Old 12-06-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
Accuser of the Brethren

Pretty cool vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8x14cLGh5o&eurl=

Oreilly comes back claiming it's child abuse to indoctrinate a child who can't understand......I think he misses the irony.

www.foxnews.com video section.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 AM   #2
Baphomet

Haha that little girl is awesome
Old 12-06-2006, 01:52 AM   #3
Big Bang

yeah, it's very hypocritical to call this child abuse and brainwashing when the exact same thing (in the opposite direction of course) happens every sunday or and at any other religious event. you hear poor kids having to memorize the bible and recite platitudes that they heard from parents/church.

furthermore, i always figured that if atheist parents were as militant as religious parents were, everyone would call it an indignation and child abuse. never spit into the wind assholes.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
Eva
Super Moderator

this is cap'n awesomes' love child!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

PZ Myers wasn't amused:

Quote:
Pharynugla wrote
This cute kid makes a nice rant that I completely agree with, but yeesh—those aren't her words. She's playing dress-up and prancing in front of a camera, and reciting with child-like enthusiasm words someone else wrote for her. That bugs me.

My kids were brought up without religion, and I know what a genuinely godless kid is like. They're interested in Where's Waldo and Dr Seuss, not Richard Carrier and Robert Ingersoll and Richard Dawkins. They play video games and like the swings at the local park. They run into religious practices when they visit their friends, and they're curious, but it's not a big deal…it's exactly like discovering the different foods their friends' families eat. They don't care about religion.

So sure, this kid is cute, but she rings false. Please, atheists, don't use your children as props in this kind of anti-religious tirade—speak for yourself.
Patriotboy has a different take.

Quote:
Jesus' General wrote
Update from my inner Frenchman:

I can't believe the responses I'm getting from people. You'd think that this kid was reciting Mein Kampf while torturing a kitten the way folks are responding. Let me respond to a few themes I'm seeing.

The kid is being coached.

Of course she is. It's called acting. Do you get this upset about Dakota Fanning?

It's wrong for parents to indoctrinate their children like this.

All parents indoctrinate their children. It's called "passing on values." I was indoctrinated into Mormonism. My wife and I indoctrinated our kids with a liberal world view. Mrs. patriotboy also added a good dose of Judaism. My grandson is being indoctrinated in much the same way. Earlier tonight, his mother explained to him that Jesus wasn't real. It made Mrs. patriotboy and me very happy to see our values being passed on to another generation. That's our legacy.

She cussed a lot.

She said "God damned" and "ass" once each. Nothing more. In my culture, that would be acceptable if you explained to the child that there is a time and place for such language. It's appropriate if the script calls for it in a video, but isn't in everyday life. The kid's parents may live in a culture where it's always appropriate. I don't know. In any event, I thought it added an emotional impact to the script that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

The kid was dressed in a sexually provocative manner.

I don't get this at all. Look at this picture.

She's wearing a top that nobody would give a second thought to if they saw a little girl wearing it in a store or at a birthday party. Go anywhere on a summer day, and most little girls will be wearing something similar.

My guess is that it isn't the top that has people bothered, it's the scarf, the leopard print arm things, or the flower in her hair.

Get a grip. Little girls love playing dress up. If you're excited by leopard print sleeves on a little girl, you need help.

Her parents are teaching her to be intolerant.

Is tolerance of stupid and harmful beliefs really a virtue? I don't think so. I didn't receive any negative feedback when I wrote about Rev. Moon's sacred sex hankies. Why is that?

The little girl was too hard on Christians.

I'm assuming that she's Yellow Thunder Woman's daughter. That would mean that her grandfather was Greg Zephier, an American Indian Movement Leader. Read In the Spirit of Crazy Horse, Agents of Repression: The FBI's Secret Wars Against the Black Panther Party and the American Indian Movement, and The COINTELPRO Papers: Documents from the FBI's Secret Wars Against Dissent in the United States and then tell me if this family should have any respect for America's dominant culture.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #6
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Nice publicity stunt to get people to check out their music. Like the good ol' General said, do people freak out over Dakota Fanning acting?

Edit: The music isn't half-bad either, very Stereolab-ish.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

Damn- I can't get the foxnews video to work.

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
Ickybod

They're making a case of emotional abuse? How do they know she wasn't having a blast behind the scenes? I'll tell you where the emotional abuse is. It's at church! What would happen if there was a huge case on the news about a child being emotionally abused by being forced to worship the biblical god that he/she didn't believe in. What would Bill O' say then? I bet the whole emotional abuse case would go straight out the window in favor of a 'Parents know best' attitude. Jackass.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
Livingstrong

Quote:
Big Bang wrote
yeah, it's very hypocritical to call this child abuse and brainwashing when the exact same thing (in the opposite direction of course) happens every sunday or and at any other religious event. you hear poor kids having to memorize the bible and recite platitudes that they heard from parents/church.
EXACTLY!

This is child abuse:

And this:

And this:

Old 12-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote
Nice publicity stunt to get people to check out their music. Like the good ol' General said, do people freak out over Dakota Fanning acting?

I like the song "Were all going to hell".

The music isnt something I would enjoy on a regular basis, but it is a good break from what I usually listen to.

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
DrunkMonkey wrote
Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote

I like the song "Were all going to hell".

The music isnt something I would enjoy on a regular basis, but it is a good break from what I usually listen to.
I'm really liking the album. It's almost like the love-child of Captain Beefheart and Stereolab. The real cool thing is all of this not just about promoting themselves, but promoting what they feel is the future of music, free through the internet, with advertising through creative online outlets (as in the youtube video) and word of mouth. So go download the album and check it out, you can get it (and all the album art) at http://thebastardfairies.com/.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote