Old 06-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
Whisper

Justice, but too late for Gloria

Can't see as anyone else has noted this yet:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/paren...x.html?page=-1

I blogged about this case a few times, but here's the latest:

http://justawhisperinthewind.blogspo...or-gloria.html

Basically, Gloria's woo-tastic parents decided to deny her conventional treatment and relied heavily on Homeopathic remedies to treat her severe eczema. She died in 2002, at nine months old, after five months of agony, wieghing only as much as a three-month-old, malnurished and with her skin breaking and tearing whenever her nappy was changed.

Her parents got Manslaughter due to Criminal Neglect.

Personally, I'd have gone with murder. Her father is a Homeopathic doctor and they saw numerous real doctors during her five month ordeal, but ignored all of them.

Quote:
By the time she died, she was the weight of an average three-month-old, her body was covered with angry blotches and her once black hair had turned completely white.
Quote:
The pathologist who did the autopsy, Ella Sugo, said she had sought advice from experts outside Australia because she had never seen a child so malnourished and her condition was at a level more commonly observed in third world countries.
What disgusts me the most, is that her father refuses to own up to his part in it all. He still believes that Homeopathy could have cured her and that conventional (real) medicine would only have prolonged her agony.

As I said in my blog, I'm waiting for the homeopaths to crawl out of the wood-work and explain this away.

The usual list of pitiful excuses will no doubt be used, all, of course, falling short of reality.

Bastards.

I'll keep my eyes open to see if any homeo-bloggers have tried to weedle their way out of this well documented and entirely needless death.

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Whisper

To add insult to injury, during their babies illness, the mother, Manju Sam, developed gallstones AND SOUGHT CONVENTIONAL MEDICINE TO RELIEVE HER PAIN.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/paren...0505-atd7.html

So, they wouldn't use real medicine on their deathly ill new born baby, but they would go ahead and use it for the mother!

Wonderful.

Quote:
Manju Sam developed extreme abdominal pain and, the day after the wedding, she was diagnosed with gallstones, Mr Tedeschi said. But instead of treating her with homeopathic remedies as they had done for their daughter, Manju Sam immediately went to a conventional hospital for treatment. "Thomas Sam showed a considerable degree of fear and concern for Manju's condition in contratst to what they both showed to Gloria's condition," Mr Tedeschi said.

Priorities much?

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Homeopathic doctor = oxymoron.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

This sort of child abuse, this intentional and willful neglect on the part of the parents, is just gut wrenching stuff. It's horrible. Do you know what the homeopathic 'treatment' of this poor little girl consisted of? We know what the parents were not doing, but is it known, precisely, what the parents were doing 'homeopathically' to cure her condition?

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
Whisper

I agree, it is horrible to read about - horrible to think waht this child went through. It was abuse, pure and simple, and I'm shocked that her parents didn't take every action to comply with the real doctors and dermatologists who saw their child.

Surely they must have seen that their 'homeopathic remedies' weren't working? I mean, the evidence was right there, in front of them, in their perpetually irritable and crying baby, with skin that was not clearing up.

I'm sorry, I can't find anywhere that states specifically waht she was treated with. Knowing homeopathy, it is likely to be magic-water, or some herbal extract pretending to be homeopathy.

Because her father was not only a 'Homeopathic Doctor' but also taught Homeopathy, I would say it was magic-water, probably applied to the skin, if not given to her in sugar-pill form. But take that with a pinch or two of salt, as it looks like her exact 'treatment' has been withheld due to the court case.

Quote:
Charles Darwin.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
psychodiva
I Live Here

did medical staff contact anybody about this poor girl?

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

These people should be sterilized and their other kids, if they have any, should be taken away from them to help ensure that this shit never happens again. And, as it is with sex offenders, they should be prohibited from having any unsupervised contact children. (just thinking out loud)

Old 06-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Homeopathic doctor = oxymoron.
Homeopathic doctor

same as

"intelligent theist"
"Gentle rapist"
"delicious excrement"
"Fox news"

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

"Creation science"
"Fetal person"

Old 06-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Prime or uncaused cause.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

Omniscient and omnipotent

God of love - Creator of hell

Old 06-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Source of all morality

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
psychodiva
I Live Here

good book

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote