Old 10-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #31
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
Is this a commentary on my poor proofreading skills or what you perceive as my general cluelessness?

If I am missing something that you see clearly as it regards this topic, please help out, if you can. I really want to understand.

On the other hand, if you think I am hopelessly without a clue on this topic, I'll understand why you don't want to bother.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #32
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
inter-erection
Freudian?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 10-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #33
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
There are so many better things to read than the bible. Read what you want to read. There are so many classics that actually make you think and allow you to respect the author's skill, even if it is pure science fiction. At least science fiction is labeled "science fiction" and not "truth as inspired by the Sky Daddy".

And yes, when I do my research, I try not to go in expecting to support what I think is true.
One (sadly) cannot appreciate most of the fine literature in English without familiarity with the Bible. Even good Science Fiction is peppered with references to the Bible.
Virtually all of the names used in "Stranger in a Strange Land" and the title itself, are from the Bible and recognizing those names gives much deeper insights to the characters the author was portraying.

When you read along and find something about "forbidden fruit", you just can't understand it fully without the story in Genesis.

I am not a fan of the Bible by any means; ask anyone. To me it is a horrible book and, contrary to the reflexive opinions of many people, I do not think it is good literature.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #34
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Is this a commentary on my poor proofreading skills or what you perceive as my general cluelessness?

If I am missing something that you see clearly as it regards this topic, please help out, if you can. I really want to understand.

On the other hand, if you think I am hopelessly without a clue on this topic, I'll understand why you don't want to bother.
it was a joke- you hitting yourself over the head

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #35
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
No, I haven't. Does that disqualify me from weighing in with my concerns about approaching the phenomenon of same-sex attraction from the perspective that renegade genes or anomalous hormones may be at the root of homosexuality?
No, it sounded like you were asking for more information. I thought those two books did a good job of providing it.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad

Last edited by Professor Chaos; 10-18-2010 at 05:15 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #36
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
it was a joke- you hitting yourself over the head
Oh. Yeah, I'm a doofus when it comes to catching my own mistakes. I really do depend on the kindness of strangers (and friends ) to point them out for me most of the time.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 10-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #37
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post
No, it sounded like you were asking for more information. I thought those two books did a good job of providing it.
Ah. Cool. Thanks.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 10-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #38
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Oh. Yeah, I'm a doofus when it comes to catching my own mistakes. I really do depend on the kindness of strangers (and friends ) to point them out for me most of the time.
I find that a crappy short-term memory helps me see my stuff as new and written by a stranger and there are very few who are stranger.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #39
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
One (sadly) cannot appreciate most of the fine literature in English without familiarity with the Bible. Even good Science Fiction is peppered with references to the Bible.
Virtually all of the names used in "Stranger in a Strange Land" and the title itself, are from the Bible and recognizing those names gives much deeper insights to the characters the author was portraying.

When you read along and find something about "forbidden fruit", you just can't understand it fully without the story in Genesis.

I am not a fan of the Bible by any means; ask anyone. To me it is a horrible book and, contrary to the reflexive opinions of many people, I do not think it is good literature.
You do have a good point, you do indeed.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote