Old 06-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
Accuser of the Brethren

Alright I stumbled accross this site that I'm sure some of you have already seen, its the flat earth society. They actually believe the earth is flat :/ Here is one of the threads on their forum when someone asks them if they are real or not:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/f...pic.php?t=2759

Like I said this site made my head hurt and I had to share the pain :P
Old 06-20-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
Victus
Obsessed Member

Now, let's get some theists making fun of them. The irony would be awesome.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
RenaissanceMan

Well, I'm suprised my neighbors didn't call 911 after hearing my laughter at reading this one:

5: The government deliberately showers the sky with rocks harvested from the North Pole to create the illusion of a round Earth.

My other favorite is the whole stellar parallax issue... Only an imbicile would reject the combination of stellar parallax and apparent magnitude in the 'distance to the stars' issue.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Evil_Mage_Ra

Now.......I have seen everything.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
Sigma

Yet even the person who created the thread scares me with his stupidity.

Quote:
Ok, I am a reasonable guy, and im happy to keep an open mind about things.

I am currently studying Astrophysics at university, and ive been brought up with astrology all arround me, so i know a fair bit about the universe and how it works.
Wouldn't this be the equivalent of saying, "I have been brought up with alchemy all around me so I know a fair bit about chemicals and how they work"
Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Evil_Mage_Ra

Quote:
DJ KAPUT wrote
Yet even the person who created the thread scares me with his stupidity.

Quote:
Ok, I am a reasonable guy, and im happy to keep an open mind about things.

I am currently studying Astrophysics at university, and ive been brought up with astrology all arround me, so i know a fair bit about the universe and how it works.
Wouldn't this be the equivalent of saying, "I have been brought up with alchemy all around me so I know a fair bit about chemicals and how they work"
Ouch, good catch. I thought he wrote "astronomy" when I first read his post.

It's funny how he's telling the Flat Earthers about how they bring up very valid points. I think this is the type of out-of-hand tolerance someone was complaining about earlier.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
JU Mike
Obsessed Member

Well, atleast they sound more logical then the theists who come here.
JU Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
Evil_Mage_Ra

Quote:
JU Mike wrote
Well, atleast they sound more logical then the theists who come here.
That only makes them worse, in my opinion. The thought of people who will tell you straight-faced that more than 2000 years of science are bunk and that any evidence otherwise is just manufactured by spacefaring governments for uncertain ends is just scary. True, there are some hard-core Biblical fundies who'll tell you pretty much the same thing (except the conspiracy is among the scientific community, not the government), but most theists I've met in real life (bearing in mind I'm from the great blue state of Michigan) fall into one of two groups:

1 ) Those who don't argue with our accumulated scientific knowledge and who are willing to accept a Deistic God--a God who just sort of works behind the scenes.
2 ) Those who believe in the standard Christian God, but more because "you just gotta have faith" or because they find the idea of such a God comforting--more of an emotional reason than anything.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
RenaissanceMan

Holy mother of shit! These people are INSANE.

They believe the earth to be a disc 24000 miles in diameter. And yet, the sun is a scant 32 miles in diameter orbiting 3000 miles above the earth.

Can someone please explain to me how that can possibly fucking work?

Apparently... you can only see 'so far' through the atmosphere... which explains why you can't see to the ENDS OF THE EARTH from a mountain top. But it doesn't explain why you can see the sun and moon all the time... And I quote:

Adanos wrote:
There is scientific proof that our eye sight is limited. Try standing on top of a large hill or mountain. You don't see the gound curving away from you, you simply see as far as you can, or as far as your eyes allow you to.

Me:
Really. Then explain why I can see the moon, or the sun, or distant stars... all of which are FAR more distant than any spot on the earth.

Unimportant wrote:
Because there is less atmosphere above you than there is to your sides.

Me:
Is that right. Then I should not be able to see the sun or moon when they rise over the horizon... since there is so much atmosphere between us then.

Also, My view of the stars should be a cone above me... since the atmosphere to the sides is limiting my vision.

Try again, hmm?

Unimportant:
The earth and stars are never close to ground level. Their appearance near the horizon is an optical illusion; there is never actually all that atmosphere between the sun and you.

Me:
Really! Then wouldn't this 'optical illusion' have a distortion associated with it? I would expect a spherical or parabolic distortion based on the depth of atmosphere and the actual angle to the observed body. Where is this distortion? I don't see it.

As to the sun... Are you saying that the amount of atmosphere between me and the sun is constant? Then how does it orbit the disc of the earth while at the same time the atmosphere is constant over the earth?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
Evil_Mage_Ra

Check out the Angry Ranting section of the forum. Someone wrote a topic titled "Only thing flat is your IQ". :lol:
Old 06-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
naomi

Does anybody have any aspirin? I can't find mine and I NEED some NOW!!!

Thanks.

VinylVenus
Old 06-20-2006, 10:35 PM   #12
naomi

Okay, I went back and posted my own questions. I cut/pasted so I could show you how bright I am. I know you'll be impressed.

I kept it simple (KISS) since it had gone off into some impossibly detailed, scientificky stuff, a kind of pissing-contest to impresse eache other. So I hope to get answers to these questions:

"I have a question:

How thick is this disk we live on? Can we drill through to the other side? What IS on the other side? How deep is the Marianna Trench in the Pacific Ocean?

Okay, yeah, you're right--that IS four questions...Sorry."

Cool, huh?

VinylVenus
Old 06-20-2006, 10:48 PM   #13
Evil_Mage_Ra

I wonder how they explain the tides? Even if they wanted to say that the Sun was responsible for the tides on one side of the disk, and the Moon for the tides on the other side of the disk, then their model would predict no tides in the Western Hemisphere when there's a solar eclipse in the Eastern Hemisphere. :P

How do they imagine the Earth's magnetic field holds the Sun and Moon aloft? Either the Sun and Moon would have to be bar magnets with opposite polarity, in which case they'd only be able to remain in unstable equilibrium right above the North and South Poles (otherwise they'd rotate to match polarity and come crashing into us), or they'd have to be superconductors, in which case they'd have a hard time explaining how the Sun can superconduct at 6000K, while no material found or produced on Earth can superconduct at temperatures higher than about 130K (and usually much lower).

EDIT: More questions:

How do they explain earthquake P-wave shadow zones?

How do they explain the Coriolis effect?

AARGH! :mad:
Old 06-20-2006, 11:42 PM   #14
naomi

Okay, here's one answer. I've asked for the other three.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VinylVenus wrote:
"Can we drill through to the other side?

I suppose you could. If you had a digging machine that didn't melt when it came in contact with molten iron, or was crushed by the immense pressure of said liquid."

Still trying to keep is "scientificky"...

VinylVenus
Old 06-21-2006, 07:57 AM   #15
James

Isn't it just an atheist hoax? To draw attention to the stupidity of theism. It is noticeable that, despite the absurdity of the topic, it is very hard to 'prove' to a 'flat earther' that their faith is incorrect when all they have to do is say 'this is what I believe - its a conspiracy.'

It has something distinctly 'J.P Holding' about it. :D