Old 02-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #16
BuzzKill

Now I would like to ask you a question. What do you believe and why?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #17
123Qiz

To me the evolution/creation debate seems to be endless, everytime an scientist dicovers something that appears to provide new evidence the creationists seems to find a flaw in the theory and somehow make it support creation. I am not a scientist and so I cant really argue the point on either side. There are some fundamental questions though that I would like to hear your views on.

1. How do you explain where everything began, seems both sides have an infinty question to solve ?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #18
Just Us Chickens

This is a great site if your interested in learning more about Evolution http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/
Old 02-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #19
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Quote:
123Qiz wrote
To me the evolution/creation debate seems to be endless, everytime an scientist dicovers something that appears to provide new evidence the creationists seems to find a flaw in the theory and somehow make it support creation. I am not a scientist and so I cant really argue the point on either side. There are some fundamental questions though that I would like to hear your views on.

1. How do you explain where everything began, seems both sides have an infinty question to solve ?
I know! I know!! The chicken!!

No, wait..... The egg!

Crap.

I don't know. :(

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #20
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #21
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
123Qiz wrote
What is the atheist view ?
To find out what the "atheists view" is, simply look into the etymology of the word ATHEISM. It comes from: A= WITHOUT and
THEOS = GOD or BELIEF.

Atheism simply means:

no belief in irrational fairy tales, in god, in ghosts, in illogical things, in puerile concepts, in fantastic things VOID of reason, having one's feet firmly planted on the world of REALITY, having a healthy brain that is able to differentiate between fantasy and reality, been skeptical of extraordinary claims. Atheism is the quality of a person that makes him/her a QUESTIONER and NOT and ACCEPTOR.

Atheism IMHO simply means to be SANE having a brain that produces HEALTHY thinking based on reason induced QUESTIONING. So, an atheist view is that which is produced by HEALTHY brains. Religious-psychotics been ACCEPTORS are never able to produced healthy thinking since they ACCEPT fantasies as if they were a reality. This neurological dysfunction is also found in schizophrenics ,temporal lobe epileptics and those suffering from Borna virus induced depression.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #22
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
123Qiz wrote
As far as I know no one has a provable answer to that question yet. Lots of theories no answers. That isn’t really a question about evolution though. The theory of evolution picks things up quite awhile after the big bang.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #23
GaryM

Quote:
123Qiz wrote
A very good question. As far as I understand, we don't yet know how everything began. So what we do is we make observations about the universe, then try and construct a theory that explains all these observations. Then once we have a theory we try to see if we can disprove it by finding evidence that contradicts it, and if we can then we go back and work on a new theory. For example, the observation that the universe is expanding led to a theory that it might have started off all compressed together, and then expanded out to the size we see today. As we observe new evidence we construct better theories about the universe.

In contrast to this, theism (or deism) says "God did it" and makes no effort to explain where God came from. This kind of "explanation" raises more questions than it answers.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #24
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
GaryM wrote
In contrast to this, theism (or deism) says "God did it" and makes no effort to explain where God came from. This kind of "explanation" raises more questions than it answers.
Its just turtles, turtles all the way down
Old 02-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #25
Erik

It is unfortunate that you see the evolution/creation debate as a debate at all. It is, in my view, a heavyweight fighter against an 8-year old with both hands tied behind his/her back. I would highly recommend that you spend some time with books on evolution to see just how imbalanced the discussion really is. There are numerous popular works on evolution that do not get overly bogged down in the technical details. You could also go over to talkorigins.org for a very good resource.

In any event, creationists reach the fallacious conclusion that if they can somehow disprove evolution, creationism is vindicated. But they cannot explain why this is an either/or proposition.

The question of where everything began is similarly imbalanced. For theists, to say that "god did it" succeeds in explaining nothing at all. Indeed, the question first has to be answered "Did everything actually have a beginning?" This is not so easily answered, and you can also go spend many (enjoyable) hours reading popular works on cosmology. As with biology, in cosmology it is the people who do not introduce untestable hypotheses that advance understanding. Theism does not.

For atheists, then, the theist habit of saying "god did it" is just a bandage. It has been used on innumerable occasions in the past for things that are readily explainable today. There is therefore no reason to assume that "god" is a satisfactory explanation for anything. It hasn't been, and it will continue not to be.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #26
123Qiz

Please dont think I am making an attack on Atheists here. This is not my intention, I am giving the information I have been fed and the arguments I have had to face. So the response to this problem is generally: " Well is it then that irrational to believe in an infinite being outside of our dimension of time that could have begun time. Either way you have to acknowledge we have a problem with the concept of infinty."
Old 02-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #27
GaryM

123Qiz, in future you might want to distinguish between the origin of the universe (i.e. everything) and the origin of life on Earth. I know that many religions teach that these things happened in the same week but I have to tell you that the evidence suggests a 4.567 billion year old Earth and a 13.7 billion year old universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_universe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_earth
Old 02-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #28
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
123Qiz wrote
Please dont think I am making an attack on Atheists here. This is not my intention, I am giving the information I have been fed and the arguments I have had to face. So the response to this problem is generally: " Well is it then that irrational to believe in an infinite being outside of our dimension of time that could have begun time. Either way you have to acknowledge we have a problem with the concept of infinty."
Our biological computers, the brain, have a problem with many concepts including that of infinity, this is the reason the concept GOD had to be created as an "answer all" factor. A simple, I do not know, would suffice, but the human animal is too proud to acknowledge ignorance or that he is simply nothing more than a mutated crazy ape.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #29
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
123Qiz wrote
You're attacking this the wrong way. Start at the easy and work your way to the complex. In other words, start at the end and work your way back.

Since you haven't said, I'll assume you're a Christian. Start with the minute details of Christianity and Jesus, then work your way back in time to the Big Bang.

Rid yourself of the ridiculous notions of Christianity if you wish to look at science objectively.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #30
123Qiz

Fair enough, guess no one can ever be sure on that. Anyone had a look at the evidence around inteligent design with regaurd to cell structures? Heard what seemed at the time a pretty convincing presentation on the issue...