Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #16
psychodiva
I Live Here

as one guilty of altering posts for comic and grammar nazi intent- and pure devilry when it comes to Cal I agree- the line needs to be moveable and I trust the all-knowing all-drinking mods to know when and if it has been jumped across and / or stomped on

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
Sol

Changing and modifying qoutes is a 'kin heinous crime and should be stopped.
I've seen some what have misquoteified or taken out of context things what like have been sed by scientists and such.
They have cut and pasted stuff what is not aktually what the scientist has sed innit.
These peoples shud have their nadgers narcotically nullified or summat.

Professor Plum - In the Dinning Room - with the Lead Pipe...
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
This prickly subject occasionally rears its ugly, zit infested head, so I thought a bit of digging might be in order.

Although not in Chris’ main Forum Rules - way back in 2006 (even before my time) Tenspace put out a notice stipulating that posts should not be amended, but quoted as written. It would be enlightening if any of you ol’ timers could clarify exactly how this came about, if at all there was an ‘incident’ that prompted it.

I’m as guilty as anybody of altering quotes for comic and abusive effect, usually aimed at passing theist idiots (or Jerry & spamming wankers) and I’d like to think it’s painfully obvious when it’s done. Eg, it’s now glaringly apparent that Pahu is not here to engage, but simply to spam his chum Walt Brown’s bullshit creationist website. We could just ban him, but I reckon taking down his shite and passing on a bit of abuse will induce his self dismissal.

If a quote is amended to try and alter the meaning or intent of a message, I’d judge this to be criminal and deserving of something far more serious than the death penalty or withdrawal of alcohol privileges. However, there are occasions where a quote is altered, but the alterations identified using strikeout or bolding and an accompanying note as to why the change. I have no problem with this.

So, what do you buggers think? Strict adherence? A bit of give & take? Or don’t give a shit? No doubt Eva & Prof will have different opinions and we might have to settle this over loadsa beer & drambuie at some point!
I wonder if newbies would see a comedic modification, not get the joke, then conclude that modified quotes were all right.

Honest magicians tell you up front that they are tricking and lying to you while dishonest ones pretend they really have magic/occult powers. For quoting we are just not in the habit of signalling our humorous or satirical or other intention.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
I distinctly remember an incident where Lily the lying Catholic cow made subtle semantic changes to some of the atheist posts she quoted, as a sort of convert strawman. It was just one of the many examples of her dishonesty.
More Catholics convert to strawmen than Buddhists do (unpublished recent correspondence).

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
I vote for a bit of give and take.

On a side note, the Stealers are a bunch of pansies and are going to finish last in the AFC.
I agree with Prof, there should be a little give and take in the matter...

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #21
West491
Obsessed Member

The Lions are gonna (hopefully) own the NFC this season. If everyone can stay healthy for crying out loud.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #22
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
The Lions are gonna (hopefully) own the NFC this season. If everyone can stay healthy for crying out loud.
This right here is hilarious. The NFC North is freaking scary, but I don't think the Lions are going to own the NFC. The Packers look just as good as they did last year, the Bears should probably do better as long as they can keep Cutler from getting sacked 11 times a game, and the Lions have a shot at going to the playoffs if everything comes together. My team, the Vikings, will land solidly in last place in the NFC North, I doubt they'll even break 8-8 (6-10 more likely IMO).

Maybe I should become a Broncos fan now that I'm living here in the mountains... what am I saying? There are no such things as Broncos fans.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #23
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
I agree with Prof, there should be a little give and take in the matter...
The Steelers have averaged a Super Bowl appearance every 2.0 years since 2005, so this is probably the "off" year.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #24
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
This is absolutely hilarious. I will say that the Lions are my sleeper team. I think they're going to be pretty good. And you've got a Monday Night Football game at home!

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #25
nkb
He who walks among the theists

I'm with the crowd on this one, some give and take is needed, and the mods, when they're not rip-roaring drunk, can judge whether a misquote is done for comedic or for nefarious purposes.

Or, we can always go the Choobus route, and slightly change the name of the poster you are quoting, to abide by the letter of the law.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #26
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Yes, I've heard Choobus was a real stickler for etiquette and politeness.

We should follow his example!

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #27
Eva
Super Moderator

fucking shit. after all the fun i've been having with Irene (that cunt), i'm sending her up there so you gringos can share the fun.

got running water today but power will take about 4 more days. it's not fun.

changing quotes is a case by case thing. if it's for comedic purposes, im all for it.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #28
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Aw Eva I hope you get your power back sooner, loss of electric power is a huge PITA, but it has given me a new appreciation for power companies, or at least power company personnel!

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #29
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Us gringos in North Texas would love to get a little Irene here (without the power outages, of course). We've had one of the hottest and dryest summers on record, and rain (even in large amounts) would be a welcome sight to counter this brutal drought.

Hope things go back to normal for you soon, Eva.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote