Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #31
Rat Bastard

Quit being a catlicker. It gets easier every day. And when I think of how I used to go to church, and realize how pagan it was (despite the alleged "betterness" of this particular alleged "god"), it makes me laugh that people can study in a field like Genetic Engineering and not leave the church- any church.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #32
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
marstosirius wrote View Post
So I have a buddy who's studying biomedical engineering here, and he's a Catholic. As this is his senior year, he's a bit hesitant to change his major at the last minute (and tuition is fucking ridiculous, who can blame him?), what should he do? He will definitely be working in the field of genetic engineering here in about two months. He (jokingly) suggested stopping at a church every evening after work to repent. I suggested not being catholic.

What's the consensus?
Maybe the Church should compromise and sell daily absolutions on a subscription basis, like little "Get out of Hell Free" cards.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #33
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
The Catholic church, the Great Deceivers, created Christ out of the Cult of Caesar, introduced pedophilia stagnating the intellect of humanity. After 1700 years they have profited immensely from its LIES..and since the vast majority of people are gullible and ignorant they succumb to the fantasies of those retarded folks who were in control of kingdoms.

They have a quaint sentence ( I wish I could use it on my creditors) which they have been uttering for centuries after receiving donations. It is: Dios se lo pague" ( god will pay you )

They created the "donation of constantinus" stealing the lans where the Vatican stands today. They forge a document where it says Constantinus I gave the Church those lands...and this is only one out of many FORGERIES...Ahh blessed be PEnis-Christ..,,,let's kneel, clasp the god in reverence kissing his bold one eye head, hoping he spits its blessings...
Oy vey, the forgery pen of Penis-Christ that writes with white ink.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #34
Rat Bastard

But then some lutheran's gonna come and nail his feces to the church's doors.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #35
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Rat Bastard wrote View Post
Quit being a catlicker. It gets easier every day. And when I think of how I used to go to church, and realize how pagan it was (despite the alleged "betterness" of this particular alleged "god"), it makes me laugh that people can study in a field like Genetic Engineering and not leave the church- any church.
It must not be all that laughable since there are Catholic astronomers and geologists and anthropologists and even Catholic mathematicians (God can't count).

Even under harsh treatment, Galileo did not do as he should and said to the Church "I am no longer a member of an organization that denies the visible truth in favor of old invisible lies."

Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #36
Lily

Quote:
So I have a buddy who's studying biomedical engineering here, and he's a Catholic. As this is his senior year, he's a bit hesitant to change his major at the last minute (and tuition is fucking ridiculous, who can blame him?), what should he do? He will definitely be working in the field of genetic engineering here in about two months. He (jokingly) suggested stopping at a church every evening after work to repent. I suggested not being catholic.

What's the consensus?
I dunno. If I want good medical advice, I will seek out a doctor; not my letter carrier and not my roofing contractor. In your friend's case he should talk to his priest, pronto.

If he *knows* that the kind of work he will be doing is morally wrong, then he has no choice. He is going to have to make a decision-- one or the other. (Why is he only now facing up to the potential problem?) However, there may be any number of areas within his field that are perfectly licit. He needs to get good advice, if this is really weighing on him. Well-meant advice won't do.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #37
marstosirius

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I dunno. If I want good medical advice, I will seek out a doctor; not my letter carrier and not my roofing contractor. In your friend's case he should talk to his priest, pronto.

If he *knows* that the kind of work he will be doing is morally wrong, then he has no choice. He is going to have to make a decision-- one or the other. (Why is he only now facing up to the potential problem?) However, there may be any number of areas within his field that are perfectly licit. He needs to get good advice, if this is really weighing on him. Well-meant advice won't do.

Ahh, but the question is, what about genetic engineering is morally wrong? The end goal for the majority of work is the curing of diseases/growing of crops, etc. and improvement of the overall quality of life for all folks.

And I don't think many Catholics (especially these days) take it seriously, so it takes something earth-shattering from the Vatican (like additions to the mortal sin list) to get their attention.

For the record, it's not really weighing on him. We were just musing.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #38
Lily

Quote:
Ahh, but the question is, what about genetic engineering is morally wrong? The end goal for the majority of work is the curing of diseases/growing of crops, etc. and improvement of the overall quality of life for all folks.

And I don't think many Catholics (especially these days) take it seriously, so it takes something earth-shattering from the Vatican (like additions to the mortal sin list) to get their attention.

For the record, it's not really weighing on him. We were just musing.
Anything that uses human beings as a means to an end is immoral. So, to take the most recent, well-known example, creating embryos for stem cells and then destroying them is intrinsically evil, no matter how many diseases might be cured. And lots and lots of Catholics, Protestants, Jews, ethical atheists, etc. take these matters very seriously, indeed.

However, modifying plants, to improve crop yields? Very good. Thus, the possibility that a moral person can work in this field.

Nothing new has been added to the list of mortal sins. See #21 in this very thread (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/show...3&postcount=21)
Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #39
marstosirius

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Anything that uses human beings as a means to an end is immoral.
I'd disagree with that, but just because of semantics. Technically, sex is a means to an end (pregnancy/childbirth/fun) that involves humans.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
So, creating embryos for stem cells and then destroying them is intrinsically evil, no matter how many diseases might be cured.
I'm assuming this is what you mean by use of human beings as an end?

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
And lots and lots of Catholics, Protestants, Jews, ethical atheists, etc. take these matters very seriously, indeed. However, modifying plants, to improve crop yields? Very good. Thus, the possibility that it is possible for a moral person to work in this field.
I agree some folks take the issue very seriously, but the point I was trying to make was that modern US Catholics are, for the most part, completely out of touch with the Vatican.

And some (many really) would disagree with you on the morality of genetically modified (GM) crops. It's a hot topic these days. Won't find a fight from me though.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Nothing new has been added to the list of mortal sins. See #21 in this very thread (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/show...3&postcount=21)
Good catch, I misread which bin the sin went in. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #40
Rat Bastard

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Oy vey, the forgery pen of Penis-Christ that writes with white ink.
Tosh, I've forged 2 out of 3 atheist progeny in my own home with that "ink". And the only reason I say 2 out of 3 is because I'm not sure about the youngest son...yet. He hasn't come out one way or the other yet, though he seems to be leaning toward atheist by his actions.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #41
marstosirius

Quote:
Rat Bastard wrote View Post
He hasn't come out one way or the other yet, though he seems to be leaning toward atheist by his actions.
Hasn't taken a liking to throwing stones at his classmates?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #42
Rat Bastard

FAR more reasonable than that, by any measure. Can you believe what those primitive people do to each other? Stoning? Damn! Sure, that's high on my list.
Now, if I could get him to stop stowing thrones in the attic...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #43
Desillusioned

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
It must not be all that laughable since there are Catholic astronomers and geologists and anthropologists and even Catholic mathematicians (God can't count).

Even under harsh treatment, Galileo did not do as he should and said to the Church "I am no longer a member of an organization that denies the visible truth in favor of old invisible lies."
Maybe the threat of being burned at the stake had something to do with it?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #44
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Teachers have to fake social acceptance? I sure won't be taking my sister out in public any more!
Don't be obtuse you know exactly what I mean. Predators in the church are already weird so they can prey without the burden of normality.

Answer this. Does the celibacy of priests have anything to do with the vatican saving money.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #45
Lily

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Don't be obtuse you know exactly what I mean. Predators in the church are already weird so they can prey without the burden of normality.
I must be obtuse. I have no idea what you can possibly mean. By definition, perverts aren't burdened by normality-- no matter where they are found.

Quote:
Answer this. Does the celibacy of priests have anything to do with the vatican saving money.
I don't know how much more clearly I can answer the question. No, it has nothing to do with the Vatican saving money. The Vatican does not finance local dioceses (churches). It does not pay salaries, etc.