Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #16
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

They have actual religions now tied to tech discoveries in Civ 3. The first to discover a certain tech founds that religion. For example, the first to discover Meditation founds Buddhism, and can begin to spread Buddhism around the world. Certain AI's are more religious than others, and will declare war more often on civs of different religions. Adds some good spice to the game.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Do the Christian AIs torture and kill others for not believing their fairy tales?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
They have actual religions now tied to tech discoveries in Civ 3. The first to discover a certain tech founds that religion. For example, the first to discover Meditation founds Buddhism, and can begin to spread Buddhism around the world. Certain AI's are more religious than others, and will declare war more often on civs of different religions. Adds some good spice to the game.
You actually mean Civ 4, right? I tend to try to spread the religions that I feel are more innocuous, like Taoism. It would be cool if some future Civ game allows you to customize religion to an extent: allow you to choose more specifically what dogma the religions have. Maybe Spore does this.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #19
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Do the Christian AIs torture and kill others for not believing their fairy tales?
Who knows? The game doesn't show people in any form other than military units or city icons, but you can choose to establish a Theocracy as your government, and other civilizations will get pissed off at you if you have a different religion than theirs.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #20
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Man, it's been a long time since I played Civ.

You're right, Religion (along with building churches and cathedrals) in Civ shut the people up and kept them happy, even if other things weren't ideal. A very useful tool.
my son-in-law to be was playing Civ the other day and yelled out 'Apparently I've found religion' I told him to put it back where he found it but I don't think he did

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #21
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
Mog wrote View Post
You actually mean Civ 4, right? I tend to try to spread the religions that I feel are more innocuous, like Taoism. It would be cool if some future Civ game allows you to customize religion to an extent: allow you to choose more specifically what dogma the religions have. Maybe Spore does this.
Yeah Mog, my bad, I meant Civ 4 (and I'm still waiting for the last xpac for Civ4 to come out for mac, grrr).

If they made Civ Religions like they made Goverments (Civics) it would be fun times. My favorite thing to do is bee-line for one of the early religions (Judaism, Hinduism or Buddhism), convert all my neighbors, and then bribe them to engage in an all-out world war against the "heathens". Ahhh, good times.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Old 08-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #22
skribb

Quote:
Mog wrote View Post
We're complaining about the Spore game, apparently:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=211296

Personally, I don't have a problem with religion being in the game. I don't know if its a natural tendency of all intelligent species to develop religion (since we're the only intelligent species we know of), but it did develop here.
Meh, it's just a game.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 AM   #23
nkb

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
Yeah Mog, my bad, I meant Civ 4 (and I'm still waiting for the last xpac for Civ4 to come out for mac, grrr).

If they made Civ Religions like they made Goverments (Civics) it would be fun times. My favorite thing to do is bee-line for one of the early religions (Judaism, Hinduism or Buddhism), convert all my neighbors, and then bribe them to engage in an all-out world war against the "heathens". Ahhh, good times.
Rhino,
How do you play Civ, and hold down a job?

Last time I played Civ regularly, I almost failed out of college (same for my friends). If I started playing it now, I'd probably be childless, homeless, and single within a few months.

Damn that thing was addicting.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #24
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Rhino,
How do you play Civ, and hold down a job?

Last time I played Civ regularly, I almost failed out of college (same for my friends). If I started playing it now, I'd probably be childless, homeless, and single within a few months.

Damn that thing was addicting.
I actually haven't been playing Civ4 at all (or any video games) since I got my new job. This thread got me nostalgic, so I broke it out to play for an hour last night. After the "one more turn" syndrome kicked in, that turned into 2-1/2 hours, making me sleepy this morning. It's going back on the shelf for now.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #25
nkb

That is exactly what I was talking about: the one-more-turn syndrome, the next thing you know, the sun is coming up, the birds are chirping, and you know you'll be missing some classes/falling asleep at work.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #26
sparhawk13

Civ revolution (xbox 360) won't let you have "one more turn". When you win, that's it. It's slightly dumbed down, but still addicting.