Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #196
SirEdwardCoke

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Sir Edward, I can't speak for anyone else on here, but my main beef with popery is the insidious influence they held for centuries over European government. An empirical control they would still hold today were it not for, yes, first brave protestants, many of whom who may well have seen the jebus cult for the crock of shit it is, but sensibly at the time felt they could only help cure the infected in stages.
Insidious? It wasn't very insidious. To the extent it existed, the efforts to exercise it were fairly open and direct, as were the efforts by the secular rulers to exercise control over the churches and clergy and all sorts of church and religion matters. Nobody anywhere back then believed in any sort of separation of church and state. It was a pretty steady slugfest between the two that did not come even close to stopping because of the Protestant Revolution. Those "brave protestants" then, in many instances, proceeded to attempt to step into the same position and to try to exercise the same control over government or even worse, such as in Switzerland and some of the German states, and to happily slaughter fellow Protestants who didn't dance to their particular Protestant tune, as in Switzerland and Scotland. That's why the Mennonites and other Pennsylvania Dutch types are in the U.S., because they were driven out of Germany by the Lutherans. The Protestants didn't always succeed to the same extent, partly because they were victims of timing -- Protestants didn't come into existence until an era when secular governments were reaching the greatest strength since the collapse of the Roman Empire -- and partly because they were part of no larger, international organization. (The Orthodox churches, particularly in Greece and Czarist Russia, had considerably more success at wielding a political power that would have made any Vatican Machiavelli envious.) Coming into the 20th Century, the Lutheran Church in Germany, which because of its origin had a much stronger identification with German culture than the minority Catholics, was considerably more comfortable with the Nazis than the Catholics. No organized Protestant Church in history of which I am aware abjured exercising whatever secular control it could until modern times.

Quote:
Every step from rome is a step towards progress & away from disgusting hypocrites like these. http://www.bishop-accountability.org...l_BlindEye.htm
Interesting link, since the guy described has supposedly been on the short list to be the next Archbishop of New York, although his star seems to have dimmed lately. The quote attributed to St. John Chrysostom, which I'd not seen before, may actually be watered down. Some sources say there was a sequence of these quotes: (1) St. Athanasius (an archbishop, 293-373): "The floor of hell is covered with the skulls of bishops."; (2) elaborated on by St. John Chrysostom (also an archbishop, 347-407): "The road to hell is paved with the bones of priests and lined with the skulls of bishops."; and then trimmed down again by St. Eudes (an Abbott, from around 600): "The road to hell is paved with the skulls of bishops.".
Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #197
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
SirEdwardCoke wrote View Post
Interesting link, since the guy described has supposedly been on the short list to be the next Archbishop of New York, although his star seems to have dimmed lately. The quote attributed to St. John Chrysostom, which I'd not seen before, may actually be watered down. Some sources say there was a sequence of these quotes: (1) St. Athanasius (an archbishop, 293-373): "The floor of hell is covered with the skulls of bishops."; (2) elaborated on by St. John Chrysostom (also an archbishop, 347-407): "The road to hell is paved with the bones of priests and lined with the skulls of bishops."; and then trimmed down again by St. Eudes (an Abbott, from around 600): "The road to hell is paved with the skulls of bishops.".
Whatever way might be true makes for a very bumpy ride. Haven't seen skulls used as paving material since the opening scene of "Terminator".

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #198
marstosirius

Quote:
SirEdwardCoke wrote View Post
Some sources say there was a sequence of these quotes: (1) St. Athanasius (an archbishop, 293-373): "The floor of hell is covered with the skulls of bishops."; (2) elaborated on by St. John Chrysostom (also an archbishop, 347-407): "The road to hell is paved with the bones of priests and lined with the skulls of bishops."; and then trimmed down again by St. Eudes (an Abbott, from around 600): "The road to hell is paved with the skulls of bishops.".
As a metalhead, I've got to point out that this is one of the most brutal things I've ever heard. I may need to pen a track after this phrase and give Deicide a run for their money.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #199
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Sir Edward,
You will have to excuse me as I am in no way a theologian apart from having a casual interest in the crimes of the popes & an appreciation & gratitude for everyone in history who has taken a step from rome while shovelling shit behind them.

I know practically nothing about calvanists or lutherians & honestly have no interest in religion, I consider all of it no more than childish superstition & fear. What I do know a little about is Scottish protestants & the brave part they played in the emancipation from popery which led to the freedom I enjoy today & the chance for anyone to call themselves an atheist.

The essence of the struggle as I see it was that every man should be allowed to think for himself, not be told how to think by the dogs of the pope. Thousands of Scots were burned at the stake by the papists for, err, reading the bible for fucks sake, at least that's what it was on the surface. The real reason was being able to read full stop, because if they could read & they could translate & they could understand then the game was up for the pope, the bishops & every other snob nosed cunt who was rolling in gold on the backs of the people. It is declared by many that freedom for everyone to think for themselves was won in Scotland & precariously defended against overwhelming odds for us all to enjoy.

Protestants fighting among themselves ha, don't make me laugh. It was protestants fighting against the watered down popery of the English with its retention of bishops, prayer books & divine rights of kings. There is your separation of church & state. The incessant roman spying, blackmail, bribery, & terrorism to try to restore papal rule by proxy was resisted. Including the attempted insidious influence.

Experience told us the stake always followed the mass.

In fact if I might be so bold it was the educated influence of the Scottish protestants that led to the secular constitution in the United States of America & the right for you to practice your anachronistic cult in that country today.

The first split from the original liars was a great thing because we won the right to question. With every badly answered question there is another schism & more people come to their senses.

The End lol.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #200
marstosirius

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Sir Edward,

The End lol.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #201
Waddlie
Still Kate's Bitch...

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
...cunt...
Waddlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #202
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Waddlie wrote View Post
Oops silly me

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #203
Lily

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Sir Edward,
You will have to excuse me as I am in no way a theologian apart from having a casual interest in the crimes of the popes & an appreciation & gratitude for everyone in history who has taken a step from rome while shovelling shit behind them.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #204
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Leave:
Quote:
to go away from : depart <leave the room>
Promise:
Quote:
to pledge to do, bring about, or provide <promise to leave>
Someone needs to brush up on her language skills, and her name rhymes with Silly.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote