Old 05-22-2005, 09:12 AM   #16
kkawohl

Quote:
Choobus wrote
This kurt is the most amusing idiot since Regis (+ kelly). What a fucking assclown. The sad thing is he has obviously spent a lot of time coming up with the sort of bullshit that teenagers think is new and original.
The amusing part is cool, but anyone who uses words like "fucking assclown" places themselves into the idiot category due to an inability to express themseves for lack of mental capacity and vocabulary. :P
Old 05-22-2005, 10:37 AM   #17
Another brick in the wall

I think people who use terms like "energy clusters" and "collective consciousness" place themselves in the idiot category . . . unless they can adequately demonstrate such things.

Energy is not a substance or fluid stored up in matter. It's the ability to do work, nothing more. All you've done is replaced religious hokum like "God" with "Intelligent Designer" and misused scientific vocabulary to fool uneducated people into thinking your philosophy is somehow based on observation and hypothesis-testing (real science).
Old 05-22-2005, 02:28 PM   #18
Another brick in the wall

I'm not trying to be argumentative. If you (Kurt) have evidence for your ideas, please share them. I am particularly interested in learning how you (or others) intend to test them. They don't have to be concrete. You can send us thought experiments, if you like.

Perhaps it is time to change subjects.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:00 PM   #19
baric

Quote:
kkawohl wrote
Quote:
baric wrote
Quote:
kkawohl wrote
Why do people shy away from the concept of connecting an Intelligent Designer with evolution? Is it because of the bad reputation that many religions have created for the ID through their superstitions beliefs that are justifiably looked upon as mere myth by the scientific community?
Nope. The reason that people "shy away " from connecting an Intelligent Designer with evolution is simple... it's because evolution is Exhibit #1 against the concept of intelligent design.
Evolution and the Intelligent Designer are intertwined. If it were not for evolution, there would be no ID. If the ID exists where then did it come from? Did the ID create life or did life create the ID? Did Life begin on earth?
The existence of evolution does not necessitate the existence of an ID. Asking where it came from is pointless until you can prove it exists. Evolution is certainly not proof of that.

Life may or may not have begun on Earth. An ID may or may not have been involved. If you want to make up answers by guessing, no one is going to stop you. But you should provide evidence of an ID if you want people to believe you.

Quote:
All of what we can presently see of the universe, its billions of stars, the galaxies, and other solar systems with its planets only represent less than 2% of the total existence of the universe. It is naïve of us to assume that throughout the trillions of years past that life has only existed on our small world
I agree up until that point, but then you go off the deep end with...

Quote:
and therefore the spiritual existence, the ID came about through mankind. We can compare our knowledge to the collective spiritual consciousness, the beginning of the ID and the beginning of life in the universe as that of a two year old child who is just developing its reasoning abilities.
Your "therefore" does not follow. Prove that there is an ID before arguing about where it came from.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:50 PM   #20
fortytwo

Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote
On a side note, I think you have been using some terminology loosely. "Dimension" simply refers to a range of quantities. In engineering systems, you can have hundreds of dimensions (e.g. the voltage across resistor 1, resistor 2, etc). When physicists say that the universe "has" 10 dimensions, they mean that every particle in the universe can be accurately described by assigning a quantity to each dimension. Personally, I have a hard time believing there's another whole universe lying hidden somewhere, and even if there were, how could we know about it?
Actually, string theory says that there are 10 dimensions, meaning up/down, front/back, left/right, and six other spatial dimensions, plus one dimension of time. The six we can't see are tiny and curled up. Think of the surface of a garden hose - along the length of the hose is one dimension, and around the circumference of the hose is a second dimension, but it's a curled up dimension, so from far enough away the hose looks like a one-dimensional line.

The Standard Model of physics has 19 quantities that as far as I know are usually called parameters, not dimensions, and these 19 numbers (the mass of the electron, the charge of the up quark, etc.) are all you need to describe everything in the universe.

But that's pretty irrelevant to the present discussion. I didn't read all of the nonsense he posted, but I seem to remember reading something about a "spiritual dimension," and I can assure you that neither Einstein nor any other scientist I know of ever postulated anything like that.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:55 PM   #21
fortytwo

Quote:
kkawohl wrote
Quote:
baric wrote
Quote:
kkawohl wrote
Why do people shy away from the concept of connecting an Intelligent Designer with evolution? Is it because of the bad reputation that many religions have created for the ID through their superstitions beliefs that are justifiably looked upon as mere myth by the scientific community?
Nope. The reason that people "shy away " from connecting an Intelligent Designer with evolution is simple... it's because evolution is Exhibit #1 against the concept of intelligent design.
Evolution and the Intelligent Designer are intertwined. If it were not for evolution, there would be no ID.
No, no, no! The whole point of evolution is that there is no need for a Designer!
Old 05-22-2005, 10:14 PM   #22
Just Add Fire

listen to the man kkawohl, hes got his shit together
Old 05-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #23
Lucretius

Intelligent Design is anecdotal and unscientific to say the least. You can't test for any of this empirically. IDists assume they know what an intelligent designer would do — the truth is, they assume the existence of the designer and they assume they know what the designer will do. Then they "test" for these assumptions, and say their assumptions become facts.

It's crap.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:19 AM   #24
baric

Quote:
Just Add Fire wrote
listen to the man kkawohl, hes got his shit together
Yes. It's all self-contained within his cranium