Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Zarathustra

a challenge for biblical literalism

Quote:
Genesis 6:15 wrote
This is how you are to build it: the ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high
My arithmetic puts Noah's ark at 1,518,750 cubic feet.

According to one source there are 1,589,361 unique species of insects, plants, animals, and avians we know of today. That's to say nothing of other varieties of life on earth: bacteria or viruses. But we can assume for the sake of argument that there was bacteria on the hull and that Shem caught the flue that month.

Now, I'm going to take the species as being the smallest unit of "kind" to which the bible refers, because if we do not then we must account for existing species which were not on the ark. Which would mean admitting speciation. And we can't do that because it would be tantamount to admitting evolution, right?

Granting that the bible is inerrant, when Jehovah orders Noah to take "two of every kind" into the ark he must necessarily have boarded 3,178,722 life forms, male and female.

This puts the amount of space for each life form in the ark at less than half a cubic foot. Any way you want to slice that half a foot still is no less a crunch. Even when you account for most being insects. Then you have to store enough food for all of those creatures to last 40 days. How about the carnivores? Do you pack extra animals in there to feed them?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Sevens

Maybe the measurement is a type of the last construct of man that activates the arrival of the Ark in our today because of a future catastrophe that is about to happen that we know nothing off.

The 450ft long is the length of a 9 cycle, equal spaced periods of time called the Magnetar timeline. 7 cycles in the timeline is divided by seven, the last part being 45 days.

The guy who brings it on is Sevens signified by the 5 in each measurement of the Ark in length, depth and breadth, 555 and 7.

The 4 in the measurement signifies the 4 mountains of God of the Magnetar cycles with an additional half making the Seventh part the Shabbes timeline which we are in now.

http://www.dalamatiacity.com/MagnaterPanorama.htm

It may signify the arrival of the ark and Judgment of those who mock and spurn in the beforehand.

Sevens
Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Wow! Sevens marching them in all two by two! The flood of information inundates my senses!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Noah has been thoroughly covered in this thread.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Zarathustra

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Noah has been thoroughly covered in this thread.
Shit, I hate duplicating. Sorry guys.

It just occurred to me that inside the ark might be like the Tardis from Dr.Who.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Zarathustra wrote View Post
Shit, I hate duplicating. Sorry guys.

It just occurred to me that inside the ark might be like the Tardis from Dr.Who.
There is no problem with being repetitious in explaining the stupidity of theism to theists. It seems to be the only way some of them understand. Keep hammering it home.

(Most of the blood drinkers who come here, are not Bible literalists, or at least they don't admit to it.)

Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Sevens wrote View Post
Maybe the measurement is a type of the last construct of man that activates the arrival of the Ark in our today because of a future catastrophe that is about to happen that we know nothing off[sic].
Totally incoherent.
Quote:
The 450ft long is the length of a 9 cycle, equal spaced periods of time called the Magnetar timeline. 7 cycles in the timeline is divided by seven, the last part being 45 days.
Silly, feet is a measure of length, not time. So your sentence is meaningless.
Quote:
The guy who brings it on is Sevens signified by the 5 in each measurement of the Ark in length, depth and breadth, 555 and 7.
The 5 in any measurement discussed is a complete coincidence and in many cases is due to the approximation of cubits into feet.
Quote:
The 4 in the measurement signifies the 4 mountains of God of the Magnetar cycles with an additional half making the Seventh part the Shabbes timeline which we are in now.
Of course 4 signifies nothing other than the count of some things. It specifically does not signify the mountains of God even if there happen to be 4 of them.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Sternwallow, when responding to Sevens wrote
Totally incoherent, silly, meaningless, complete coincidence, signifies nothing.
Poirot here is detecting a pattern.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Eva
Super Moderator

sevens, don't post outside of your playpen ever again. i won't delete only because ghoulslime smiled a little bit with your post.

wanker.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
sevens, don't post outside of your playpen ever again. i won't delete only because ghoulslime smiled a little bit with your post.

wanker.
Hee hee!

Sevens is getting bolder in these last days, before the arrival of the universal masters. His ark must be getting nearer to completion.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #11
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Zarathustra wrote View Post
My arithmetic puts Noah's ark at 1,518,750 cubic feet.

According to one source there are 1,589,361 unique species of insects, plants, animals, and avians we know of today. That's to say nothing of other varieties of life on earth: bacteria or viruses. But we can assume for the sake of argument that there was bacteria on the hull and that Shem caught the flue that month.

Now, I'm going to take the species as being the smallest unit of "kind" to which the bible refers, because if we do not then we must account for existing species which were not on the ark. Which would mean admitting speciation. And we can't do that because it would be tantamount to admitting evolution, right?

Granting that the bible is inerrant, when Jehovah orders Noah to take "two of every kind" into the ark he must necessarily have boarded 3,178,722 life forms, male and female.

This puts the amount of space for each life form in the ark at less than half a cubic foot. Any way you want to slice that half a foot still is no less a crunch. Even when you account for most being insects. Then you have to store enough food for all of those creatures to last 40 days. How about the carnivores? Do you pack extra animals in there to feed them?
This is a very serious question for the literalists, but it is also fairly common. Theists will opine that the animals brought onto the Ark were mating pairs and that they left embryos rather than stay aboard themselves.

Another question has to do with the ventilation system.
Quote:
Genesis wrote
A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above;
According to the Book, there was a single window of size 1-cubit x 1-cubit as the only opening in the whole ship. In order to bring in enough breathable air for all the animals and people would require a small jet engine.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
Whisper

You forgot the bit about taking in 7 of each of the 'clean' animals. But they would have decreased in number over the days aboard ark anyway, what them being edible and all...

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
Simple Mind

as a child ,.the ark story is a great example of why this Simple Mind looked at the adults teaching me about their bible and said, "are you fucking with me?"
Old 01-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #14
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

You must have had the most paddled ass in Sunday school class.

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
Simple Mind

Quote:
Captain Relativity wrote View Post
You must have had the most paddled ass in Sunday school class.
lol
I was never the favorite

at my first communion,. I was sick like a dog,, fever, pale as a ghost I should have been in bed, but there I was in that grand cathedral getting my religion against my young will

and I puked, all over the isle,..right there in front of God and every one

massive smelly puke,.emptied out the whole stomach,..right there in the middle of the ceremony,. needless to say, they were not pleased with me
and I never did get their religion,..but they got my lunch

lol