Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
ubs
I Live Here

Religion and Spending

There is a new study out from Cornell measuring the effect of religious identity on people's economic choices.

In the lab, after religious identity was evoked, group participants played strategic games where they made contributions, offered wages (as a manager), worked hours (as an employee), gave things away via discount rates (as a dictator). Also measured were risk aversion and willingness to exert real effort.

The study, which outlines the games is here (pdf)

Quote:
We find that Protestantism increases contributions to public goods, and there is suggestive evidence that it increases employee reciprocity in a labor market with incomplete contracts. Catholicism decreases contributions to public goods, increases employee reciprocity, and decreases risk aversion. Judaism increases labor market reciprocity. There is some evidence that Christianity and Judaism increase employer wage offers. However, we find no evidence that religious identity affects discount rates or purely altruistic generosity.
Interestingly, atheists and agnostics responded as the Protestants did.

Catholics! tsk, tsk.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Choobus
I Live Here

In a paper that claims to draw conclusions regarding how people do anything based on their religion, ought not the authors declare theirs?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

The "religious identity priming instrument" sounds a bit oily.

The non-believers scored higher on SATs then all religious groups; I trust the authors accounted for that in their findings ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post

The non-believers scored higher on SATs then all religious groups; I trust the authors accounted for that in their findings ...
I won't lie, I would find it really amusing to write "because the atheists were so much more intelligent than their theistic counterparts, we entered this factor as a covariate" into a methods section of a proper paper.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Mog
Obsessed Member

For the record, the guy from Yale is a Baptist.
http://www.som.yale.edu/faculty/jjc83/whychrist.html

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Religion & spending are rooted in the ancient act of giving & taking which created the economy & wealth of nations. They are the In&Out of societies. Since ancient times precious gold gifts ( money) were giving by the faithful to the GODS & deposited in TEMPLES. The Sons of God emperor/King/Priests would make coins with these metal donations.
The principal treasury of the Roman empire was held in the temple of Saturn. Religio Romana was LINKED with spending. Today we can see the same in ALL religious institutions which are tax exempt. The money to the Gods let's spend for they do not need it I say they are delusions of infected brains

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Whisper

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post

THAN

*runs back to her sick-bed*

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Nice ketch Whisper! (don't forget I was razed Catholic)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Thanks for posting the Image of Jesus Christ shaving

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
ubs
I Live Here

We could be good scientists and question the integrity of researchers that don't disclose their own position or we could focus on the interesting clutching response that Catholics have when "primed."

I choose B.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
psychodiva
I Live Here

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote