Old 08-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

A Git’s Thoughts on Quote Modding

This prickly subject occasionally rears its ugly, zit infested head, so I thought a bit of digging might be in order.

Although not in Chris’ main Forum Rules - way back in 2006 (even before my time) Tenspace put out a notice stipulating that posts should not be amended, but quoted as written. It would be enlightening if any of you ol’ timers could clarify exactly how this came about, if at all there was an ‘incident’ that prompted it.

I’m as guilty as anybody of altering quotes for comic and abusive effect, usually aimed at passing theist idiots (or Jerry & spamming wankers) and I’d like to think it’s painfully obvious when it’s done. Eg, it’s now glaringly apparent that Pahu is not here to engage, but simply to spam his chum Walt Brown’s bullshit creationist website. We could just ban him, but I reckon taking down his shite and passing on a bit of abuse will induce his self dismissal.

If a quote is amended to try and alter the meaning or intent of a message, I’d judge this to be criminal and deserving of something far more serious than the death penalty or withdrawal of alcohol privileges. However, there are occasions where a quote is altered, but the alterations identified using strikeout or bolding and an accompanying note as to why the change. I have no problem with this.

So, what do you buggers think? Strict adherence? A bit of give & take? Or don’t give a shit? No doubt Eva & Prof will have different opinions and we might have to settle this over loadsa beer & drambuie at some point!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
ubs
I Live Here

I'm sorry Smelly. I only remember that it was Lily/Chaos related and beyond that I can't remember the circumstances.

Please put me in the "Don't give a shit." pile.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

I vote for a bit of give and take.

ubs - WTF are you talking about?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

I vote for that too.

I think if the changes are subtle and purposely set to mislead, then it shouldn't be aloud, we should leave the misleading to the theists.

If on the other hand it is a blatantly obvious piss take, then why not, after all, some people are just asking for a bit of creative flair to be added to their posts.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Quote:
Eternal wrote View Post
I think if the changes are subtle and purposely set to mislead, then it shouldn't be aloud...
What if we're really, really quiet?

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
What if we're really, really quiet?
I think that you should be able to do as you please Kate, anyone who can prove the existence of the booger fairy is clearly beyond reproach.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Kate

Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
ghoulslime
I Live Here

I distinctly remember an incident where Lily the lying Catholic cow made subtle semantic changes to some of the atheist posts she quoted, as a sort of convert strawman. It was just one of the many examples of her dishonesty.

BTW, I also think that Kate should be able to do what she wants - a sort of resident anarchist.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Maybe we should say that atheist posters are allowed and theists aren't. I know it's not fair, but tough shit, when you go to someone's house to speak to them you follow their rules.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I'm all in favour of the flexibility thing, but if anyone ever thinks the movable line has been crossed, I'm sure they'll shout and we can do something to sort it out.

I also agree that Kate can do whatever she wants, providing I'm first - no way do I want to follow Slimer.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Yeah, that would probably work well, give people a bit more freedom so that we can fuck things up ourselves. If anyone complains then deal with it as per that situation.

After all, I'm sure our mods are blessed with enough common sense to make judgement calls as required.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
Kate

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
I'm all in favour of the flexibility thing, but if anyone ever thinks the movable line has been crossed, I'm sure they'll shout and we can do something to sort it out.

I also agree that Kate can do whatever she wants, providing I'm first - no way do I want to follow Slimer.
Um, that's "whatever", not "whomever".

Ahem.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post

We can all work together as a team - pushing and pulling as one!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Um, that's "whatever", not "whomever".

Ahem.
I gotcher whatever right here, baby.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #15
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Eternal wrote View Post
Yeah, that would probably work well, give people a bit more freedom so that we can fuck things up ourselves. If anyone complains then deal with it as per that situation.

After all, I'm sure our mods are blessed with enough common sense to make judgement calls as required.
Exactly! Why not be irresponsible assholes and just let the mods sort it all out. That's why they get paid the big bucks.