Old 09-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #16
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
Mike you have both, nice!

btw- Does your 360 slim collect shit tons of dust?
I have all 3 (though is the wii considered next gen?), plus a ps2 that currently isn't connected. I am thinking of getting a couple of the more retro machines also.

The 360 collects a lot of dust. And because I have it sitting flat, the dust gets into where the cooling fan is also. Fingers crossed that doesn't fuck me.

PS3 collects a lot also.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #17
West491
Obsessed Member

Ok so it's not just me. I thought my place was just extra dusty. I go across it with with a microfiber towel about once every two weeks.

Get 'er dun.

The 360 is also very scratch prone. I sat a few game cases on top of it (like you have in your picture, but I made sure not to cover the vents on top) and I guess the friction caused by my consistently taking the cases off and putting them back on top ended up scratching the surface.

Kinda hoping for a matte finish on the next gens. Not as cute but more durable.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
We're actually talking about getting a PS3, mostly for the Netflix (and me GF wants to play FF13). Hopefully soon, lots of cool looking games I'd like to check out.
Considering that the current consoles have come down in price considerably, now is not a bad time to buy. The 160GB version is about $250. Considering that they started somewhere around $600, that's not bad.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #19
ubs
I Live Here

I just finished the book Reality is Broken by Jane McGonical, which is a non fiction about gaming - the popularity of games and skills that gamers have that the rest of the population does not. Some of the book is a little....melodramatic, but most of it is really good. If you game, you'll love it.

McGonical has her Phd from Berkeley, and here is her Ted on the topic games which does a better job than I at describing the gist of the book.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #20
ubs
I Live Here

Surgeons who game are better at their job

Quote:
The more video games the surgeons had played in the past, the better their numbers. This wasn't tested on a group of kids who played twelve hours of video games a day and hadn't showered in weeks. These residents and practicing surgeons simply played three or more hours of action video games a week. Some of the more advanced video- game- playing students managed to make 47 percent fewer errors than others and were able to work as much as 39 percent faster.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #21
West491
Obsessed Member

Thanks for the shares. It's always good to see gaming cast in a positive light. So often you see gaming in the headlines represented as such: "Does gaming ruin familial relationships?"

There's also this stereotype that gamers are overweight, socially awkward people that do nothing but eat cheetos and lay on the couch. The article about the surgeons who game helps this a bit.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #22
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
Thanks for the shares.
My pleasure. I like them too. It makes me very happy to think that people born after '84 have these secret skills that will save us all from drowning in our own vomit.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #23
West491
Obsessed Member

I confess, maybe I've perfected my secret skills a wee bit too much.