Old 07-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
colpat

What, exactly, is a supernatural?

Greetings to All:
This is an attempt to start a new thread in response to Irreligious question on an "Introduce yourself" thread.
Quote:
What, exactly, is a supernatural?
In my worldview supernatural is whatever there is above (super) physical (natural ). Physical is things we can sense (measure) by sight, sound, taste, touch & smell.

What is your worldview of supernatural?
colpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Greetings to All:
This is an attempt to start a new thread in response to Irreligious question on an "Introduce yourself" thread.

In my worldview supernatural is whatever there is above (super) physical (natural ). Physical is things we can sense (measure) by sight, sound, taste, touch & smell.

As a mammal, I must rely on my senses to know the world. If there is something beyond the natural, I wouldn't be aware of it, and certainly wouldn't be able to measure it, so their is no benefit in believing in it.

Do you believe in ghosts colpat? Do you beleive in vampires and witches and zombies and what not?
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
colpat

Am I to understand from the 3 responses that we agree on what is natural - things we can observe, measure and test using the 5 senses?
colpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Am I to understand from the 3 responses that we agree on what is natural - things we can observe, measure and test using the 5 senses?
Yes, but we're just agreeing on the natural. I'm half expecting you to post a youtube of a ghost. If you do, my response will be that you are showing us a reflected portion of the electromagnetic spectrum and no matter how strange the video or picture is, or no matter what it is, the very fact that you can photograph it puts it in the category of natural.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Kate

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
...supernatural is whatever there is above (super) physical (natural ). Physical is things we can sense (measure) by sight, sound, taste, touch & smell.

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post

Old 07-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Colpat: my definition of supernatural would be very similar to yours. As Ubs says though, I would not be aware of it. I may be able to induce altered states of mind where I can perceive things that appear beyond my senses, but generally speaking, and from first hand experience, these things are due to the altered state of mind, and therefore very unlikely to be supernatural.

There are lots of things that in day to day life fall outside my normal senses, I have never seen Pluto with the naked eye for instance, but there is a piece of equipment that will allow me to see it, therefore I know it exists. Now I realise that this example is a physical planet, but I can give no example of being able to measure anything, or experience anything that is beyond my senses. This therefore makes our definitions of supernatural, purely the definition of a word, and not part of reality.

I may not have explained this brilliantly, but whatever way I look at it, it is full of contradictions and I can only ever conclude that the likelihood of this sort of supernatural is very very slim, and even if it were to be true, then why should it bother me, as being beyond my perception, it will never have an impact on the life of myself or my loved ones. It also opens the flood gates to any sort of crazy beliefs people wish to follow, and inevitably someone, somewhere will buy into it also. Anything that is beyond perception is always going to be unprovable and unknown, leaving the tyrannical out there to manipulate gullible people as they wish, because nobody who believes will ever be able to
question there beliefs.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Do you believe in ghosts colpat? Do you beleive in vampires and witches and zombies and what not?
I do! I do! Hoowla loola!

Where's the collection plate?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Pinko Commie!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 07-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Why the 5 senses? You place a lot of credence in human sensory ability. Human senses are flawed. Human cognition is even more flawed. Why not keep it simple? Supernatural is that which is unexplainable by natural law - and of course, cases in point will change as feasible explanations are forthcoming.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Why the 5 senses? You place a lot of credence in human sensory ability. Human senses are flawed. Human cognition is even more flawed. Why not keep it simple? Supernatural is that which is unexplainable by natural law - and of course, cases in point will change as feasible explanations are forthcoming.
That was such a better answer.

I wish I was one of you lucky motherfuckers that has been blessed by the wisdom of the leprechauns.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
Kate

Old 07-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Yes, but we're just agreeing on the natural. I'm half expecting you to post a youtube of a ghost. If you do, my response will be that you are showing us a reflected portion of the electromagnetic spectrum and no matter how strange the video or picture is, or no matter what it is, the very fact that you can photograph it puts it in the category of natural.
In fact, I am having a hard time coming up with any example of the supernatural. Ghosts, goblins, and unicorns are a product of human imaginative invention, as are gods and angels. Imagination is natural, right?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Eternal wrote View Post
That was such a better answer.

I wish I was one of you lucky motherfuckers that has been blessed by the wisdom of the leprechauns.
Damn straight!

What is your worldview of leprechauns?