Old 11-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Nonsensical Christian Beliefs

I think that it is entertaining to see just what doctrines Christians are defending so vehemently. Here's part of an interview that just stymied me. This guys states an obvious contradiction without, apparently, being bothered that it is one. He gives this as a straight-faced answer in an interview, and yet presents it as fact. What kind of brainwashing does one have to be put through to be able to do such a thing?

QUESTION: Do people of other religions worship the same God as Christians?

WARREN: Of course not. Christians have a view of God that is unique. We believe Jesus is God! We believe God is a Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Not 3 separate gods but one God. No other faith believes Jesus is God. My God is Jesus. The belief in God as a Trinity is the foundational difference between Christians and everyone else. There are 2.1 billion people who call themselves Christians... whether Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Pentecostal, or Evangelical... and they all have the doctrine of the Trinity in common. Hindus, Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Unitarians, and everyone else do not accept what Jesus taught about the Trinity.

Highlights are mine.

The whole article:

http://www.edstetzer.com/2012/03/ric...-on-musli.html

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Michael
Obsessed Member

Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Smart aleck. But you're right.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Rugby, tv and beer eh?

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

If only our Police were so effcient at solving crime

Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Just curious - what is the date on that goat story?

Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
Smart aleck. But you're right.

Just curious - what is the "not valid after" date on that Bible?

Old 11-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Just curious - what is the "not valid after" date on that Bible?

Don't think it has one. But it should. And that date should be hundreds of years old.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Fubex
New Member!

I find it strikingly funny when I hear people say "Well it says in the Bible" like you're supposed to say "Oh well, it says it in the Bible then it must be true" "Carve it in stone". It never crosses some peoples minds that not everybody shares your belief system.

The greatest strength of the fascist is the tolerance of the pacifist.
Fubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Irreligious
I Live Here

Of course not. True believers perceive their beliefs as "The Truth." No ifs, ands or buts about it.

For the true believers (be they Christian, Muslim, animist or New Ager), neither evidence, nor the lack of it, is permitted to intrude upon faith. There can't be any outside intrusion, or the spell (read "high") is broken and the potential for crisis ensues.

Seriously, faith is some powerful shit, man. It is, perhaps, the most powerful delusion (drug?) known to humankind. That's why it's such a hard thing to combat.

It's so powerful, some folks are compelled to fake having it just to get along with all the other faith-filled folk. That's because the faith-filled (and they appear to be legion in number), generally, don't cotton much to the faithless.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Fubex wrote View Post
I find it strikingly funny when I hear people say "Well it says in the Bible" like you're supposed to say "Oh well, it says it in the Bible then it must be true" "Carve it in stone". It never crosses some peoples minds that not everybody shares your belief system.
Yeah, that always gives me a giggle, too. The Bible says that the Bible is true, so if it says it in the Bible, then it must be true! The almost perfectly circular nature of this fallacious reasoning is almost beautiful in its grotesquery.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
psychodiva
I Live Here

Cognitive Dissonance is a powerful mental tool in the perpetuation of religion

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
Stevo_fl
New Member!

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
I love it that the man/goat was attempting to steal a Mazda 323. Fantastic. But why not change into a bird and simply fly to your destination? Sort of like flooding the entire world and killing everything in stead of just having a word with a few offenders, who's minds you control anyway...
Stevo_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
RationalCat
New Member!

It's why I get irritated by the endless semantic arguments. Like what I just noticed on the Raving Theist's site (entered it accidentally trying to find this place): "Let's say you have a computer, and there's a picture of a cube on the computer. Now let's say there's a bunch of random words......" arrrgghh. These dopey TRICKS they use, they're so SMUG about "tricking" an atheist into saying something.

Like my co-worker, a Christian who's at least open to listening me talk about atheism. He showed me some FB nonsense with twin babies in utero having a conversation. "What's out there?" "Oh I don't know, all there is is Mom and our cozy little world, so there must not be anything else....." UGH!!!

Really what it boils down to is lack of evidence. The bible is lacking in evidence, and even the stuff that might be based on experience can be explained scientifically (now) in many cases.

Atheists have more in common with those fetuses than religious people do, actually. We admit we don't know, but not knowing doesn't = "God." We won't worry about it until we get there. Fetuses sure don't.

My husband is an engineer who doesn't even bother "getting into it" with his family or anybody. He dismisses the notion of "God" and that's that. But I mentioned how theists cite the 2nd (?) law of thermodynamics as "proof" that we were created.

I asked him, "What do you know about thermodynamics?" and he said, "I took a whole class on it." That was the first time I saw him actively ponder a religious claim and formulate a response. I don't remember it offhand, but wanted him warmed up in case his mother brings it up at our next visit.
RationalCat is offline   Reply With Quote