Old 07-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
Livingstrong

I know there are a lot of great math people on this forum, that's why I am requesting some help with this issue.
The MHR is supposed to be calculated like this: 220-age.
There are other formulas like the Miller formula of MHR=217 - (0.85 × age) to calculate MHR

But, my big question is: stature and weight has to influence anybody's MHR. For example, it is not possible that somebody who is 30 years old and 6'2", and weighs 250 lbs., is going to have the same MHR of somebody who is also 30 years old, but is only 5'5" with a 150 lbs of weight.

The problem is that there is no medical book that asses this. The only thing of course, medically, is to put the person (who wants to know his/her MHR) on the treadmill -stress test- and get it that way. Or, get on the bike and push the limits on a hill and get it that way.

But, is it possible that any of you guys can come up with a more precise formula that includes age, stature and weight, or at least age and stature?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Gathercole

Information here is from my wife, a nutritionist. It seemed pretty similar to the stuff on Wikipedia.

1. Maximum heart rate fromulas are very inaccurate, with a large standard error. My wife agreed with you that a treadmill test is the only way to measure it for any given person.

2. Weight doesn't have an effect on MHR. Being heavy means you attain your MHR with less intense exercise, but the MHR is the same.

3. Fitness: the main effect of cardio fitness is to lower your resting heart rate, and to increase the amount of exercise you can do at your maximum heart rate. Another postulated effect is that your MHR declines more slowly with age.

4. The most accurate formula I found was HRmax = 205.8 − (0.685 * Age), from Robergs & Landwehr (2003).
Old 07-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
Livingstrong

Thank you Gathercole,
Please tell your wife the info is greatly appreciated!

Only one thing I still question though: is the height of a person a factor that should affect the MHR?
Do you think your wife would agree that
a 5'1" 40 yr. old person would have a different MHR vs a 5'9" 40 yr. old? See?..same age, different hight.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
FishFace

Maximum heartrate is simply the maximum rate at which the heart can beat. If the person has more blood, they might need a higher resting heartrate, but the only thing affecting the MHR is the muscle of the heart itself, and the signalling capacity of the various tissues.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
Choobus
I Live Here

if you want to know what a guys maximum heart rate is just have angelina joile and anniston in a naked bitch fight.

If you want to know a womans maximum heart rate just show them a video of Brad Pitt wanking off over the afore mentioned bitch fight. (and shooting his load over jude law's handsome face).

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Choobus wrote
if you want to know what a guys maximum heart rate is just have angelina joile and anniston in a naked bitch fight.
Is it possible to excede your maximum heart-rate? Cause I think I just did.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Choobus
I Live Here

I think if you exceed your maximum heart rate you just redefine it as a bit higher than you thought. I'm sure you can easily exceed you maximum safe heart rate though.....

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
Choobus wrote
If you want to know a womans maximum heart rate just show them a video of Brad Pitt wanking off over the afore mentioned bitch fight. (and shooting his load over jude law's handsome face).
Hmm... I don't think that would even get my heart rate above normal. Unless I puked. That usually raises the heart rate I think.
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
Livingstrong

I know this thread is too old, but I just felt like updating it since I just found out something really interesting in regards to my initial post.
There is a new way to calculate your MHR when doing cycling, and running. You have you start exercising for about 3 minutes for cycling and 6 for running, do it in a moderate pace for that amount of time, at the end of those minutes add 75 to that value and there you have your MHR for that day and especially calculated for you.
Unfortunately I don't find a link yet that can take you to it. I learned it from some cyclists who know a lot about it. But it seems pretty reasonable to me since we can't have the same endurance everyday.
Anyways, I just thought about sharing this new interesting fact I found out.