Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #16
Choobus
I Live Here

He can't hear anything because his inflated balls are too much of a distraction...

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #17
psychodiva
I Live Here

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #18
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
J' ever try swallowing one of those things?

Takes gallons of likker to get the thing down.

At least, if you are a girl, you can remove it after nine months.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #19
Closet Doubter

I've re-emerged

Hi all,

I ran away for a little while....into a dark cave.......couldn't take that I'd even briefly associated with the likes of you.
...............had my collection of New Testament plushies gathered 'round me.......with the Apostle Paul clutched closely to my bosom (he's my woobie).

Thought I: "Liscentious infidels....with their overuse of Photoshop'd penises and smarmy comebacks. There'll be no laptops in Hell, I'll tell you that much." ........but then I dried my tears. "Well, they were a pretty jovial group of townsfolk and you have ALWAYS enjoyed talking to smart people.", I thought. "They were actually quite warm and accomodating.", I pondered.

Smart words came back to me. I started thinking about things I've read (and been taught and heard).......and something took over. ......and I'm here again.....and I'm not demon possessed (yet).
......I'm reading.......and thinking........and reading............

........baby steps........baby steps.

It's good in the light, but it hurts my eyes a little.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Call me a suspicious bastard - but I detect a wind-up and Mr Chaos is AWOL.
I have been known to be wrong (quite often).

Perhaps we need a few more baby steps?
I like his style!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #21
Closet Doubter

Headache Could it actually be happening?

Quote:
Closet Doubter wrote View Post

Oh, God. Did I actually write those words? "The light"? "The light"?!?!?!?!?

You are the infidels. You are the lost. I've been "in" the light for 30 years. Why did I write such a statement? How could I have?

Up is really down? Left is really right? The preachers have told me (I mean, it's even in the Bible.....the book with lots of pages and real thick covers and pictures of lambs and stuff) that the world is "dying and going to hell" (where's there's not one stitch of refrigerated air, to put it mildly) and that they are all "wandering around in darkness" (bumping into things and whatnot).....and that we (the ones who've believed and confessed their sins and professed their faith in Jesus Christ) are His children.
But people who challenge that........they mess with my brain, because my brain moves around and looks around and spins and chews and digests. ........and then I'm in my bedroom and the lights are off and I'm thinking about what the bad people said and it seems to be more sensical.

I feel like I'm imploding.........but the weird thing is, I might actually finally be blossoming. Is this what it feels like? Anxiety but a bizarre undercurrent of peace? Depressed but happy? So alone - - but not really sad about that?

I just can't be an Atheist. It's so damn........dangerous. What about my kids? People might be mean to them. If I'm wrong, I might go to Hell forever. (I'm crying right now - - and that's no clever rhetoric).........

I'm just not big enough. I'm not entirely convinced. I mean, I was going to go to Seminary......big schools, with big libraries and smart people and REAL BIG books. ......and lots of talk about God and Salvation and Eternal Life and Evangelizing the Lost (that's you, in case you're wondering).

......but, here I am, pouring out my heart to a bunch of strangers. ......a bunch of friggin' smart aleck strangers. Who don't know me. Who never knew my parents. Who don't honestly care about what happens to my kids. ........but, I am here right now. Something is keeping me here. Something pulled me back.

I haven't the faintest idea what to do from here. Where is "here"? I've just rambled, really. Thinking aloud is all I've done.

I haven't really reached any hard conclusions. Whining-via-keyboard, nothing more.

Dejectedly submitted.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #22
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Cheer up & calm down Closet You don't have to testify or proclaim or anything. No-one's gonna want to dunk you or ask for money,, much.
It's dead boring this atheist malarkey. Maybe you should just stick with the fantastic magic stuff.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #23
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Closet, no need to feel dejected about beginning to face real life without your cardboard armor. It is liberating to recognize the wonderful opportunities for appreciating this single life that we all get. It is also sobering to see the personal responsibility involved when your actions affect real people and real situations and are not subordinated to seeking a good turn in some fanciful afterlife.

Welcome back whichever way you lean, if you are sincere about it.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #24
Tenspace
I Live Here

Closet, here's some very basic advice for you.

First, the hardest thing about losing your religion is accepting the fact that your parents lied to you. They didn't do it to intentionally hurt you, 'cause their parents did it to them, and theirs to them, ad nauseum. That's how religion survives. Think about it. No one is born religious. It takes indoctrination to become religious. Very few people go through life and then get religion; the majority are brought into it by their parents. And it's not just parents, it's most of the adults you associate with - your siblings, friends, pastor, teachers, etc. Remember, human youth are genetically programmed to believe what they are taught by elders. That's something else that keeps religion alive.

So, when you can get past the parent thing, then you have to try to be objective - look at religion from the outside. An atheist much greater than me once said, regarding Christianity - everyone's an atheist, it's just that you believe in one more God than I do."

Think about it. There are thousands of gods being worshipped on this planet, right now, and every one of their followers sincerely believe, like you do, that theirs is the One True God. Yours may be the most popular religion, but just because lots of people believe, doesn't make it true.

Once you view Christianity objectively, you'll start to see the inconsistencies. Even if you don't give it up, this search will probably lead you to stop believing in the literal truth of the Bible. We know that men don't have one fewer rib than women, we have a much better explanation for the diversity of life on the planet than Noah's story (people really believe that all the kangaroos and koalas trekked from Australia to the ark, and back again!), and we're pretty certain that virgin birth and resurrection are just stories, nothing more.

Finally, you should keep your eyes open for those that say whatever it takes to keep you in the fold. Do your own research, learn about those topics that are used to remove the doubt you feel. Think for yourself, and don't be afraid to ask questions of those who don't have an agenda they're trying to sell you.

Good luck.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #25
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post
Closet, here's some very basic advice for you.

First, the hardest thing about losing your religion is accepting the fact that your parents lied to you. They didn't do it to intentionally hurt you, 'cause their parents did it to them, and theirs to them, ad nauseum. That's how religion survives. Think about it. No one is born religious. It takes indoctrination to become religious. Very few people go through life and then get religion; the majority are brought into it by their parents. And it's not just parents, it's most of the adults you associate with - your siblings, friends, pastor, teachers, etc. Remember, human youth are genetically programmed to believe what they are taught by elders. That's something else that keeps religion alive.

So, when you can get past the parent thing, then you have to try to be objective - look at religion from the outside. An atheist much greater than me once said, regarding Christianity - everyone's an atheist, it's just that you believe in one more God than I do."

Think about it. There are thousands of gods being worshipped on this planet, right now, and every one of their followers sincerely believe, like you do, that theirs is the One True God. Yours may be the most popular religion, but just because lots of people believe, doesn't make it true.

Once you view Christianity objectively, you'll start to see the inconsistencies. Even if you don't give it up, this search will probably lead you to stop believing in the literal truth of the Bible. We know that men don't have one fewer rib than women, we have a much better explanation for the diversity of life on the planet than Noah's story (people really believe that all the kangaroos and koalas trekked from Australia to the ark, and back again!), and we're pretty certain that virgin birth and resurrection are just stories, nothing more.

Finally, you should keep your eyes open for those that say whatever it takes to keep you in the fold. Do your own research, learn about those topics that are used to remove the doubt you feel. Think for yourself, and don't be afraid to ask questions of those who don't have an agenda they're trying to sell you.

Good luck.
Good advice for many an atheist too.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #26
Closet Doubter

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post
...........Good luck.
Thank you, TenSpace. By the Power of Greyskull and through the divine influence of duct tape, I've put myself back together again. Looking at who you are and what you believe ain't always a neat and tidy process and my little come-apart might have had some value in the bigger scheme of things.

Your words are well-received.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #27
Closet Doubter

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
I have been known to be wrong (quite often).
This confused me just a bit......maybe I'm too new here or maybe it's a Brit thing: "a wind-up"? If this is a baseball metaphor I'm going to need a little explanation. ...........and if Mr Chaos were here, what might he say?

Quote:
Perhaps we need a few more baby steps?
I like his style!
Thank you. ........stepping gingerly as we speak, thank you very much.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #28
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Quote:
........and if Mr Chaos were here, what might he say?
That's Professor Chaos to both of you!

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:22 AM   #29
Eva
Super Moderator

closet, professor chaos is a MIA co-mod....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #30
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Hi all,

I ran away for a little while....into a dark cave.......couldn't take that I'd even briefly associated with the likes of you.
...............had my collection of New Testament plushies gathered 'round me.......with the Apostle Paul clutched closely to my bosom (he's my woobie).

Thought I: "Liscentious infidels....with their overuse of Photoshop'd penises and smarmy comebacks. There'll be no laptops in Hell, I'll tell you that much." ........but then I dried my tears. "Well, they were a pretty jovial group of townsfolk and you have ALWAYS enjoyed talking to smart people.", I thought. "They were actually quite warm and accomodating.", I pondered.

Smart words came back to me. I started thinking about things I've read (and been taught and heard).......and something took over. ......and I'm here again.....and I'm not demon possessed (yet).
......I'm reading.......and thinking........and reading............

........baby steps........baby steps.

"I ran away for a little while....into a dark cave.......couldn't take that I'd even briefly associated with the likes of you"

Hmmm..was she a good slippery pulsating absorbing Fibonacci integrated cave?..what about the coitus inter mamas providing holy spheres? Where they accepting? BTW not all of us here are accepting holy caves.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote