Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #256
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Pretends it's interested in our POV to keep some of us here like jam tarts in the shit shop window.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #257
Godlovesyou

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
You're an idiot.
oh i see. Thats what you are here for.

last post at this forum for now.
Godlovesyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #258
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Godlovesyou wrote View Post
oh i see. Thats what you are here for.

last post at this forum for now.
I also explained why I think you're an idiot, but if you just want to take that one part of my post then go ahead.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #259
nkb
He who walks among the theists

I just read the other thread from 2 years ago, where GLY introduced himself. Same tired old shit, but his English is a little better, so kudos for that.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #260
Davin
Obsessed Member

GLY was just copying and pasting from that stupid forum it kept linking. Nothing from it's own mind ever came out, only regurgitated (well copy and pasted) crap from other people.

No one here was discussing anything with GLY, because GLY was being just a mindless proxy.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #261
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
do you know what a singularity actually means ?
Why yes, I do, why do you ask?

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #262
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
oh sure. It all happened by chance. Feel free to believe this.....
I do not believe, I accept the objective facts and incorporate new facts.
What facts do you have about your God? I have seen none yet.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #263
Davin
Obsessed Member

We start with WLC's original statement highlighting the puffy words that don't really mean anything but sound all big and scientific as well as anything that is repeated:

As an unembodied mind, God is a remarkably simple entity. As a non-physical entity, a mind is not composed of parts, and its salient properties, like self-consciousness, rationality, and volition, are essential to it. In contrast to the contingent and variegated universe with all its inexplicable quantities and constants, a divine mind is startlingly simple. Certainly such a mind may have complex ideas—it may be thinking, for example, of the infinitesimal calculus—, but the mind itself is a remarkably simple entity. Dawkins has evidently confused a mind's ideas, which may, indeed, be complex, with a mind itself, which is an incredibly simple entity. Therefore, postulating a divine mind behind the universe most definitely does represent an advance in simplicity, for whatever that is worth.

So we are left with his basic sentiment, a baseless assertion, an attack on Dawkins based off of his baseless assertion, then a conclusion that has nothing to do with anything in the statement at all:

God is simple. A mind may have complex ideas, but the mind itself is simple. Dawkins has confused a mind's ideas, with a mind itself. Therefore, postulating a mind behind the universe does represent simplicity.

So we are left with everything of any value from William Lane Craig's statement:

Old 06-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #264
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Sure. Better than nothing
Wrong. Believing in something that is not true is worse than believing in nothing, both practically because it leads to wrong actions and psychologically because it leads to delusion.

Which is better, believing that fire is water or not believing anything about fire or water?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #265
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post

That is the most pathetic thing I've heard in a very long time.
It is just a long form of the familiar cry "It doesn;t matter what you believe, as long as you believe something!"
And you are right. Either form is deeply pathetic.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #266
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Victus wrote View Post
Given GLY's performance so far, I'm not sure even the use of a verb is appropriate.
I am a little surprised that it took this long to break through u-GLY's pseudo-rational shell to reach the gooey religious nutbar core.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #267
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Spitting image of my uncle Herman, right down to the partially healed third eye.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #268
Demigod79

Quote:
http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/does...god-t79-15.htm

As an unembodied mind, God is a remarkably simple entity. As a non-physical entity, a mind is not composed of parts, and its salient properties, like self-consciousness, rationality, and volition, are essential to it. In contrast to the contingent and variegated universe with all its inexplicable quantities and constants, a divine mind is startlingly simple. Certainly such a mind may have complex ideas—it may be thinking, for example, of the infinitesimal calculus—, but the mind itself is a remarkably simple entity. Dawkins has evidently confused a mind's ideas, which may, indeed, be complex, with a mind itself, which is an incredibly simple entity. Therefore, postulating a divine mind behind the universe most definitely does represent an advance in simplicity, for whatever that is worth.
LOL, I actually expected something like that, read a book some time ago that talked about such an argument existing. I never actually thought I'd encounter anyone desperate enough to use such a baseless and stupid argument... guess I was wrong.

Religion - it gives people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
Demigod79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #269
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
I have gone out as well to correct your mischaracterization of my position. Obviously, it was a waste of my time as well. Hold on. Actually, it was not. Since you cannot claim you did not know the presented facts anymore, and claim ignorance.
Your unsupported assertions are certainly not facts. Anyone who believes them is deliberately willfully ignorant and therefore is without excuse.
Quote:
the third hypotheses, a eternal universe, is not possible , for scientific, and philosofical reasons, which have been presented here as well.....
The opposite has been mistakenly presented, that an infinite and eternal creator of universes is certain. And,again, there is no objective evidence given in support of such a fantastic claim.

Here's another hint, eliminating one of two possible cases does not make the other one true.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #270
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Repeating someone else's obviously wrong notions neither makes them more true nor does it help your case.

A mind is its ideas and the means to manipulate them. The more complex the idea, the more complex must be the manipulating machinery and thereby the more complex the mind. I agree that the divine mind can be remarkably simple since starting a singularity demands no thought. Neither does sitting back and letting a universe follow natural laws (ie behave in regular ways).

I would be interested to see any evidence that your God ever thought about infinitesimal calculus or any even vaguely related topic. His biographers claim that He doesn't even know how a circle works. By the authoritative reports, God is a mathematical dunce, and an especially nasty one at that. Your vain little God can't even count; the Bible says so.