Old 11-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
ninjaxlikewoah__

Question The Big Bang

Okay, so I have to write a two page argumentative essay over a controversial topic for my college English class.

My topic was the Big Bang, and how I'm for the theory (being a physics major and all).

Well, my teacher decides to flip everybody's sides to where they're against the topic they're for, and vice versa.

So, I need help.

I know of a couple of theories of how the universe came to be. The one I'm most familiar with is the Static Universe theory by Einstein; but there's a problem. His theory was proven wrong.

So I need some other theories to work with.

Also, I absolutely DO NOT want any religious point of view. I'm going to use that as my opposition.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
muss

Well you could use the theory that the universe possibly came from a black hole type environment:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0917072015.htm

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...le_030917.html

Not sure if this helps, but it should at least help direct you to something that does.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
ninjaxlikewoah__ wrote View Post
Okay, so I have to write a two page argumentative essay over a controversial topic for my college English class.

My topic was the Big Bang, and how I'm for the theory (being a physics major and all).

Well, my teacher decides to flip everybody's sides to where they're against the topic they're for, and vice versa.

So, I need help.

I know of a couple of theories of how the universe came to be. The one I'm most familiar with is the Static Universe theory by Einstein; but there's a problem. His theory was proven wrong.

So I need some other theories to work with.

Also, I absolutely DO NOT want any religious point of view. I'm going to use that as my opposition.
Quantum gravity suggests that there is no singularity "before" the big bang, and that in fact the universe did exist before the inflationary phase. That means that the big bang arguments are insufficient to explain where the universe came from. Therefore jesus is real.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Lurker

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
Quantum gravity suggests that there is no singularity "before" the big bang, and that in fact the universe did exist before the inflationary phase. That means that the big bang arguments are insufficient to explain where the universe came from. Therefore jesus is real.
But super-fundy atheist, Mark Smith, says E=MC^2...therefore he's not real. Where's that GUT when we need it?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
GaryM

The only one I know of is plasma cosmology - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_cosmology - cause I friend of mine got me to read a book about it, but all the author did was bang on about why he didn't like Aristotle...
Old 11-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
Lurker wrote View Post
But super-fundy atheist, Mark Smith, says E=MC^2...therefore he's not real. Where's that GUT when we need it?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Lurker

Crazy is as crazy does, Professor. I bet you'd move to another table if you were seated next to that guy at the Free Thinker's Convention.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
Lurker wrote View Post
Crazy is as crazy does, Professor. I bet you'd move to another table if you were seated next to that guy at the Free Thinker's Convention.
Of course I would.

Therefore...what?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Lurker

therefore....

Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Whoops! Wrong thread! I thought this had to do with group sex.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
myst7426

I figured out how the universe operates in a dream I had. I just can't prove it mathematically. It has to do with black holes and the gravitational stretching of space-time. If we could only see inside a black hole...
Old 11-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
whoneedscience

Old 11-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #13
Stargazer

Quote:
myst7426 wrote View Post
I figured out how the universe operates in a dream I had. I just can't prove it mathematically. It has to do with black holes and the gravitational stretching of space-time. If we could only see inside a black hole...
If we could, we'd finally see where all the lost socks go.