Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #31
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
just questions wrote View Post
A condescending Catholic tells people they should pray for Hitchens.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #32
PhilOchsLives

Quote:
mushroomcloud wrote View Post
The question is, are people capable of change? If we create a religion which has a belief set built in part to make people think a bit more and not blindly accept things, it seems like there, at the very least, will be no backflow from this religion into less beneficial ones once people become relatively committed to it. The next question, of course, is what is the best way of attracting people to your religion? Prostelityzing generally seems ineffective. Both Buddhism and Scientology are religions in which there is (to my knowlage) no god. How do they attract followers?
Having a state apparatus behind you helps. This is how Constantine and his heirs solidified Christianity in the Roman Empire. They just made the Christian cult the state religion and it only took about two generations to nullify the traditional religion of the entire Empire.

A book of bullshit helps, too. If you write down your bullshit in black and white, people tend to believe in it more readily and to turn to it as an article of faith. This is why Mormonism has done so well, and also why Scientology continues to spread like a disease.

Write it down as a holy text and you're a long distance on your road to acceptance.

Revolution is not something fixed in ideology, nor is it something fashioned to a particular decade. It is a perpetual process imbedded in the human spirit--Abbie Hoffman.
PhilOchsLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #33
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

This was rather gracious.
Quote:
Hitchens and I are scheduled to square off for the first time for a panel on the Ten Commandments with David Hazony in New York City on November 4, and I am fairly certain that if that event comes to pass he will have me for lunch, dinner, or whatever else is being served that day.

I am rooting for him nonetheless. We need people like Hitchens in our debates over God and war and torture and adultery and literature and other things that actually matter. We also need his writing, to remind us what passion sounds like.

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #34
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Hitch is still firing on all cylinders, but watching this, I suspect he may not be around for too much longer.
I hope I'm as wrong as I usually am.
At least we know that any reports of a death-bed conversion will be a load of bollocks.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #35
Single Serving Jack
A caricature

Yes it's getting more worrying each time more news about is condition comes in.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day" - Douglas Adams
Single Serving Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #36
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Now it looks as if PZ is joining the ranks of The Great Unwell.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #37
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Wow 2 atheists suffering, this is proof of a God. If they were Christians God would have chosen 2 other people.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #38
Single Serving Jack
A caricature

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
Wow 2 atheists suffering, this is proof of a God. If they were Christians God would have chosen 2 other people.
You must be joking. Srsly.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day" - Douglas Adams
Single Serving Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #39
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
Single Serving Jack wrote View Post
You must be joking. Srsly.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote