Old 08-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Liberated1

Grin Words from an Atheist

Hello everyone!

Here's my first post, popping the proverbial cherry on this forum. So what to say what to say... well obviously from the title of this post I'm an Atheist. How long? Well to be honest, we are all born Atheists and we don't learn to speak English until around the age of 2. So this gives me at least 2 years of my life as religion free that I can account for. Sure my parents baptized me, against my will I'll have you know. I was an infant an unable to protest more than verbally. The rest of it was agnostic, because no one truly "knows" that God or gods(Capital "G" god for you Christian types) exist.

So after much debate, exposure, and self thinking during my childhood(Grandmothers who are devout Christians, Grandfathers who were Atheist and died Atheist, Father Atheist died came back from clinically being dead is now undecided, Mother Christian and not actively participating), I came to the conclusion that I'm an Atheist. I've been one since the age of 20, approximately 15 years ago. There, my dirty little secret is out, jeebusjuice free and loving it.(Or more precisely, no "it")

I think some might ask why I decided to join this forum. I know the theist will most assuredly want to and to answer that would be as follows:

1. Because people here share my ideals.
2. I want to thwart the theist attempts to convert me back, because it can be so much fun to watch someone get flustered when you don't accept the mass-hysteria known as Christianity.
3. I've read over 700 posts on this forum and decided it was time to add my two cents. I can't let you have all the fun of frustrating the theists!
4. Some people on this forum intrigue me.

And last but not least...
5. Kate makes me laugh!

Ok, so there it is the skinny of it.

And now for the fat:

I’m 6 feet tall, blond hair, blue eyed, and weigh 195lbs.
I'm currently in the Navy, 14 years and counting.
I'm married and have two girls... and a shotgun on layaway.
My wife is a Methodist and wouldn’t have married me if she had known I was an Atheist.
My hobbies are computers, reading, sport cars, hiking, astronomy, and cooking.
I don’t believe in man made global warming.
I don’t think the world is going to end in 2012.
I don’t believe in the supernatural.
I do believe life exists somewhere else in the universe.
I believe intelligent life is very hard to find on earth.

And the Pièce de résistance…
I believe that most people truly don’t believe in the Christian God but pretend they do just so the zealots will stop harassing them.

Any questions?
Old 08-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Welcome, Liberated1!

Feel free to poke the resident theists with a stick (they claim they don't like it, but that is why they are here).

I am curious about your statement about your wife. I assume she knows you are an atheist now. Is there any kind of friction for reasons of religion, or would she have not married you just because she had a negative image of atheists back then?

As background, I married a (very weak) Catholic, but since we "dated" for 8.5 years, there were no surprises about my atheism when we were getting married.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Liberated1 wrote View Post
Any questions?
Why do you write in blood.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
psychodiva
I Live Here

Hi - Brit or Yank ? - just checking if I have to make fun of you or not

anyhoo- hi there and wade right in - poke at LillyAss and Yawner for sure- and that dolt svns is fun to get going

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Liberated1

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Why do you write in blood.
That's because I popped my cherry and it was bloody of course.

Last edited by Liberated1; 08-19-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
I don’t think the world is going to end in 2012.
You obviously haven't heard what us cross ponders are plotting for the next Olympix!

Welcome aboard!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Liberated1

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Welcome, Liberated1!
I am curious about your statement about your wife. I assume she knows you are an atheist now. Is there any kind of friction for reasons of religion, or would she have not married you just because she had a negative image of atheists back then?
We tend to avoid religious conversations all together. So the issue is never really addressed and falls under the out sight out of mind category. I do not know if she has a negative opinion of Atheists, I truly think it more falls under the principals that she wants to spend eternity with me and now that she knows I'm Atheist, we will not be in the mythological place of heaven together. I did and do attend church with her, but that is because I support her in her beliefs. She is my wife and I will support her, but the good news is that I really think she is very close to becoming an Atheist. How do I know this? Well because she thinks the buybull is a bunch of hogwash written by man. This is generally the first step in being freed from Christianity. Time will only tell.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
Liberated1

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
Hi - Brit or Yank ? - just checking if I have to make fun of you or not
Yank, San Diego California yank at that. Been to Great Britain though. London, Cornwall, then on over to Ireland. I love British comedy, Fawlty Towers, All creatures great and small, Are you being served, and Red Dwarf. Don't hate me for the last one, because it is a guilty pleasure.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Liberated1

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
You obviously haven't heard what us cross ponders are plotting for the next Olympix!

Welcome aboard!
Hmm, should I buy lots of food rations and drinking water? Is this going to be another Y2K apocalypse? I do have a can of spotted dick on the shelf and I will use it as a weapon!
Old 08-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Hmm, should I buy lots of food rations and drinking water? Is this going to be another Y2K apocalypse? I do have a can of spotted dick on the shelf and I will use it as a weapon!
no no- the only true British weapon is Marmite!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Yank, San Diego California yank at that. Been to Great Britain though. London, Cornwall, then on over to Ireland. I love British comedy, Fawlty Towers, All creatures great and small, *Have you been served yet, and Red Dwarf. Don't hate me for the last one, because it is a guilty pleasure.
hey anybody who can list all those great programmes is fine by me I promise to tone down the fun-making - unless you say you like Benny Hill then its no holds barred!

*are you being served*

Old 08-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
no no- the only true British weapon is Marmite!
.... marinated in Drambuie ..

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 08-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
.... marinated in Drambuie ..

well surely anything marinated in Drambuie could be a weapon?

Old 08-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

.. once it's been through my alimentary canal - - certainly!!

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 08-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
psychodiva
I Live Here

eeeeeeewwwwwww