Old 06-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Whisper

Friday 13th?

I was going through my inbox on Y!G this afternoon, when I noticed an aquaintance had put up the following poll:
Quote:
Are You Superstitious?

Today's Friday the 13th. Are you superstitious?

No
A little
Yes
I'm actually quite pleased to note that the majority vote (at the time I voted) was 'No' with 15 votes ('Yes' 1, 'A Little' 5).

And I left my little comment:
Quote:
Not in the slightest. I understand the law of truly large numbers, confirmation bias and selective thinking. I also don't believe in ghosts, angels, demons, the devil or god (or any particular socieities versions of same). It's just a day like any other - in fact, I didn't even know it was 'friday 13th' today, until I saw your poll.
Honestly? I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Though I now feel like looking up just exactly why people think Friday 13th is an unlucky day.

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
ubs
I Live Here

What a great topic Whisper.

According to Wikipedia, Friday the 13th is evil because 13 is the number of people at the last supper and Friday is the day Jesus was crucified.

Since the resurrection was an awesome thing that saved us all from eternal damnation, I don't know why those are bad, but they are!

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Whisper

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post

According to Wikipedia, Friday the 13th is evil because 13 is the number of people at the last supper and Friday is the day Jesus was crucified.

Since the resurrection was an awesome thing that saved us all from eternal damnation, I don't know why those are bad, but they are!
Thanks ^^

It does make one wonder how they came to the conclusion that Jesus was crucified on a friday - considering the calendar has been changed a couple of times since then and the Hebrew calendar didn't even correspond to the Roman one anyway.

I do remember reading somewhere that 13 was supposed to be the number of witches needed to make a coven. But I think I need to look that one up.

And again - this all makes me wonder why people are obsessed with the number 13 and the number 7. More research is needed!

*poddles off to look things up*

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Chris
Please vote!

I wouldn't say I'm superstitious but, last year my Dad died on Friday, July 13th. Didn't seem at all like his lucky day.

"Where they burn books, they will in the end also burn people." ~ Heinrich Heine
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
Chris
Please vote!

Quote:
Whisper wrote View Post
And again - this all makes me wonder why people are obsessed with the number 13 and the number 7. More research is needed!
Don't forget the number 23.

"Where they burn books, they will in the end also burn people." ~ Heinrich Heine
Old 06-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Chris wrote View Post
I wouldn't say I'm superstitious but, last year my Dad died on Friday, July 13th. Didn't seem at all like his lucky day.
Oh Chris! That is really sad. I'm so sorry.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post

Well, it does mark the beginning of when Jeebs began his transformation from kind and loving half man-god thing into full fledged brain eating zombie jeebs. That sounds pretty bad to me.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Are you superstitious?
No. It's just a load of stupid non-sensical bollox.
I'll only drink Drambuie on a day with a "Y" in it.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Well, blame it to the Christ-psychotics for making Friday the 13th an unlucky day. Long, long time ago in a Christ-psychosis infected land far far away there were a bunch of crazy but successful men, they were merchants mind you guarding a temple helping the needy. Penis Christ in a golden hood was the god they served, but all was not well, they were envied by a grand retard indeed, it was Boniface the fifth. Gay Phillip the fourth was the King of France a retarded and ambitious man. All the Templars were rounded up.

After stealing the Templar's money to please the resurrected phony, it was in 1309 that he & Phillip send their cronies, to burn at the stake, that good man De Moley. Bad luck indeed was for him, the day was Friday the thirteen.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Chris
Please vote!

Just wanted to note that I got my period yesterday, so the cures of Friday the 13th is all true!

Old 06-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Chris wrote View Post
Just wanted to note that I got my period yesterday, so the cures of Friday the 13th is all true!
AHHHH..praised be Penis-Christ who by abstaining from depositing offering at the Cave, initiated the Blood sacrifice of millions of anxious holy swimmers. This monthly sacrifice was depicted as a bleeding vessica Pisces.
Oremus. Benedicte est o cavernam Deum

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
Well, blame it to the Christ-psychotics for making Friday the 13th an unlucky day. Long, long time ago in a Christ-psychosis infected land far far away there were a bunch of crazy but successful men, they were merchants mind you guarding a temple helping the needy. Penis Christ in a golden hood was the god they served, but all was not well, they were envied by a grand retard indeed, it was Boniface the fifth. Gay Phillip the fourth was the King of France a retarded and ambitious man. All the Templars were rounded up.

After stealing the Templar's money to please the resurrected phony, it was in 1309 that he & Phillip send their cronies, to burn at the stake, that good man De Moley. Bad luck indeed was for him, the day was Friday the thirteen.
Yep, but they knew part of the truth, some of them escape to Scotland & fight for SNP. They then go back to America for second time & start your stupid Pantyist constitution.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
Infinity_Cartier

I watch at least one Friday the 13th movie every Friday the 13th.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
Choobus
I Live Here

What do you do on september 11, punch a muslim?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #15
Isilmë

Quote:
Chris wrote View Post
Don't forget the number 23.
That movie was so bad, I laughed all the way through.