Old 01-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
shade

don't know if this has been posted before:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6239871.stm

Quote:
the article wrote
The Harvard University team say they have recovered functioning stem cells from amniotic fluid - the liquid that surrounds the baby in the womb.
will this affect the "controversy" surrounding stem cell research in any way, good or bad?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Victus
Obsessed Member

Good way if you're a scientist. I'm sure someone will claim the holy significance of the amniotic fluid though.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Victus wrote
Good way if you're a scientist. I'm sure someone will claim the holy significance of the amniotic fluid though.
They'll probably say that's where the "holy spirit" surrounds the god inspired miraculous living entity. Therefore it must not be tampered with or the eternal salvation of the little bugger will be jeapordized.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Rat Bastard

Ain't that the troof. Maybe there will be a stealthy person in the delivery room collecting the amniotic fluid for "sanitation purposes", who then runs down the hallway with the sanitized bucketful of "science stuff" for experiments by...HORRORS....scientific-like people. Hey, we gots to get our body parts somehow! :lol:
Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
Metman07

Interesting. The article said that these amniotic stem cells were "similar" in properties to embryonic stem cells without elaborating further. My guess is that while they wouldn't be highly differentiated, they wouldn't be pluripotent like embryonic stem cells. It's really pathetic that all this research money has to be spent on finding substitutes for embryonic stem cells rather than on actually doing useful research.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Metman07 wrote
It's really pathetic that all this research money has to be spent on finding substitutes for embryonic stem cells rather than on actually doing useful research.
Indeed. It's like staying at home with a blow up doll because you're not allowed to shag a hooker. Thanks a lot Jeebus.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
Evil_Mage_Ra

Quote:
Choobus wrote
Quote:
Metman07 wrote
It's really pathetic that all this research money has to be spent on finding substitutes for embryonic stem cells rather than on actually doing useful research.
Indeed. It's like staying at home with a blow up doll because you're not allowed to shag a hooker. Thanks a lot Jeebus.
:lol: Best analogy ever.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Victus wrote
They'll probably call it something lame like "Holy Water".

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
DontBeStupid

Quote:
antix wrote
Quote:
Victus wrote
They'll probably say that's where the "holy spirit" surrounds the god inspired miraculous living entity. Therefore it must not be tampered with or the eternal salvation of the little bugger will be jeapordized.
considering how much amniotic fluid has been left on the seats of taxi cabs and hospital room floors, i think we need to put this holy spirit juice to better use!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
DontBeStupid wrote
Quote:
antix wrote
Quote:
Victus wrote
considering how much amniotic fluid has been left on the seats of taxi cabs and hospital room floors, i think we need to put this holy spirit juice to better use!
Yeah, and then make it illegal to waste it. Oh, the humanity!

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:20 AM   #11
shade

Quote:
Metman07 wrote
That's the whole problem isn't it? We know that embryonic stem cells have massive potential, but instead of focusing on realizing that potential, scientists have to waste teir scarce resources on finding alternative sources of stemcells. And for what??

..and I'm sure they'll have some objection to this as well. It's beyond stupid....
Old 01-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #12
ryu

link doesnt work