Old 06-13-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Tenspace
I Live Here

Interesting article, but I don't think they'll be testing a working model in five years. And who the hell is Burkhard Heim?

US Government Investigates Travel in other Dimensions

Oh... he's This Guy.

And a link to the 2004 paper: Guidelines for a space propulsion device based on Heim's quantum theory (pdf)

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
a different tim
Obsessed Member

There was some stuff on this guy in New Scientist.

he had, as I recall, a fringe* interpretation of quantum Theory, that was consistent with experiment but is not shared by most physicists. In other words, there is a good chance his theory is wrong.

*Not fringe as in nutjob, just fringe as in most physicists don't hold to it.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...yperspace.html

I suppose it's worth testing his ideas, though I'm not holding my breath.

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat-catching, and will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family"
a different tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Choobus
I Live Here

We can't even make a decent fusion reactor using well known theory that is actually correct (as far as we know), so I wouldn't get too excited about any hyperspace engines. I agree with ADT though. It's worth looking.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
antix
Obsessed Member

An interesting idea, but if the physics do turn out to be legit and this idea is plausible, you have watch out cause you don't want to end up in a situation like thisthis
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
RenaissanceMan

There is no fucking way I'm putting my testicles on a ship that generates a magnetic field powerful enough to go to another dimension.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Egotistical Atheist

That is why I like this forum so much, I can even learn about physics. I have to admit that my knowledge of physics is very little so it helps me to read your posts.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:21 AM   #7
myst7426

Yeah right. Where are the flying cars and robots that can do anything that are common in every household? Wasn't this a vision of the future proposed in the 50's?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:06 AM   #8
baconeatingatheistjew

Quote:
myst7426 wrote
Yeah right. Where are the flying cars and robots that can do anything that are common in every household? Wasn't this a vision of the future proposed in the 50's?
Yes, and it came true in the 60's with the Jetsons.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:14 AM   #9
myst7426

Quote:
baconeatingatheistjew wrote
Quote:
myst7426 wrote
I meant in real life.

Omg, look BEAJ, someone said something critical about a Jew. Go get them! Call them an anti-semite.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:22 AM   #10
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
myst7426 wrote
My favorite is the film footage with Sikorsky showing off his "personal helicopter" complete with grocery basket. In one swell foop, he proposed a vehicle that's more dangerous than a Ford pinto without brakes or seat belts, gets worse gas milage than a military hummer, and has less cargo capacity than a Vespa scooter.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:39 AM   #11
baconeatingatheistjew

Quote:
myst7426 wrote
Quote:
Quote:
myst7426 wrote
I meant in real life.

Omg, look BEAJ, someone said something critical about a Jew. Go get them! Call them an anti-semite.
Visit any suicide innovation sites lately?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #12
Hertzyscowicz

Quote:
Quote:
myst7426 wrote
Quote:
I meant in real life.

Does anyone else think that five years is a bit of a strict deadline for putting a hyperdrive together?

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish." ~Albert Einstein
Hertzyscowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #13
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Hertzyscowicz wrote
Quote:
Quote:
myst7426 wrote
I meant in real life.

Does anyone else think that five years is a bit of a strict deadline for putting a hyperdrive together?
From the discussion so far, I would confidently guess that a cartoon or even maybe a CGI representation of a hyperdrive could appear within five years ... except is already has.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote