Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #46
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
I've just been watching a show on TV where they are saying more Psychologists and Neurologists are working on marketing and advertising than in the health sector........Interesting if true.
Don't forget reality shows. Most of them have psychologists employed to help the writers create scenarios that produce maximum drama.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #47
psychodiva
I Live Here

doesn't surprise me- the health sector just doesn't see the need- nurses however are always necessary- which is why I keep my nursing certification

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #48
Rhinoqulous

Sniped from PZ, Dr Oz uses shit science to create apple juice scare.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Old 09-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #49
DyingStrong

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
Yeah, and this is the comment I left there. Sometimes Myers is an idiot. Who cares about what Dr. Oz says? Gee!

"Thumbs down to this post by PZ Myers. PZ Myers should have done more research before posting his ridiculous opinions about medical science.
The fact is that there are more scientists who have found unsafe levels of arsenic in many processed foods. If PZ Myers has the time to read what Dr. Oz says on TV then he is wasting his time watching most probably American Idol. I would advice him to read more scientific research articles before writing this non-sense."
DyingStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #50
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
DyingStrong wrote View Post
Yeah, and this is the comment I left there. Sometimes Myers is an idiot. Who cares about what Dr. Oz says? Gee!

"Thumbs down to this post by PZ Myers. PZ Myers should have done more research before posting his ridiculous opinions about medical science.
The fact is that there are more scientists who have found unsafe levels of arsenic in many processed foods. If PZ Myers has the time to read what Dr. Oz says on TV then he is wasting his time watching most probably American Idol. I would advice him to read more scientific research articles before writing this non-sense."
I'm confused... so you're in favor of Dr Oz making misleading (at best) statements about apple juice? Also, from what I read in the article, PZ found this story via the FDA, not from watching Dr Oz on TV.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #51
DyingStrong

Quote:
I'm confused... so you're in favor of Dr Oz making misleading (at best) statements about apple juice? Also, from what I read in the article, PZ found this story via the FDA, not from watching Dr Oz on TV.
I don´t watch Dr. Oz, I don´t watch TV. I don´t trust the FDA. I am a scientist and do research with other scientists as well.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #52
nkb
He who walks among the theists

I don't know much about this, so I'm curious. Are you disagreeing with the FDA statement about organic and inorganic arsenic, and what is considered a safe level?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #53
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
DyingStrong wrote View Post
I don´t watch Dr. Oz, I don´t watch TV. I don´t trust the FDA. I am a scientist and do research with other scientists as well.
You didn't answer the question. Are you in favor of people spreading misinformation on national TV (whether you watch it or not) based on shit science?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #54
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
You didn't answer the question. Are you in favor of people spreading misinformation on national TV (whether you watch it or not) based on shit science?
If it is fiction then it pretty much has a licence to talk shit. Or else it would be factual. Star Trek managed to at least adhere to certain scientific possibilities, but I don't see tha harm in fictional jibber jabber having artistic licence. You may enjoy the bad astronomy website. Phil enjoys hooking the bad science out of films and tv shows etc.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #55
DyingStrong

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
I don't know much about this, so I'm curious. Are you disagreeing with the FDA statement about organic and inorganic arsenic, and what is considered a safe level?
Yes
Old 09-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #56
DyingStrong

Quote:
No, I´m not in favor.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #57
nkb
He who walks among the theists

What is the basis for your disagreement? How does one determine what a safe level is?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #58
Eva
Super Moderator

from what i hear, arsenic is naturally present in the soil. and in fruit and vegetables, organic or not....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #59
ubs
I Live Here

This probably isn't so much shit science as science being subverted by the growing insanity that is intellectual property rights. Just when you thought things could not get any crazier

US Supreme Court to rule on whether practicing medicine is patentable

Quote:
The Supreme Court are poised to rule in Mayo v Prometheus, a case that concerns whether medical procedures for adjusting the dosage of an out-of-patent drug can be patented. If the Supremes rule in favor of the patentability of adjusting drug doses and other common medical procedures, it will make doctors liable as patent infringers merely for practicing medicine. What's worse, judging from the hearings, the justices are ready and willing to make this loony idea into the new standard for patentability.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #60
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
This probably isn't so much shit science as science being subverted by the growing insanity that is intellectual property rights. Just when you thought things could not get any crazier

US Supreme Court to rule on whether practicing medicine is patentable
Jesus leprechauns! What a crazy country we live in! When did the raving lunatics take over? Where do we run?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote