Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Kamikaze189

The Horrible Analogy Thread

This thread is dedicated to those who suck at making analogies, and its purpose is to highlight those individuals' failings at making reasonable comparisons. Please post any you happen to spot.

Having followed "Wafergate", I came across so many awful analogies on Pharyngula and other Catholic websites that I realized there were probably enough to fill this thread single-handedly. So I'll just give a couple from another website:

Quote:
Lydia, speaking, via analogy, about one person, who takes one cracker wrote
I think a good analogy is a situation where some publication is given out for free to be read, and those who dislike what is in the publication take it in armloads and publically burn it so no one else can read it. The free distribution of the publication is understood by all parties to be for the purposes of its being read or at least potentially read, not destroyed in bulk. That is why it was stated that liberal groups who took entire print runs of free conservative student newspapers on college campuses and publically burned them in barrels (this really happened) were stealing the print runs.
Quote:
Lydia, writing, via analogy, about an easily replaceable food item that is mass produced wrote
Deceptively taking the last photograph of your deceased spouse and desecrating it would hardly count as harmless to most sane people. To you, the photograph may be nothing more than chemicals on a piece of paper. To the person you took it from, it has far more significance which normal people recognize.

“Whoever attacks the popular falsehoods of his time will find that a lie defends itself by telling other lies.” - Robert Ingersoll
Kamikaze189 is offline   Reply With Quote