Old 06-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #16
Another brick in the wall

My understanding is that a lot of embryos in fertility clinics get thrown away anyway. If there going to be destroyed, why not use them for something useful? These are clusters of 4, 8, or 16 cells. They can't feel pain, they aren't conscious, and in most important respects, there are much less human than a dog. What's the big deal?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #17
joli

That's right Brick,

They are, as we all know, hypocrites. They will die to save embryos but when it comes to child poverty, mortality rates, health care and education they barely lift a finger. Many of these Reps. helped force the EPA to set lazy restrictions on mercury levels in our water. Lower restrictions that allow Chemical companies to keep dumping. We are already to a point where moderate consumption of almost any type of fish will increase a woman's chances for miscarriage by 20%. I don't hear any of them screaming about this one.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:47 AM   #18

Of course, ordinary people are partially responsible for pollution. If people bought less stuff, there would be less pollution. People in industrialized countries consume more energy and more food than people in other countries. If we lived more frugally, I think things would be a lot better. Of course, I'm against coercing people to buy less or eat less. But I can choose to live simply and hope that others will follow my example.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #19
Spurius Furius

Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote
Of course, ordinary people are partially responsible for pollution. If people bought less stuff, there would be less pollution. People in industrialized countries consume more energy and more food than people in other countries. If we lived more frugally, I think things would be a lot better. Of course, I'm against coercing people to buy less or eat less. But I can choose to live simply and hope that others will follow my example.
The fact of the matter is, there are just too many damn people on this planet. Any conservation efforts we undertake in this country will be dwarfed by the high growth of China and their billion+ population sucking up energy and spewing filth so that they can get a piece of the good life and be more like us. Maybe science will bail us out by finding a cheap renewable energy source; it definitely needs to happen soon if it is not already too late! My cheery thought for the day J
Old 06-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #20

The earth has been around for billions of years. I don't think people could destroy it even if they wanted to. As for the population problem, whenever a species overshoots its carrying capacity, there is a massive die-off. Hopefully, we will be able to reduce our numbers before anything like that happens.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:33 PM   #21
Spurius Furius

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Progress always wins. These conservatives and fundamentalists who wish to neuter progress should instead spend their efforts on.... umm... okay, who wants to finish my sentence? :)

Ten
..... Republican fund raising! I wish they would stick to fighting science.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:38 PM   #22
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Progress always wins. These conservatives and fundamentalists who wish to neuter progress should instead spend their efforts on.... umm... okay, who wants to finish my sentence? :)

Ten
...teaching their children to report Atheists to the nearest police station. :D

Progress = good. Religon = lack of progress.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:40 PM   #23

. . . taking their heads out of their asses.