Old 12-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #106
Francis

Quote:
Simoon wrote View Post
And the time to believe that the universe is a simulation is when there is demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument to support the claim. Not a second before.
The time to accept it as fact, yes. But there are plenty of hypotheses which are now being tested. Evidence of the existence of dark matter and dark energy are being aggressively pursued right now, despite only indirect indicators.

Evidence for Darwin's evolutionary theories started out very meager indeed

Evidence for SETI is, like for simulation theory, based in probabilities. SETI hasn't found a radio signal in decades, but this does not mean the search may be disregarded as false.

I did not state 'the universe IS a simulation' I did state "What if the universe is a simulation?" If so, the effect on both religion and atheism would be profound.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #107
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
I did not state 'the universe IS a simulation' I did state "What if the universe is a simulation?" If so, the effect on both religion and atheism would be profound.
Atheism stops when you do.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #108
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Atheism stops when you do.
Francis has the power to vanquish all atheists, by keeping his kooky ideas about gods to himself.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #109
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
The time to accept it as fact, yes. But there are plenty of hypotheses which are now being tested. Evidence of the existence of dark matter and dark energy are being aggressively pursued right now, despite only indirect indicators.

Evidence for SETI is, like for simulation theory, based in probabilities. SETI hasn't found a radio signal in decades, but this does not mean the search may be disregarded as false.

I am simulating masturbation right now.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #110
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Then he asks "what if what we are in is an elaborate simulation"? One can only wonder how a civilization, a mere one thousand years more advanced than we are, could create simulations so vast in number, and so elaborate and complete. The odds are, therefore, the scientist says, what we are in is not reality, but is a simulation.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #111
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Francis wrote

Quote:
And just how does EVIDENCE of dark matter and energy bolster your claim that the universe is simulated, for which you have ZERO evidence, dimbulb?

Quote:
How does that evidence in any way your simulated universe claim, for which you have ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA EVIDENCE, dumbass?

Quote:
SETI has NO EVIDENCE, it is a SEARCH FOR EVIDENCE, you pathological liar. How does that evidence your simulated universe fantasy?

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Old 12-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #112
Francis

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Francis wrote

And just how does EVIDENCE of dark matter and energy bolster your claim that the universe is simulated, for which you have ZERO evidence, dimbulb?

How does that evidence in any way your simulated universe claim, for which you have ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA EVIDENCE, dumbass?

SETI has NO EVIDENCE, it is a SEARCH FOR EVIDENCE, you pathological liar. How does that evidence your simulated universe fantasy?
Has anyone else told you that you are just too weird to have a conversation with?
Old 12-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #113
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Has anyone else told you that you are just too weird to have a conversation with?
Well that's some avoiding. What's the matter, Francis? Why are you avoiding?

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #114
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post

Old 12-25-2014, 04:11 AM   #115
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post

Old 12-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #116
Francis

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
Atheists like the fellows here, including you, remind me of the homeless people I occasionally see in Los Angeles. They stand there and make speeches to the passing cars. Pedestrians waiting to cross often have to, for a moment, listen to their gibberish and, if the wind is wrong, to smell the unfortunate fellows.

I am sure when we pedestrians hurry on to our destinations, and away from these odorous fools, they think of us as evading their important messages.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:06 AM   #117
psychodiva
I Live Here

'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #118
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

[quote=Francis;681033]

Quote:
Quote:
Davin wrote

Quote:
Atheists like the fellows here, including you, remind me of the homeless people I occasionally see in Los Angeles. They stand there and make speeches to the passing cars. Pedestrians waiting to cross often have to, for a moment, listen to their gibberish and, if the wind is wrong, to smell the unfortunate fellows.

I am sure when we pedestrians hurry on to our destinations, and away from these odorous fools, they think of us as evading their important messages.
Gee, Francis, one can't help but wonder what you are doing here, seeking companionship amongs us oderous fools,
when we should expect you to be hobnobbing with your fellow Harvard, Cambridge, and MIT PHD's!
While it is indeed admirable for you to attempt to impart your vast knowledge to us mere smelly homeless bums, we do sense a lack of the expected namedropping from your circle of CERN fellows, yet all we get are vague references to unnamed "scientists" Could you explain?

Old 12-28-2014, 04:24 AM   #119
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
The post was directed at the assumptions made by atheists. One assumption is that we are in a four dimensional reality, that scientific experiments and observations reflect actual cause/effect laws.

I am not the one who raised this simulation question. Look on youtube and enter "universe a simulation" in the search box.

And thank you for attributing dishonesty to my motives, although we note you didn't ask. My motive is to present a provocative question, because certainty of belief, or non-belief is destructive to the human condition.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #120
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
The Buddhists and certain Hindu sects have believed, for thousands of years, that reality is an illusion. Only recently, science has caught up with this belief, with the notion that this is all a simulation. One scientist has proposed a way to examine the question. He discusses the number of simulations we humans have produced. For that he uses video games as well as the standard medical and astronomical (etc.) models. He notes that simulations outnumber reality by an overwhelming margin.

Then he asks "what if what we are in is an elaborate simulation"? One can only wonder how a civilization, a mere one thousand years more advanced than we are, could create simulations so vast in number, and so elaborate and complete. The odds are, therefore, the scientist says, what we are in is not reality, but is a simulation.

Does that mean ALL the science of humanity is rigged and contrived?

Does that mean that God is a nerdy, nearsighted extraterrestrial?

Scientists think these are serious questions..

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." - Alan Morgan