Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 AM   #211
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Look up one post from yours, genius.
How did I know you were going to say that???

Nope. Doesn't do it, genius. All it says is that Christian churches (bodies) baptize in the name of the .... which is the sign that they are Christian bodies. Doesn't say a word about that making anyone a Christian. Try again. Genius!

Let me help, since you don't have the wit to understand what is going on (some emphasis has been added):

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
All Christians DO baptise in the name of "the Father, Son and Holy Ghost". That is what makes them Christian bodies.

You believe your inane, ungrounded prejudices over solid facts which you do not know and refuse to believe when shown them. The Church embraces everyone but it does not call everyone a Christian. Only those who ... wait for it .... are baptised in the name of the "the Father, Son and Holy Ghost" are fellow Christians.

There is an assumption there that I thought so basic that I did not mention it but I better. Those Protestant bodies must actually believe in and teach the Gospels. That is they, like we, also hold to the Apostle's or Nicene creed.

Jehovah's witness as you have repeatedly been told do not baptise in the name of "the Father, Son and Holy Ghost". They do not believe in the Trinity and so are not Christians. Atheists who have been validly baptised are not Christians. If they wish to be reconciled later, their baptisms will still be valid.

Last edited by Lily; 08-17-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #212
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
How did I know you were going to say that???
Boy, you really are a genius. How did you know that I was going to point to the post that showed your statement that I was referring to? Holy shit, you must be psychic.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Nope. Doesn't do it, genius. All it says is that Christian churches (bodies) baptize in the name of the .... which is the sign that they are Christian bodies. Doesn't say a word about that making anyone a Christian. Try again. Genius!
And the church of Jehovah's Witnesses baptizes with the (according to you) correct phrase.

So, does that make them a Christian body, or not?

Yes, I am well aware that you made some revisions to your statements, after you realized that your original statement (which you repeated dozens of times with no mention of the Nicene Creed) was coming back around to cornhole you.
I am quite used to your dishonesty, so it doesn't faze me much.

It is humorous that in that same quote, you are still insisting that JWs don't baptize "correctly".

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #213
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Boy, you really are a genius. How did you know that I was going to point to the post that showed your statement that I was referring to? Holy shit, you must be psychic.
No. I know you. You have never made an intelligent response to anything I or any other theist has written. We might just as well be speaking Turkish for all you understand.

Quote:
And the church of Jehovah's Witnesses baptizes with the (according to you) correct phrase.

So, does that make them a Christian body, or not?
Words are not magic. That is primitive thinking. The content of those words matter. JWs do not use the words to mean the same thing. They have a different theology. They are not a Christian body.

Quote:
Yes, I am well aware that you made some revisions to your statements, after you realized that your original statement (which you repeated dozens of times with no mention of the Nicene Creed) was coming back around to cornhole you.
It never fails to amaze me how ignorant you are. It would never occur to me to explain gravity, when discussing track and field events like, say, the shot put but if I run into someone that doesn't know that gravity plays a role, I am going to have to do some remedial work.

Quote:
It is humorous that in that same quote, you are still insisting that JWs don't baptize "correctly".
They baptise correctly according to their theology. They are not Christians so it is not Christian baptism.

I now understand, finally, why there is no easy way to get through to fundamentalists. They want to believe what they believe and facts don't matter-- they cannot evaluate them given their premises. "Raving" atheists are in the same boat. You cannot be reasoned with because you want to believe your various idiocies. You need to cling to them in the face of reality just as a fundamentalist needs to believe in the coexistence of dinosauers and humans.

You really are the obverse and reverse of the same exact coin.

Last edited by Lily; 08-17-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: To add emphasis so that you cannot miss the point. (Again)
Old 08-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #214
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I now understand, finally, why there is no easy way to get through to fundamentalists. They want to believe what they believe and facts don't matter-- they cannot evaluate them given their premises. "Raving" atheists are in the same boat. You cannot be reasoned with because you want to believe your various idiocies. You need to cling to them in the face of reality just as a fundamentalist needs to believe in the coexistence of dinosauers and humans.

You really are the obverse and reverse of the same exact coin.
bolding, mine

This is truly delicious!

Three fucking years here--off and on-- and you just now realized that we operate on a different premise than you?!

What was your clue, oh great genius? Did the word "atheist" finally click with you?

And while you're slamming your fellow Christians, the fundamentalists, are you also planning to kick them out of the tribe?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #215
Lily

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
bolding, mine

This is truly delicious!

Three fucking years here--off and on-- and you just now realized that we operate on a different premise than you?!

What was your clue, oh great genius? Did the word "atheist" finally click with you?

And while you're slamming your fellow Christians, the fundamentalists, are you also planning to kick them out of the tribe?
I just realized that you are impervious to reason. I always knew you started from different premises. So what? Anyone who can use his brains can, when faced with actual facts, adjust his premises. You can't.

You are nuts.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #216
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Words are not magic. That is primitive thinking.
No shit? Words aren't magic? Who knew?

So, in the case of the crackers and wine, the priest could just as well recite "Old McDonald", and it would still magically transform into meat and hemoglobin?
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
The content of those words matter.
Oh, so the contents of the words are magic. Why didn't you say so right away?
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
JWs do not use the words to mean the same thing. They have a different theology. They are not a Christian body.
Than don't make a blanket statement that isn't accurate, and get pissed off at me.

You specifically said that a church has to use a specific phrase, that you quoted, and that JWs don't use that phrase. Why use a specific quote if you meant to say that they have to baptize in the name of the Trinity?

And how many times did you repeat it, with the same exact quote?
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
It never fails to amaze me how ignorant you are. It would never occur to me to explain gravity, when discussing track and field events like, say, the shot put but if I run into someone that doesn't know that gravity plays a role, I am going to have to do some remedial work.
Please, for all of our sakes, stay away from analogies. You suck hairy balls at analogies (no, Kate, don't even think about it).

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
They baptise correctly according to their theology. They are not Christians so it is not Christian baptism.
They baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, as described in the Bible. The difference is that they don't believe that the three are the same entity.
To you, that is enough of a difference to completely reject them as Christians. To me, it's just as minor (or major) a difference as not believing that words with magical content radically change the chemical composition of substances.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #217
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I just realized that you are impervious to reason. I always knew you started from different premises. So what? Anyone who can use his brains can, when faced with actual facts, adjust his premises. You can't.

You are nuts.
You have no facts. That's the problem. And it's yours. It ain't mine.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #218
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
To you, that is enough of a difference to completely reject them as Christians. To me, it's just as minor (or major) a difference as not believing that words with magical content radically change the chemical composition of substances.
To all Christians it is enough of a difference to completely reject them as Christians.

Your take on the subject is completely irrelevant and ignorant.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #219
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
To all Christians it is enough of a difference to completely reject them as Christians.
Well, not to all Christians. The ones that are being rejected don't agree.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #220
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Please, for all of our sakes, stay away from analogies. You suck hairy balls at analogies (no, Kate, don't even think about it).
Too late!

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #221
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Well, not to all Christians. The ones that are being rejected don't agree.
Not to mention the WE ain't Christians. This is a fact that this pitifully dumb woman will never understand for as long as she remains here putrefying this forum.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 08-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #222
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #223
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

The JW's made up shit is different to the Lilycult's made up shit and each think the other's made up shit is shit. I think both sets of made up shit are shit and we are arguing over which shit is a coiled up monster and which shit is a pan pebbledasher. Coming from either angle, we always end up with a shitfest.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #224
nkb

Maybe this needs a separate thread, but I don't understand this insistence on Jesus being the same person as God. How does that, in any way, strengthen the story? Why does believing in the Trinity make this whole mythology any more compelling?

Is it so that nobody can accuse them of being polytheists, which is too similar to all the earlier god mythologies?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #225
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
wohaz wrote View Post
this was a reference to the sig belonging to seminarian.
referencing vampires, and your respnse

when he is assosiating atheists with non existant vampires wll, you mus question his sanity at this point.
it was menat to be my attempt at humor, and was not meant to be read or taken with any seriousness.
i do think taht many theists do feel that way, bt certainly not the majority.
most think of as ignorant, as ones who are both stupid and hypocritcal, though they wont use the terms themselves.
they think we blindly follow science and ignore any evidence that god is real.
that is how they think of us, we are meant to be saved, we are ment to be reached, we are theyre ttest, that is why no matter how much we protest, they do not silence.
they do not stop until they tame the bull.
sad but true.

the reason that they seem that way and have difficulty is that they have personal experience, as that seems more important t them, they know god, they feel god.
they asume that we haev the same senses, so they wonder wey we dont know god.
The fun part is that most of them who think they had a religious experience most likely just had a small TLE seizure or used the wrong kind of magnets to stick their hair down.

Incidentally, do not worry about your typing, your posts are much more coherent than Cal's and he has no excuse.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote