Old 05-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #271
nthn200

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
I think the genocide, destruction, and obliteration have less to do with science and more to do with man's inabilty to handle it.
Many would say the same of religion if you plugged it into the above for science. You tell me the difference.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:06 PM   #272
Another brick in the wall

Here's the difference: "God" created religion, man created science. Which works better?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:30 AM   #273
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote
Here's the difference: "God" created religion, man created science. Which works better?
Neither, because HERE'S the real difference: man (and woman - let's be pc about it) created god in his/her own mind and discovered science as a way of explaining all around him/her (including the non-existence of "god")

Invisibility and nothingness look an awful lot alike.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 06:37 AM   #274
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
nthn200 wrote
Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
I think the genocide, destruction, and obliteration have less to do with science and more to do with man's inabilty to handle it.
Many would say the same of religion if you plugged it into the above for science. You tell me the difference.
That's a fair question. I'm not one to blame religion for every ill. As for the difference, I guess I would ask, what tangible benefits have resulted from religion?

Quote:
It is important to make sense of whatever we can but to think that there are no forces in the univese that we cannot explain is blind hubris, and is more absolute then fundamentalism.
I understand that there are many aspects of the universe not yet explained (isn't something like 95% of the universe composed of dark matter/energy, the characteristics of which we know very little [I'm wading out of my depth here -- something no one suffering from hubris would admit!]?); and I'll concede that much of the not-yet-explained may never be. It is entirely possible that some things are simply beyond our capacity to understand due to limitations of the human brain, in the same way that the complexities of government would be lost on say, a monkey. But what I won't do is say that because I can't explain something, it can only be explainable by God. Wouldn't that be another kind of hubris?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:24 PM   #275
nthn200

Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote
Man created both, and they both can be scapegoats. They've also done good to mankind as well.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #276
nthn200

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Quote:
nthn200 wrote
Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
That's a fair question. I'm not one to blame religion for every ill. As for the difference, I guess I would ask, what tangible benefits have resulted from religion?

Quote:
It is important to make sense of whatever we can but to think that there are no forces in the univese that we cannot explain is blind hubris, and is more absolute then fundamentalism.
I understand that there are many aspects of the universe not yet explained (isn't something like 95% of the universe composed of dark matter/energy, the characteristics of which we know very little [I'm wading out of my depth here -- something no one suffering from hubris would admit!]?); and I'll concede that much of the not-yet-explained may never be. It is entirely possible that some things are simply beyond our capacity to understand due to limitations of the human brain, in the same way that the complexities of government would be lost on say, a monkey. But what I won't do is say that because I can't explain something, it can only be explainable by God. Wouldn't that be another kind of hubris?
For many people, that is the definition of God. Explaining the universe through metaphors instead of logic. Poetry as apposed to prose.