Stevo_fl
New Member!

Time to think

"Who made the universe?"
"God"
"Alright then, who made God?"
"No one made God, he's eternal"

Yawn.

A slight problem with all of the above though.. Observation suggests that linear time is a product of the expanding universe. Our concept of cause and effect (I throw a pie, some time passes, then the pie twats you in the face) is rather closely associated with what we perceive as the passage of time. Once you take time away, our construct of how one event might lead to the next becomes rather useless.

Conditions prior to the expanding universe are unfathomable, but there is no immediate evidence to suggest that in the absence of expansion, linear time would exist. So while words like "eternal" sound like a stupid cop out when you think like a being who exists within linear time, take time away and forever might be quite commonplace. Without time, there's no before or after.

Now, how you get from speculating the possible nature or eternity to the existence an all powerful, pan-dimensional jealous bully who's fiddling about with interest rates because someone is praying they get a home loan is beyond this modest intellect. Even if you call per-expansion conditions "God", that doesn't mean you have to hack your foreskin off.
Stevo_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

We did some galactically wonderful stuff with time in here, but I don't recall successfully linking the wonders of the space-time fabric into foreskin hacking - but I'm all ears ....

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
alwinwarrens
New Member!

Who told you have to hack it? Its not compulsion.

It’s a nice night to grab a bite.
alwinwarrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
ririku4545
New Member!

Quote:
Stevo_fl wrote View Post
"Who made the universe?"
"God"
"Alright then, who made God?"
"No one made God, he's eternal"
The bible is full of paradoxes. Just as the one you stated here. Preachers and people of religion says and demands that we believe that we did not just come out of nowhere, but we were intelligently designed. If they always talk about cause and effect, what created God? Surely using the logic they just used there needs to be an explanation for God as well and not just humans. Probably why I get pissed off when they say the Abrahamic God is the God of "LOGIC" xD
ririku4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Stevo_fl wrote View Post
Even if you call per-expansion conditions "God", that doesn't mean you have to hack your foreskin off.

God made man in his image: except for that pesky foreskin, that part was an oppsidoodles and is just icky.

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

The "what made God?????" question is neatly handled with the answer, "we can never know as it is too way out of our level of understanding"!!! Magic, mixed with exactly 5% of faith and 43% of enough mystery to add your own imagination. The other 52% is a bit smelly and comes from a male cows bum.

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
Node18

if "god" is capable of being eternal then the universe is as well. religitards get caught up in so many loops of their own creation

I hear Bovina gives incredibly good blowjobs. What do you think Choobus?
anyone who can swallow the catholic turdology with such enthusiasm must have practically no gag reflex
Node18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Stevo_fl
New Member!

Well actually Node, the point here ifs that the universe is expanding and that expansion would appear tho be associated with linier time. So the universe probably isn't eternal. Observation suggests that it had a beginning. However, conditions outside the universe may not allow linier time to exist an may therefore have features that might be called eternal. None of this suggests a god, but remember,what we call tim may simply be a characteristic of universal expansion and not the"forever clock" that we perceive. If there were a god he could be eternal by not experiencing time, just like e.m. energy as it moves about on space.
Stevo_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Saturday

this is a bit off topic at the moment but does anyone know if virtual particles have been confirmed experimentally?
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Saturday wrote View Post
this is a bit off topic at the moment but does anyone know if virtual particles have been confirmed experimentally?
This Scientific Amurrikan piece seems to suggest so, but I'm no expert in the field.

Quote:
Thus virtual particles are indeed real and have observable effects that physicists have devised ways of measuring. Their properties and consequences are well established and well understood consequences of quantum mechanics.
*sigh* - where's Choobus when you need the fucker.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

This is a solid explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_particle

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Saturday

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
This Scientific Amurrikan piece seems to suggest so, but I'm no expert in the field.
Very nice article! Sounds like they've been experimentally proven. Good to know.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote