Old 05-30-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
Jennifer

Here a site I hadn't noticed before. The Skeptic's Annotated Bible/Quaran/Book of Mormon
Go here
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/
Old 05-30-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
Just Add Fire

That Site Sucks More Than Michael Jackson At A Childrens Hospital...

Man I Just Made Fun Of 2 Groups Of People At Once...thats Got To Be A Record Or Something
Old 05-30-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
Slaptickle

Um, why?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
Tenspace
I Live Here

I seond the why... SAB's been around on the internet longer than some of you have been alive. What sucks about it?

Ten

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
Jennifer

I'm glad it exists but it missed some things. For one thing there is a section of Leviticus that says that the death of a child less than one year is not punishable (I'm winging it here cause a family member took my bible to prep for a spitting match with an evanglical). But I distinctly remember feeling that it was a pro-choice position. Anyway, something they could have pointed out on SAB.

Maybe I've just been around longer. :-)
Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Jennifer wrote
I'm glad it exists but it missed some things. For one thing there is a section of Leviticus that says that the death of a child less than one year is not punishable (I'm winging it here cause a family member took my bible to prep for a spitting match with an evanglical). But I distinctly remember feeling that it was a pro-choice position. Anyway, something they could have pointed out on SAB.

Visit the Bible Online at

Ten

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
PanAtheist
Obsessed Member

Thanks for reminding me about this site, Jennifer.
It *is* really good, and it shall be very helpful to me.
Now it is so easy for me to point out to my family just how outrageously absurd the Bible and its religions are.
:-)
Thanks!

Healthy genes act as team-players. They are teamish!
Their winning plays are
salvations of an aliveness of which they are a part.
Only a fraction of genes are selfish/parasitic (and they
parasitize teams).
PanAtheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #8
Lurker

Quote:
Jennifer wrote

One of the "abortion passages" cited is Exodus 21:22 (Leviticus 27:6 is another). The word in question is the word "depart" in the KJV. According to blueletterbible.org, the hebrew word is yatsa which means 'to go out, come out, exit, go forth'. Some interpret this as a miscarriage (death) while others say it's an early delivery (life). For what it's worth, this website seems to state that early jews were generally opposed to both infanticide and abortion.

From the KJV:
"If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart [from her], and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges [determine]."
Old 06-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #9
Jennifer

Quote:
lurker wrote
From the KJV:
"If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart [from her], and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges [determine]."
Yes, but then it goes on to say that other than a miscarraige its eye for an eye, life for a life - implicating that the fetus does not have equal footing with someone out of the womb.

Also the Bible as seems to define life as someone breathing.

also

Tenspace, thank you for the link.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #10
Another brick in the wall

The English word "spirit" comes from the Latin word "spiritus," which means "breathing." In ancient times, the only way to tell if someone was dead or not was to see if they were breathing. If they had no breath in them, they were dead. They had given up their "spirit." So for a long time, people believed that breath was the life-giving force, the soul. The Latin word "anima" is usually translated as "soul" although it literally means "wind."

This was taken from Cassell's Latin-English dictionary.