Old 06-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #76
Rat Bastard

Quote:
Egotistical Atheist wrote
Quote:
Rat Bastard wrote
So, if I take estrogen, I can avoid losing my mind, but if I keep my male hormone levels, I can still have sex, I just wont remember I did it? :P
If you start taking estrogens you might as well start being flamboyant and join MENSA :cheers:
No kiddin'! MENSA is a bunch of fops, though. I'll keep my gray cells for my own use. Everybody I know that joined MENSA ended up acting like lily (prancing around saying/acting, "I'm so smart!"). Fucking annoying. Anyway, I got my brains the easy way- cut them out of a cadaver.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:08 AM   #77
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Rat Bastard wrote
Quote:
Quote:
Rat Bastard wrote
So, if I take estrogen, I can avoid losing my mind, but if I keep my male hormone levels, I can still have sex, I just wont remember I did it? :P
If you start taking estrogens you might as well start being flamboyant and join MENSA :cheers:
No kiddin'! MENSA is a bunch of fops, though. I'll keep my gray cells for my own use. Everybody I know that joined MENSA ended up acting like lily (prancing around saying/acting, "I'm so smart!"). Fucking annoying. Anyway, I got my brains the easy way- cut them out of a cadaver.
Traded up, eh?

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:58 AM   #78
Rat Bastard

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote
Quote:
Rat Bastard wrote
Quote:
Traded up, eh?
:lol: Just a little after-ghoul humor. I had the laziest possible brain mass acquisistion method one can use- I was born, and grew up- despite all my experimentation with various explosives, incendiaries and fast cars and motorcycles.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #79
skribb

Quote:
Quote:
skribb wrote
Quote:
HomoCyclist wrote
Interacting with each other is a very different thing. I will try to explain in a simple, easy and kind of personal way so we understand each other. You all know I am a lesbian, but I look 100% like a woman, I act like one, and I certainly want men to be polite around me and respect me as a woman, because I am a woman, who just happens to prefer the companionship of another woman, along with sexual attraction of course. But my hormones are still very much estrogens and progesterone. When they are low I feel like crap, (-Im 45 and sufferinf menopause :mad:-), so I dont think that I am a lesbian because my female hormones were low since I was born or because I have more testosterone than estrogens. Believe me, that is not the case. Ive had patients, female heterosexual patients who havent been able to get pregnant because they have high levels of testosterone and they have hirsutism and other masculine characteristics, but they still 100% heterosexual.
I dont want to offend you in any way, or rip up old wounds, but you were molested by your father when you were a child, correct? Now, I am no psychologist or expert of any kind, but that COULD be a factor in you being a lesbian. Does that sound too out there? Personally, I think not. But there is probably a 70% chance Im be wrong.
You Sir sound like you need to get a little bit of education.

I am a 49 year old homosexual guy and I was never raped or molested sexually by any adult. I had a wonderful family, loving and caring. My siblings are a brother and a sister. Both are heterosexual, however my sisters first child who is now 18 has come out as gay.

Obviously you couldnt understand anything HomoCyclist posted because your education does not allow you to do it. Read more. Think more. Educate yourself please.
God. I fucking HATE when people take things personally when they aren't even about them. At which point in my post did I say an unhappy childhood was related to homosexuality? I might have expressed myself rather unclearly (sorry 'bout that) - I was trying to explain that there might not be just one cause for homosexuality, but multiple - and what's more, multiple causes that vary from person to person. Ex gratia (as a bad example), a female is molested by her father and thus develops a subconscious (or otherwise) hatred or disgust for males and is sexually turned to homophilia (for that reason only or including other accumulated reasons). Another female could just find herself being homosexual without any external "stimuli".

I think that sexuality is mostly a social construct, not to the extreme like Cal postulates, but close. Take for example Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire where most males had younger males as sexual partners. I think we are born with the capacity to possess any sort of orientation, with males being a bit closer to heterophilia than females (though I am not too sure about that) - take for example the fact that females can usually walk hand-in-hand, or hug each other, or even kiss each other without it being deemed awkward, wereas if males did they same thing, they'd be suspected gay. To prove this one could go around bars asking heterosexual people of both genders if they would have sex with their own gender, for money or for free. I am quite certain that more females than males would answer yes to that question.

Quote:
my anecdotal sense of it is that more females are at least latently bisexual, if not actually.
Look, Gnosital is on the same track as I :)

Am I getting through to you? Please don't be offended. Sometimes I get lost in my words and forget crucial parts needed for my post to be coherent. Just ask for clarification and I shall be of assistance.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #80
skribb

fucking bumping for justice
Old 06-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #81
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
skribb wrote
fucking bumping for justice
Nice thread to bump! ;)

I've been out of touch lately, too damn much work going on and not nearly enough fun.

Fuckingay. *

So who knew that it's estrogens and NOT androgens that masculinize the brain during gestation? Hmm??

* sorry, lapsed intuh joizee-speak fer a minnit deh.
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #82
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Hey gnosty, this thread is so gay!

We need to get beyond the simplified labels of 'gay/straight/bi/unsure' in order to adequately describe the full spectrum of precisely Where We'd Like to Wiggle Our Naughty Bits.

I suggest we adopt a scale derived from popular culture, where a celebrity or other personage is associated with a flavor of sexuality, or absence thereof. The scale could begin with someone utterly divested of any sexy time whatsoever, an Absolute Zero if you will. Such a lump would be a 'Wilford Brimley', say. On the Absolutely Fabulous end you have your Nathan Lanes, Roddy McDowells, k.d. langs, and so forth.

Meanwhile, we need a term to describe those sad cases in which teh gay didn't quite stick.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #83
ForsakenOne

Wow! I just worked my way through all 6 pages of this thread. Interesting, if a bit challenging to wrap my mind around some of the more technical stuff. Alas, most of my technical expertise is in the electrical/mechanical engineering fields, and my biology/biochemistry/genetics is almost 2 decades out of date...
Old 06-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #84
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
ForsakenOne wrote
Wow! I just worked my way through all 6 pages of this thread. Interesting, if a bit challenging to wrap my mind around some of the more technical stuff. Alas, most of my technical expertise is in the electrical/mechanical engineering fields, and my biology/biochemistry/genetics is almost 2 decades out of date...
Well, my biology is reasonably up to date, but my electrical/mechanical engineering expertise never did exist!

I have more stuff I want to add here, but my damn real life keeps draining my internet fun time!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #85
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Hey gnosty, this thread is so gay!
Yeah, it sort of is, but the brain processes that make a brain prone to homosexual attraction are the same kinds of things that happen to make a brain heterosexual. It's just a matter of timing and the original genotype. Lots of people say "well we don't know HOW a brain turns gay" but that's the same thing as saying we don't know how a brain turns straight.

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
We need to get beyond the simplified labels of 'gay/straight/bi/unsure' in order to adequately describe the full spectrum of precisely Where We'd Like to Wiggle Our Naughty Bits.

I suggest we adopt a scale derived from popular culture, where a celebrity or other personage is associated with a flavor of sexuality, or absence thereof. The scale could begin with someone utterly divested of any sexy time whatsoever, an Absolute Zero if you will. Such a lump would be a 'Wilford Brimley', say. On the Absolutely Fabulous end you have your Nathan Lanes, Roddy McDowells, k.d. langs, and so forth.
Aw, this guy's not so bad! He's kind of cute. Like a really scraggly, filthy, teddy bear.

But what's so AbFab about this guy??

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Meanwhile, we need a term to describe those sad cases in which teh gay didn't quite stick.
Yeah, those bastards who try to "cure" gays ought to be shot into space without their short bus jeebus helmets.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #86
Gnosital
still unsmited

More on gayness:

Quote:
William Saletan for Slate wrote
Norway is funding the world's first museum exhibit on gay animals. Examples: beetles, parrots, penguins, and swans. "One photograph shows two giant erect penises flailing above the water as two male right whales rub together. Another shows a male giraffe mounting another for sex." Previously, a zoo in Holland featured gay animal couples. Exhibit organizers' view: "Homosexuality is found throughout the animal kingdom, it is not against nature." Right-wing Christian view: The organizers should "burn in hell." Cynical view: Maybe homophobia is natural, too.
Same link, further down and NOT gayness:

Quote:
Slate wrote
Women dress more attractively when they're ovulating. Thirty college students were photographed and urine-tested twice during a month. Without their knowledge, the tests were used to determine on which days they were ovulating, and the photos, with faces hidden, were used by 42 male and female judges to decide, "In what photo is the person trying to look more attractive?" Without knowing which was which, the judges picked outfits worn on ovulating days over those worn on non-ovulating days 60 percent of the time. In previous studies, women flirted more often while ovulating. Researchers' spin: Your clothes say you can tell when women are ovulating. Skeptics' view: Two-and-a-half million unintended U.S. pregnancies a year say you can't.
And again:

Quote:
Slate wrote
Women become sexually aroused almost as quickly as men. Thermal cameras indicate that while watching sex films, women took 12 minutes to reach "peak arousal," just a minute longer than men. Previous studies suggesting that women took longer than men were done "with instruments that require genital contact and manipulation." Implication: The contact hastened male arousal. Old hypothesis: Men are suckers for dirty movies. New hypothesis: Men are suckers for genital contact.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #87
Reverend Blasphemy

Re-bump.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #88
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Gnosital wrote
Quote:
Slate wrote
Researchers' spin: Your clothes say you can tell when women are ovulating. Skeptics' view: Two-and-a-half million unintended U.S. pregnancies a year say you can't.
I get something different out of this one. Two-and-a-half million unintended U.S. pregnancies a year say you are responding.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 AM   #89
whoneedscience

Quote:
ubs wrote
Quote:
Gnosital wrote
Quote:
Slate wrote
Researchers' spin: Your clothes say you can tell when women are ovulating. Skeptics' view: Two-and-a-half million unintended U.S. pregnancies a year say you can't.
I get something different out of this one. Two-and-a-half million unintended U.S. pregnancies a year say you are responding.
Yeah, I didn't quite follow that one either.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #90
Rat Bastard

Quote:
Gnosital wrote
More on gayness:

Quote:
William Saletan for Slate wrote
Norway is funding the world's first museum exhibit on gay animals. Examples: beetles, parrots, penguins, and swans. "One photograph shows two giant erect penises flailing above the water as two male right whales rub together. Another shows a male giraffe mounting another for sex." Previously, a zoo in Holland featured gay animal couples. Exhibit organizers' view: "Homosexuality is found throughout the animal kingdom, it is not against nature." Right-wing Christian view: The organizers should "burn in hell." Cynical view: Maybe homophobia is natural, too.
Same link, further down and NOT gayness:

Quote:
Slate wrote
Women dress more attractively when they're ovulating. Thirty college students were photographed and urine-tested twice during a month. Without their knowledge, the tests were used to determine on which days they were ovulating, and the photos, with faces hidden, were used by 42 male and female judges to decide, "In what photo is the person trying to look more attractive?" Without knowing which was which, the judges picked outfits worn on ovulating days over those worn on non-ovulating days 60 percent of the time. In previous studies, women flirted more often while ovulating. Researchers' spin: Your clothes say you can tell when women are ovulating. Skeptics' view: Two-and-a-half million unintended U.S. pregnancies a year say you can't.
And again:

Quote:
Slate wrote
Women become sexually aroused almost as quickly as men. Thermal cameras indicate that while watching sex films, women took 12 minutes to reach "peak arousal," just a minute longer than men. Previous studies suggesting that women took longer than men were done "with instruments that require genital contact and manipulation." Implication: The contact hastened male arousal. Old hypothesis: Men are suckers for dirty movies. New hypothesis: Men are suckers for genital contact.
Woah! Ya think!?! But I know you already knew that!