Old 01-08-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
skribb

Grin Cannibal says God made him do it

So I'm reading the newspaper right now and stumble upon an article about this cannibal, McCuin, who killed and (suspectedly) ate this girlfriend. My initial thought?

Yeah, you guessed it: "hmm, he's probably a Christian". Now Swedish media almost always leaves out religious stuff - why, I don't know (as you all know we're the most atheistic country in the world, but we - no, not me of course - have an inexplicable respect, phlegmatism and hush-hush mentality for religion, especially xianity).

I started googling and it turns out I'm right.

You don't have to discuss it or anything, I'm just entertaining y'all with another fresh instance of Christinsanity
Old 01-08-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

That's not a good account of the problems of Christianity at all, though. This is the same shit the Christers do when they blather on about Stalin. Stalin didn't commit atrocities because he was an atheist, he committed atrocities because he was a fucking madman.

Some dude deep fried his ho and bbbq'ed* her? He didn't do that because he's a Christer, he did it because he's batshit insane. Motive, people. Motive.

*The extra "b" is for BYOBB.**

**That's a typo.

EDIT: Should've read the links first. Still, is there any doubt that the dude's nuttier than a priest's palms?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
Coletrain

Consumption is Evolution.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
ubs
I Live Here

In fairness how is a Christian to know when the voice in his/her head is God and when it isn't? Who are we to say that it wasn't God?

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Stargazer

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
In fairness how is a Christian to know when the voice in his/her head is God and when it isn't? Who are we to say that it wasn't God?
God does not exist, that's how we know it wasn't him.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
God does not exist, that's how we know it wasn't him.
Well of course YOU are going to say that, but what about Lily or Francis or Lurker? How can they tell if the voice urging them to run naked in the street...that confident disembodied voice, that sounds just like Vin Diesel...how do they know that isn't God?

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
mmfwmc

They don't. And that's what makes them so dangerous.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Lily

Quote:
mmfwmc wrote View Post
They don't. And that's what makes them so dangerous.
You might want to consider using smilies. Otherwise, this sort of statement comes across as a mind-blowingly stupid remark.

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Well of course YOU are going to say that, but what about Lily or Francis or Lurker? How can they tell if the voice urging them to run naked in the street...that confident disembodied voice, that sounds just like Vin Diesel...how do they know that isn't God?
I can only speak for sane Christians. There is such a thing as natural reason, as well as common sense. When applied to the Bible, these yield remarkably reliable results. So, for instance, killing your girlfriend, whether you then cook and eat her or not, is covered by the general prohibition on murder. Robbing banks is covered by the prohibition on stealing. Running down the street naked is covered by the commandment to love thy neighbor and not turn his stomach ...
Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
skribb

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
That's not a good account of the problems of Christianity at all, though. This is the same shit the Christers do when they blather on about Stalin. Stalin didn't commit atrocities because he was an atheist, he committed atrocities because he was a fucking madman.

Some dude deep fried his ho and bbbq'ed* her? He didn't do that because he's a Christer, he did it because he's batshit insane. Motive, people. Motive.

EDIT: Should've read the links first. Still, is there any doubt that the dude's nuttier than a priest's palms?
I know, but it disproves the opposite - that Christianity brings and fosters good morals (yes I know moral is relative)
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
You might want to consider using smilies. Otherwise, this sort of statement comes across as a mind-blowingly stupid remark.
Is that what was missing all this time from your posts? How silly we all feel for taking your posts seriously.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I can only speak for sane Christians.
Is this the same as True Christians (TM)?
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
There is such a thing as natural reason, as well as common sense. When applied to the Bible, these yield remarkably reliable results.
How true, how true. Common sense and natural reason allow us to dismiss the Bible as superstitious, mythological story-telling, intended for Bronze Age goat herders.
Are you finally coming around?
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
So, for instance, killing your girlfriend, whether you then cook and eat her or not, is covered by the general prohibition on murder. Robbing banks is covered by the prohibition on stealing. Running down the street naked is covered by the commandment to love thy neighbor and not turn his stomach ...
Yet, the tribes in the OT, who were ordered by God to slay other tribes, were doing the right thing.
Maybe this guy was falling back on the OT, where it's quite alright to snuff others under divine direction?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Yet, the tribes in the OT, who were ordered by God to slay other tribes, were doing the right thing.
Maybe this guy was falling back on the OT, where it's quite alright to snuff others under divine direction?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #14
Irreligious
I Live Here

Genesis 22:1-19.

If someone earnestly believes that God is talking to him or her, there's no persuading that person that God isn't. Outsiders cannot compete with the voices in their head.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #15
mmfwmc

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Stupid how?

Not all Christians listen to the little voice. But if there were fewer religious people, those who are dangerous wouldn't have so much power.