Old 12-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
ubs
I Live Here

SOPA and RA

General Manager, Erik Martin, is saying that SOPA will mean the end of Reddit because the legal burden that the bill places sites.

I was wondering how SOPA will affect RA and if Chris has any plans in the event that the bill passes, which it seems likely to do

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
ubs
I Live Here

So you disagree with Reddit's general manager, but can't really articulate it beyond "no." Great.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
One of the problems for Reddit is that the site deals with millions of users and thousands of sub-communities, many of which link to copyrighted material.
That sounds just like RA ! I have a sub-community growing in my pants right now.

Okay that was naughty, and anyway I know fuck-all about SOPA and probably won't know fuck-more until it's too late. If only RA had somebody who can write code, we'd be safe !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
That sounds just like RA ! I have a sub-community growing in my pants right now.
Since SOPA doesn't require due process for a site to be blocked, it seems all it would take would be a motivated and well connected theist. The site is small and traffic is light here. Not a huge loss, but I was curious if it had been addressed. Expectations were met.

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
Okay that was naughty, and anyway I know fuck-all about SOPA and probably won't know fuck-more until it's too late.
Sure. This must be very exciting for you Phil! A strike back at imaginary thieves and the fantasy that this will breath life back into the MSM, what with Youtube and Twitter gone.

You must be all tingly.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Davin
Obsessed Member

DE:SOPA

Quote:
Firefox: DeSopa is the latest Firefox add-on that can counter the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)'s DNS blocking if the bill passes. The extension gets you through sites censored by DNS and lets you browse them by IP address

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Yeah, Davin, but that just exists so that The Government can has a list of everyone they want to execute and make it look like they were murdered by Mark David Chapman.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Davin
Obsessed Member

Damn it! I'll just have to make my own then.

Seriously, this legistlation is just stupid, and will only result in costing a shit load of money in changes, updates, security problems and manpower... which will effectively do absolutely nothing to those online pirates.

A much cheaper solution to stop piracy that would have a much larger effect, isto stop calling them pirates and start calling them Bieber fans. Pirates are cool, Bieber fans are not.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

So, that's that then?

Quote:
The US Congress has halted debate on two contested anti-online piracy bills.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
So, that's that then?
Well, at least it's been delayed. I didn't see anywhere where it said these bills had been dropped.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Davin
Obsessed Member

I wish that was it. Unfortunately, this SOPA and PIPA used to be the same piece of legistlation, but split into two when it failed to get enough congressional votes. And before that, the DMCA was taken in place of what the bill was then. This is only a postponment, I think in the hopes that when they bring it back to vote on it again, people will be less upity about it.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
I wish that was it. Unfortunately, this SOPA and PIPA used to be the same piece of legistlation, but split into two when it failed to get enough congressional votes. And before that, the DMCA was taken in place of what the bill was then. This is only a postponment, I think in the hopes that when they bring it back to vote on it again, people will be less upity about it.
We must remain uppity then.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
We must remain uppity then.
Exactly, I think even more uppity! I don't think people were uppity enough.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
Exactly, I think even more uppity! I don't think people were uppity enough.
I think the uppity may have just begun. No one wants all their websites blocked. And, to read the list, it would be a LOT.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
I think the uppity may have just begun. No one wants all their websites blocked. And, to read the list, it would be a LOT.
If Rupert Murdoch is for it, that's a good enough reason to oppose it. The hypocrisy of the gnome; stealing intellectual property indeed .
Where's that Firefly torrent

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote