Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #31
Irreligious
I Live Here

Lily, we all readily acknowledge that we don't know what we can't know.

Sure, we all have our irrational beliefs, but we don't hold them sacred, nor do we insist that others do. That's the difference between you and us.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #32
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

Which is it?

Who says the two are mutually exclusive? I don't think they are.

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #33
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
There are some very knowledgeable people here.
Who, for instance? You never say.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #34
Lily

The question is science. The answer is Choobus. Studge, if he can stop sneering long enough, appears to know a little something; then, there is ... uh ... uh ... well, I am sure I am forgetting someone! I don't read most of you, after all.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #35
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
The question is science. The answer is Choobus. Studge, if he can stop sneering long enough, appears to know a little something; then, there is ... uh ... uh ... well, I am sure I am forgetting someone! I don't read most of you, after all.
That's OK. Most of us don't value your opinion, anyway.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #36
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I haven't claimed to be a scholar, have I? Obviously, I am quite well-educated in a particular field, in which I have also published. That is about it. The fact that I know that I take much on faith is more than you know. It is the surest sign of the stunning ignorance of atheists here that so many of you believe that you can claim to be completely rational about your beliefs (a tautology if ever there were one), when you cannot, in fact, coherently describe evolution, talk intelligently about physics or any other scientific topic (you know who has punctured the balloon of more than one fatuous pretender). It is hysterically funny to see you clinging to something you don't actually understand, preening and boasting of your intellectual superiority! The fact that you actually do not see that you are in the exact same boat as the fundies you deride is a source of never-ending wonder and enjoyment to me.

There are some very knowledgeable people here. The rest of you are groupies.
How many times has evolution been coherently described on this forum?

As for those that "cannot... talk intelligently about...", don't belittle us during our quest for knowledge. At least we're trying to understand the natural world.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #37
Simple Mind

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post

As for those that "cannot... talk intelligently about...", don't belittle us during our quest for knowledge. At least we're trying to understand the natural world.
see,.this is the main point

although evolutionist don't have all the answers, at least they are asking the questions , looking for the answers reexamining the knowledge they have.
Not taking some absurd account written by extremely ignorant (in the sense that they had very limited knowledge of the world around them) peoples who in their ignorance looked around were befuddled at the wonders of nature and
decided, seeing as it was beyond their abilities to understand , that it must all be done by a "God" and then over 5,000 years of discovery, refuse to change the story, even when made to look retarded by scientific discovery
Old 01-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #38
Lily

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post

I am not belittling anyone who is seriously looking for knowlege. I am laughing at those who think it is enough to mutter "science" like a mantra and believe that they understand it, when they obviously don't. How many such have you put straight? Choobus? ADT? Do you really think that every atheist who has come through here is a seeker of truth and understanding? C'mon, you and I both know that there are and have been an awful lot of 13-17 year olds (and probably much older, were the truth known) who have come here only because they are allowed to swear and talk dirty!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #39
Simple Mind

got a spare 4 minutes anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK3O6KYPmEw
Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #40
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

Ah yes, the remarkable chromosome number two. Lily knows better than to dispute the validity of evolutionary biology, I think that she accepts it as fact. I would love to see any of the YECs among us, however, offer a reply to your video. That would be very entertaining.

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #41
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I am not belittling anyone who is seriously looking for knowlege. I am laughing at those who think it is enough to mutter "science" like a mantra and believe that they understand it, when they obviously don't. How many such have you put straight? Choobus? ADT? Do you really think that every atheist who has come through here is a seeker of truth and understanding? C'mon, you and I both know that there are and have been an awful lot of 13-17 year olds (and probably much older, were the truth known) who have come here only because they are allowed to swear and talk dirty!
So what? Who are you to complain when you spend your time acting all sanctimonious and belittling those who don't share your values and silly superstitions? If it bothers you seeing some of your fellow Christians belittled here for their ignorance you can always spare yourself the indignity.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 01-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #42
Lily

Quote:
Captain Relativity wrote View Post
Ah yes, the remarkable chromosome number two. Lily knows better than to dispute the validity of evolutionary biology, I think that she accepts it as fact. I would love to see any of the YECs among us, however, offer a reply to your video. That would be very entertaining.
Now, now. Simple Mind knows, he just knows, what I think about this and every other subject. Do not take his simple minded beliefs away. If he were ever to learn that untold millions of Christians have no problem with evolution or with science, his head would explode.

On the other hand, would that be a bad thing?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #43
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
But Lily, how did you come to the conclusion that Whisper was just blowing smoke?

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Old 01-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #44
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Now, now. Simple Mind knows, he just knows, what I think about this and every other subject. Do not take his simple minded beliefs away. If he were ever to learn that untold millions of Christians have no problem with evolution or with science, his head would explode.

On the other hand, would that be a bad thing?
If you viewed the video to which he linked, you would know that the professor giving the lecture on the fused chromosomes acknowledges at the end of it that he is a Roman Catholic. So, clearly, Simple Mind is well aware that there are Christians who are not as goofy as the ones you're attempting to defend here.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 01-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #45
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Mog, a clock that has stopped is still right twice a day.
Not really. If the purpose of the clock is to inform you of the time, then it will be wrong something like 43,100:1 (considering a granularity of 1-minute intervals).

Now, if you'd stop living your live in such an absolute, black&white dichotomous reality, and accept that world is more of a probabilistic march of shades of grey, then you'd better see where we're coming from.

Oh... edited to add: This watch is right all the time: