Old 02-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #31
DontBeStupid

Quote:
DrunkMonkey wrote
There really is no good reason for circumcision.
not a one.

so how many of you will still circumcize your baby boys when they're born?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #32
baconeatingatheistjew

Quote:
DrunkMonkey wrote
Quote:
baconeatingatheistjew wrote
OK, back in 1961 my parents didn't take this into account, however...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070223/...s_circumcision
Seeing as the study is about adult circumcision, it isn't a very good reason to circumcise infants. There is still no good hypothesis as to why it is true (at least I couldn't find one)- perhaps circumcised people have less sex and thus have a smaller chance of contracting HIV? In any case condoms are a much better method.

Cutting the entire penis off would result in full protection from HIV (for all intents and purposes), but nobody advises that.

Lets say everything else was equal. Then what would you say?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #33
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
DrunkMonkey wrote
Quote:
Seeing as the study is about adult circumcision, it isn't a very good reason to circumcise infants. There is still no good hypothesis as to why it is true (at least I couldn't find one)- perhaps circumcised people have less sex and thus have a smaller chance of contracting HIV? In any case condoms are a much better method.
Actually, in the article, it states that the likely cause for this is the vulnerability of the foreskin for absorbing the virus.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #34
nkb

Quote:
DontBeStupid wrote
Quote:
DrunkMonkey wrote
not a one.

so how many of you will still circumcize your baby boys when they're born?
My son is 7 months old now, and I had no intention of getting him snipped. My wife didn't care either way, so she deferred to my rather strong feelings on it.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #35
ShadowofGod

Quote:
DrunkMonkey wrote
Quote:

Cutting the entire penis off would result in full protection from HIV (for all intents and purposes), but nobody advises that.

The reason is the mucous on the glands or something. As always, i can't seem to find the effing article, but the article where i first read of this circumcision-hiv thing was much more detailed.

edit:

Quote:
Laboratory studies have found that the foreskin is rich in white blood cells, which are favored targets of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. So the theory is that men who are uncircumcised are much more likely to contract the virus during sex with an infected woman, and that the epidemic spreads when these newly infected men have sex with other women within their network of sexual partners.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...ype=printableL
Old 02-23-2007, 12:53 PM   #36
LEToxin

Hot off the press

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17297433/

Ezekiel 23:20 (New Living Translation)
20 She lusted after lovers with genitals as large as a donkey’s and emissions like those of a horse.
LEToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #37
nkb

Quote:
Quote:
DrunkMonkey wrote
Quote:

I know you were asking DrunkMonkey, but, in my opinion, it is completely unnecessary surgery.

My wife and I will be teaching both of our kids proper sex education, including the need for condoms (I am not holding my breath for the public schools in Texas to do the job, since they are religious ass-hats here, who prefer abstinence-only education).
In my opinion, the AIDS/circumcision issue is moot in this country, assuming your kids are educated (as mine will be).

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #38
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

Quote:
Quote:
DrunkMonkey wrote
Quote:

What does that even mean? Everything else being equal? As in there was no such thing as condoms?

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #39
baconeatingatheistjew

The reality is that there will be lots of sex without condoms in the West. If the study is true about HIV and Aids, I would say it counts as a good reason to get cut or at least not argue with circumcision. I'm not supporting it in on the basis of ritual, but I'm not convinced that it affects a child in any way.

1 in 90,000 babies die after circumcision, but penile cancer affects many more than 1 in 90,000 (albeit later in life) in men who were not cut.

To me, it is not a major decision one way or the other.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #40
nkb

Quote:
The reality is that there will be lots of sex without condoms in the West.
Probably true, but I wonder how many properly educated kids will have sex without condoms?

I think a lot of unprotected sex (among young people) can probably be traced back to poor sex education in schools, and parents who don't care or are embarassed to bring it up with their kids.

Like I said, that will not be the case for my kids, therefore circumcision is unnecessary (especially for my daughter :) )

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #41
Choobus
I Live Here

this is such bullshit. There is absolutely no good reason to remove the foreskin, and the only people who try to claim that there is are all dick-mutants.

Also, any time someobdy needs reminding of how utterly retarded religon is show them a picture of an old man sucking the blood out of a freshly mutilated baby wang. If they are not convinced then they are probably beyond all hope.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #42
baconeatingatheistjew

Quote:
nkb wrote
Quote:
The reality is that there will be lots of sex without condoms in the West.
Probably true, but I wonder how many properly educated kids will have sex without condoms?

I think a lot of unprotected sex (among young people) can probably be traced back to poor sex education in schools, and parents who don't care or are embarassed to bring it up with their kids.

Like I said, that will not be the case for my kids, therefore circumcision is unnecessary (especially for my daughter :) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INHokPnyoiE
Old 02-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #43
MrsMoe

Quote:
The Unbrainwashed wrote
Quote:
If a 7 day old baby can't withstand a little snip, how would he handle a nose bleed a few months down the line.
Real surprised that you would defend this arbitrary, archaic practice.

Yea you're so unbiased in your religious attacks. Good to see that your cultural upbringing hasn't influenced your present viewpoints.
Hun, not only is he fat, fug and bald, he's an asshole. He's the sort of person that makes female skin crawl, and as a result he has a grudge against the world. Don't waste your breath with this one.

Edited to add - hell you know, I bet he doesn't even HAVE a dick that sticks out, considering his BMI is through the roof. Those fat fucks not only can't get it up, they can't find it.

ROFL :lol:
Old 02-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #44
ShadowofGod

How come it doesn't show that you edited it?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #45
nkb

Quote:
ShadowofGod wrote
How come it doesn't show that you edited it?
Chris is tweaking the settings of the forum, to see how people like it. In this case, she now allows a 15 minute window in which you can edit your post, without showing the "Last edited" message.

http://ravingatheists.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7058

George Bernard Shaw