Old 01-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #166
Francis

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
You are obviously too stupid to realize the atheists on this board are atheists, Thus, your crowing about your "Jefferson Christianity" is simply nuts, since none of us give a fuck.

Any observer can see that you are a confused fellow. No need to further illustrate that.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #167
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Any observer can see that you are a confused fellow. No need to further illustrate that.
You state nothing either verifiable or unexpected

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #168
Francis

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
You state nothing either verifiable or unexpected

No, in this case your confusion is, in fact, verifiable. Your post about Thomas Jefferson Christians was in response to JerryJohn, who did not repeatedly (as I have) claim to be a TJ Christian.

No problem though. No one needed that factually verifiable example of your confusion in order to determine that you are inherently mixed up.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #169
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
No, in this case your confusion is, in fact, verifiable. Your post about Thomas Jefferson Christians was in response to JerryJohn, who did not repeatedly (as I have) claim to be a TJ Christian.

No problem though. No one needed that factually verifiable example of your confusion in order to determine that you are inherently mixed up.
Illustrates how much attention I pay to the gibberish from drooling trolls.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #170
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Please tell us about the goldfish again, Francis! Oh, please!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #171
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
I did not change, hedge or fudge the exercise in the slightest. Your attempt to exchange human, air breathing eyesight for fish eyesight is among the silliest I have heard..

Fisheye Lens
With One Adapter Ring
$50-55.00

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/fisheye-lens/

Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #172
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post

Old 01-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #173
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Fisheye Lens
With One Adapter Ring
$50-55.00

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/fisheye-lens/

I know this is meant to be a joke at Francis' expense, but that actually looks like a pretty good idea, assuming it does what it says it does.
Lenses are expensive as fuck, y'all.

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:25 AM   #174
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Francis, can we have another one of your analogies, pleeeeze!

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:33 AM   #175
Francis

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
Francis, can we have another one of your analogies, pleeeeze!
No. I am working in another creative direction.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:54 AM   #176
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
I am working in another creative direction.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #177
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
No. I am working in another creative direction.
I could have sworn you claimed not to be a creationist......

Would one of these help?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #178
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Francis, our visiting scientist, with his goldfish dilemma, has unearthed a paradox which will doubtless baffle Cosmologists for decades to come.
In his brilliant equivalency of the edge of the universe with the glass boundary of an aquarium (surely a Nobel is forthcoming!) , one cannot help but wonder about the boundary at the edge of the universe. Is it transparent? If so, undoubtedly it offers a view out into nothingness. In the absence of light, nothingness must look like a black wall. So, how can one determine whether the edge is transparent into blackness, or is itself a black wall? We have great faith in Francis ability to resolve this fundamental dilemna of modern physics!
In either case, we are still left with the puzzle of how the "shadows" of the "gods" are visible in the blackness of the void. Surely, Francis can enlighten us!

Old 01-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #179
Francis

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Francis, our visiting scientist, with his goldfish dilemma, has unearthed a paradox which will doubtless baffle Cosmologists for decades to come.
In his brilliant equivalency of the edge of the universe with the glass boundary of an aquarium (surely a Nobel is forthcoming!) , one cannot help but wonder about the boundary at the edge of the universe. Is it transparent? If so, undoubtedly it offers a view out into nothingness. In the absence of light, nothingness must look like a black wall. So, how can one determine whether the edge is transparent into blackness, or is itself a black wall? We have great faith in Francis ability to resolve this fundamental dilemna of modern physics!
In either case, we are still left with the puzzle of how the "shadows" of the "gods" are visible in the blackness of the void. Surely, Francis can enlighten us!
Your question is reasonable.

There is no analogy nor allegory that exactly duplicates all conditions of the situation it is analogizing.

I took note of a few things when creating it. I took note of the fact that, although the Bible talks about a burning bush that speaks and is not consumed by the fire, the movie the Ten Commandments has a burning bush that speaks and is not consumed by fire. I thought of the cloud of death in Egypt and the cloud of Chinese pollution over Los Angeles a few years back.

I concluded that, to the ancients, we might be thought of as gods. Then I asked where the gulf of power and intelligence was very great, and settled on goldfish. After all, our power over them is great. We control, whether they mate, if they are comfortable and whether they live or die.

If humans had an entity that controlled whether we mated, whether we were comfortable and whether or not we lived, a lot of people would conclude the entity was a god.

There is no glass wall on the edge of the universe, in fact there is no evidence and no theory that indicate the universe even has an edge. The aquarium is the fish universe if you will. It is not a precisely equivalent analogy. I have never seen one of those in any context.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #180
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
There is no analogy nor allegory that exactly duplicates all conditions of the situation it is analogizing.

I took note of a few things when creating it. I took note of the fact that, although the Bible talks about a burning bush that speaks and is not consumed by the fire, the movie the Ten Commandments has a burning bush that speaks and is not consumed by fire. I thought of the cloud of death in Egypt and the cloud of Chinese pollution over Los Angeles a few years back..
The relevance to the goldfish analogy somehow utterly eludes me.
Quote:
I concluded that, to the ancients, we might be thought of as gods. Then I asked where the gulf of power and intelligence was very great, and settled on goldfish. After all, our power over them is great. We control, whether they mate, if they are comfortable and whether they live or die.
Personally, I would have thought the gulf between humans and amoebas greater.

Quote:
If humans had an entity that controlled whether we mated, whether we were comfortable and whether or not we lived, a lot of people would conclude the entity was a god.
Many would consider such entity to be government, of which there are numerous, and none seem to operate from outside the universe.

Quote:
There is no glass wall on the edge of the universe, in fact there is no evidence and no theory that indicate the universe even has an edge. The aquarium is the fish universe if you will. It is not a precisely equivalent analogy. I have never seen one of those in any context.
I'm sure there are good analogies of hell. Probably a list is readily available on the Web. I'd be surprised if stepping on a bouncing betty wasn't on the list. One of those can ruin your whole day.