Old 05-31-2007, 01:08 PM   #136
SteveG

Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
I try not to question mannequin limbs I have a few in my house and though I make use of them as hat and jewelry racks I’m not really sure why they are there. I thought perhaps this might be the same sort of thing.

What is it called when they keep holy bones?
I think you are thinking of relics
:thumbsup: Thats it!
Would that make sense with the whole maniquine arm thing? Token Relics perhaps?
I really don't know much about the arms Irr was referring to, but I suspect they are unrelated. Relics are usually the bones, or remains of a saint. Every Catholic church has a relic buried under the place where the alter is. the Lourdes thing sounds mostly like a scam to me, but I may be wrong about their intent. I could easily envision it with a good (if misguided) intent.

But I really am continuing to post far beyond I intended and I think I'll be bowing out once again. If you are ever interested in contacting me via email to talk, I'd be more than happy.

In truth, there are only two kinds of people; those who accept dogma and know it, and those who accept dogma and don't know it.
G.K. Chesterton
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:08 PM   #137
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
Mog wrote
Its also the fact that not everyone has their brains (Psychopaths) wired this way. Not only are they not altruistic, but they feel no negative feelings for the evil that they do. They have as much chance to get to heaven as a camel has of going through an eye of the needle, and its not entirely their fault because they were created this way at birth. I could be wrong, but is Christianity based on the premise that everyone has a fair chance to get to heaven or not?
Everyone does have a fair chance, although that is not the ideal way to put it, I don't suppose. If one's psyche is so damaged that it is not possible for one to recognize right and wrong, there can be no culpability. You (all) seem to have a notion of God that makes him little more than an ill-tempered curmudgeon of limited imagination and intelligence. Think big. Very big. Better, smarter, wiser, more compassionate, more attune to the complexities of the human condition than even, even... Richard Dawkins!
The problem is that such a god is not the god defined by Christianity, even the Roman Catholic form of Christianity. This is a deistic god, not a theistic god you are describing.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #138
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
Quote:
SteveG wrote
The level of hate, bitterness, condescension, and superiority that comes across here is nearly toxic.
I really don’t have anything to say to this other than
You're right
It is our way at times
This is so far exaggerated I don't know whether to laugh or laugh harder.
I disagree PC especially in our dealings with Lilly as she feeds the fires with her own hate bitterness condescension and superiority. I'm not suggesting that people should change how they post and I'm more than happy to read around it to get to the meat of whatever topic happens to be at hand but it is at times unnecessary.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:13 PM   #139
Livingstrong

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
Quote:
The level of hate, bitterness, condescension, and superiority that comes across here is nearly toxic.
I really don’t have anything to say to this other than
You're right
It is our way at times
I ask this most sincerely. Do you think that is a healthy thing?

Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
You hit the nail on the head with this one.
I for one respect you primarily because you keep your temper and it speaks well of your character.
I really do appreciate your kind words. It hasn't gone unnoticed that you have been one of the few whose always been charitable to me, and I appreciate that as well.
Hey SteveG, it's nice to see you posting once again! :thumbsup:

How you doing, pal? I know we believe in total different things but your kindness towards me has always been in my heart. I salute you friend.

PS Keep debating my heathens friends, hehehe, .....they have fun debating you back, as you always do it with elegance and kindness.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:18 PM   #140
SteveG

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
That, in fact, is almost always the way it goes down. With one caveat. She's usually far, far worse. That isn't the best example. Just the most recent.
There is plenty of blame to go around, and I'd bet money that Lily would admit that, but I will simply have to disagree with the preponderance of cases. I see the first really low blow (I am not talking about terse or even curt language) come from someone other than Lily.

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Do you realize that when your (figurative your) common speech/writing comes to the point where infidel, heretic, sinner, heathen, un-American and the rest becomes the norm when referring to the non-believers, the negativity has already begun before any of us make a single post?
When have Lily or I ever used such language? and if we haven't (as your figurative implies), why do we get to be your punching bags to whip and beat to take out your frustrations? Thanks, but no thanks.

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Do you realize that for most of us, this is our only refuge from a world where we are the most hated people? Do you realize we have built this community as a sanctuary where we can release some steam?
So...because you are often unfairly labeled as hateful, your answer is to build a place where you can dole out hate?

Have at it then. I'll bow out and won't interfere with your sanctuary.

In truth, there are only two kinds of people; those who accept dogma and know it, and those who accept dogma and don't know it.
G.K. Chesterton
Old 05-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #141
SteveG

Quote:
Mog wrote
Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
Mog wrote
Its also the fact that not everyone has their brains (Psychopaths) wired this way. Not only are they not altruistic, but they feel no negative feelings for the evil that they do. They have as much chance to get to heaven as a camel has of going through an eye of the needle, and its not entirely their fault because they were created this way at birth. I could be wrong, but is Christianity based on the premise that everyone has a fair chance to get to heaven or not?
Everyone does have a fair chance, although that is not the ideal way to put it, I don't suppose. If one's psyche is so damaged that it is not possible for one to recognize right and wrong, there can be no culpability. You (all) seem to have a notion of God that makes him little more than an ill-tempered curmudgeon of limited imagination and intelligence. Think big. Very big. Better, smarter, wiser, more compassionate, more attune to the complexities of the human condition than even, even... Richard Dawkins!
The problem is that such a god is not the god defined by Christianity, even the Roman Catholic form of Christianity. This is a deistic god, not a theistic god you are describing.
You are simply mistaken. I strongly suggest that you pick up the Catechism of the Catholic Church, if you want a hint of who the God we believe in is. It's heavy reading, but believe or not, you'll be far better informed about the nature and understanding of the God of Christianity.

G.K. Chesterton
Old 05-31-2007, 01:23 PM   #142
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
That, in fact, is almost always the way it goes down. With one caveat. She's usually far, far worse. That isn't the best example. Just the most recent.
There is plenty of blame to go around, and I'd bet money that Lily would admit that, but I will simply have to disagree with the preponderance of cases. I see the first really low blow (I am not talking about terse or even curt language) come from someone other than Lily.
I couldn't disagree more.

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Do you realize that when your (figurative your) common speech/writing comes to the point where infidel, heretic, sinner, heathen, un-American and the rest becomes the norm when referring to the non-believers, the negativity has already begun before any of us make a single post?
When have Lily or I ever used such language? and if we haven't (as your figurative implies), why do we get to be your punching bags to whip and beat to take out your frustrations? Thanks, but no thanks.
You're not, except in your own mind. My "figurative" is just what you think it is. We (most of us, anyways) do no such thing to either of you.

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Do you realize that for most of us, this is our only refuge from a world where we are the most hated people? Do you realize we have built this community as a sanctuary where we can release some steam?
So...because you are often unfairly labeled as hateful, your answer is to build a place where you can dole out hate?
What an over-the-top, hyperbolic, ridiculously false statement. We "dole out hate," huh? You're full of straw-men today. Do we "dole out hate" on Falwell? Chuck Norris? Fred Phelps? Of course.

Quote:
SteveG wrote
You have the free will to do so. ;)

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:25 PM   #143
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote

Quote:
SteveG wrote

It isn’t a matter of the language that is used its all about intent. I don’t see a difference between Lilly tossing out the opinions of some of our younger forum members based solely on their ages and PC calling names or posting cow pictures. in a way throwing out peoples opinions is more offensive than the cow pics. If the indentation is to hurt someone unnecessarily (and when is it ever necessary) the words used cease to matter.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:26 PM   #144
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Mog wrote
Quote:
Lily wrote
You are simply mistaken. I strongly suggest that you pick up the Catechism of the Catholic Church, if you want a hint of who the God we believe in is. It's heavy reading, but believe or not, you'll be far better informed about the nature and understanding of the God of Christianity.
I don't think it would convince me. The god Lily is describing isn't the same god that played the jews as heavy favorites in the old testament. Regardless of how God said to disregard the old laws in the old testament, this is an ugly blemish on the reputation of god as a "better, smarter, wiser, more compassionate, more attuned to the complexities of the human condition" than even, well I prefer Douglas R Hofstadter, myself, though he has yet to put out an atheist manifesto-like book.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:29 PM   #145
Lily

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Now, let me look WAY back in time to...the last time I engaged Lily. Yesterday.

http://ravingatheists.com/forum/view...232730#p232730

I feel like I am looking in a fun house mirror. None of this makes any sense. What on earth can you possibly mean? What is wrong with what I wrote? I disagreed with you! Big deal.

Now, if by refuge, you mean that you want no theists here, say so. Ban us, if telling us that you don't want theists in your sanctuary isn't enough. But for heaven's sake stop whining about how hated you are. It is mostly in your own minds.

As for Just US Chickens What on earth do you mean? I disagree PC especially in our dealings with Lilly as she feeds the fires with her own hate bitterness condescension and superiority Nobody coming upon what I have written without presuppositions would find bitterness (about what?), hate (whom do I hate? What have I said that suggests that I hate anyone?) Condescension? Maybe-- superiority? What superiority? Obviously, I have a superior education in one way than others here. Is that the problem? If so, I don't get it. Choobus, loathsome as he goes out of his way to be, is certainly my superior in all sciences-- do I get my knickers in a twist about that? No, I read what he writes about science with real respect and, I hope, profit.

In other words, it would be cool if you would parse that sentence for me. Backing it up with examples would be really instructive.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #146
HappyNat

Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
plastic wrapped saints?
I really liked their first couple of albums, but then they sold out. If you ever get a chance to see them in concert it is worth the price of admission. :D
Old 05-31-2007, 01:33 PM   #147
SteveG

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
What an over-the-top, hyperbolic, ridiculously false statement. We "dole out hate," huh? You're full of straw-men today.
PC, I think you know that I like you, and I think you are a genuinely good guy, but as a regular participant I think you’ve lost all sense of perspective on this.

Any ‘passerby’ wandering into these forums who wasn’t already a raving atheist would see the same thing.

If that’s the way you want it, I can dig that, it is the raving atheists after all. But please don’t play the tired straw man card and pretend otherwise.

Fin.

G.K. Chesterton
Old 05-31-2007, 01:36 PM   #148
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Now, let me look WAY back in time to...the last time I engaged Lily. Yesterday.

http://ravingatheists.com/forum/view...232730#p232730

I feel like I am looking in a fun house mirror. None of this makes any sense. What on earth can you possibly mean? What is wrong with what I wrote? I disagreed with you! Big deal.

Now, if by refuge, you mean that you want no theists here, say so. Ban us, if telling us that you don't want theists in your sanctuary isn't enough. But for heaven's sake stop whining about how hated you are. It is mostly in your own minds.

As for Just US Chickens What on earth do you mean? I disagree PC especially in our dealings with Lilly as she feeds the fires with her own hate bitterness condescension and superiority Nobody coming upon what I have written without presuppositions would find bitterness (about what?), hate (whom do I hate? What have I said that suggests that I hate anyone?) Condescension? Maybe-- superiority? What superiority? Obviously, I have a superior education in one way than others here. Is that the problem? If so, I don't get it. Choobus, loathsome as he goes out of his way to be, is certainly my superior in all sciences-- do I get my knickers in a twist about that? No, I read what he writes about science with real respect and, I hope, profit.

In other words, it would be cool if you would parse that sentence for me. Backing it up with examples would be really instructive.
If you can't see that your immediate choice of tone and words comes off as hateful, hateable, smug, condescending, and more, I don't know what to tell you. You're beyond hope in recognizing same.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:39 PM   #149
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
Lily wrote

Lilly, perhaps its simply your writing style and you just come off that way. If so you have my apologies regardless of whether that is the case or not that is how you come across. I don’t feel the need to go hunting down examples as you will simply disagree that your writings sound condescending etc.

In all honesty I value the fact that you disagree things are boring when we don’t have anyone to debate I could care less about your level of education as long as you have something interesting to say. Like I said perhaps its just your writing style at times though especially when you are responding rudely (IMO) to someone who is trying to engage you in conversation I have a hard time believing that your written tone is unintentional.

Sorry if I've offended you but this is the way I see things.

Also it dosent make it OK or polite for the other posters to call you names it just dosent shock me when they do. Its still rude of them but then one should never expect manners in an internet forum. That just isnt the way things work
Old 05-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #150
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
HappyNat wrote
Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
plastic wrapped saints?
I really liked their first couple of albums, but then they sold out. If you ever get a chance to see them in concert it is worth the price of admission. :D
:cheers: