated and closed order - leaving the rest of society to get on with living.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #8660
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Tupperware Church.
Quote:
There is something wrong when there is little to no difference between the way businesses in the world operate and the way the Church operates. The world is peddling merchandise, and the church is functioning under the very same principals. The world is not imitating the church; the church is imitating the world. Only the merchandise of the church is the souls of men. Religion today is big business. Anyone with any kind of theory or ideology can call themselves a church.

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #8661
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Not Even a Question ...

At irregular intervals we have been discussing the origin of the universe. By the simple dichotomy method, we have narrowed the scope of the solution to either it was created or it was not.

These two apparent alternatives are grist for our discussion simply because we can conceive of no others. However, for the foreseeable future and maybe forever, we cannot have any information whatsoever about a precursor to the universe. That is, having a concept does not constitute an alternative substantial enough to even speculate upon.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Old 11-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #8662
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
At irregular intervals we have been discussing the origin of the universe. By the simple dichotomy method, we have narrowed the scope of the solution to either it was created or it was not.

These two apparent alternatives are grist for our discussion simply because we can conceive of no others. However, for the foreseeable future and maybe forever, we cannot have any information whatsoever about a precursor to the universe. That is, having a concept does not constitute an alternative substantial enough to even speculate upon.
Well, my thoughts are...

The universe exists, so either it was always here or it was created at some point in the past. But that doesn't mean it was created by a person like ourselves, which is what many religious people think.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #8663
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
Well, my thoughts are...

The universe exists, so either it was always here or it was created at some point in the past. But that doesn't mean it was created by a person like ourselves, which is what many religious people think.
In your post is a collection of assumptions about the behavior of time. If we had not discovered the BB, for instance, the universe might, as some people thought, have dribbled into existence a particle at a time (called "steady state creation with expansion").

We do not know if there are multiple (infinite?) levels or degrees or flavors of existence itself. So a premise that is limited to exists or not, concerning such an unknown kind of thing as the origin of the universe, is not valid.

Once it is agreed that god is completely unknowable, beyond the tri-omnis, the proposition that god created the universe is not valid. It may be that omnipotence is inadequate to create or destroy an infinite thing. Most people agree that god cannot cause his own non-existence. Having created them, he seems unable to destroy people in the sense that they no longer exist.

That might be a more humane alternative to Hell and it actually is the afterlife expectation of atheists.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #8664
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Many of us claim that religion (if any) is little more than an accident of one's birthplace.
This example,currently doing the rounds, beautifully demonstrates the point.
Quote:
Two Russian families whose daughters were accidentally switched at birth in hospital have been awarded $100,000 (£65,000) in compensation.
One option is for the families to buy houses close to each other, or to purchase a property together. But there are complications; there are big differences between the two households.
Irina's natural father Naimat Iskanderova is from Tajikistan and a strict Muslim, while Yulia Belyaeva is a Russian Orthodox Christian.
Poor kids - they'll just have to accept santa into their hearts.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #8665
Sternwallow
I Live Here

The only option is to get both of those girls away from households run by mental defectives.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #8666
nkb
He who walks among the theists

I'm curious how they are both Russian families. One of the families is at least half Tajik.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #8667
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

What. The. Fuck?
A new Michigan anti bullying law that can be circumvented by the accused claiming that their bullying was based on “a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction.”
What's the fucking point!?!! -

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 AM   #8668
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

WTF. Maybe the religidiots can get the same loophole for genocide!

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #8669
MaleficVTwin

How will the Christers ever be loving and tolerant if they can't beat on the gay fags? It's for their own good, in Jeebus' name.

The Cow Says:

You are a vile piece of work. And you can't write worth a damn.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #8670
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

So Sarkozy & Obama prompt a dose of yid-bashing on the same day that Iran looks as if it’s playing bombs.
If I was to do a bit of dot-joining, I reckon we can anticipate the Israeli Kheil HaAvir making a few excursions east pretty soon.

Stop the Holy See men!
Closed Thread