Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
This is pretty much the current U.S. system, but with different %'s (although the top marginal tax rate was 90% in 1950 [it's 35% today]). And of course there are loopholes ... kind of like your #3...
Well, I was thinking that it would be fairer, in that everyone pays the same for the same amount earned. As it is now, you pay a higher rate on all your earned money in higher tax brackets. This is more important for people who earn middle amounts of money, I think.

But I don't think #3 is a loophole. Corporations are not people, and income tax doesn't make sense for them. If the money is being reinvested in research, or infrastructure, then this helps the economy. If the money is being funneled off to individuals, then it is not generally beneficial to the society as a whole. Therefore, if 1 million is invested in research vs. being given to a CEO as a bonus, it would be not taxed in the first case, but it would be taxed in the 2nd case.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote