Old 01-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #31
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
mmfwmc wrote View Post
I agree that the transmissions could interfere, but it should be a fairly simple thing to overcome with signal detection.
Even if we can't overcome it, it might make a difference in unmanaged airspace (where there aren't many cell phone towers anyway) but it won't have an effect in the managed space (i.e. most of Europe and populated USA). Aircraft in managed airspace are under radar guidance, so they wouldn't have too much to worry about. In the future it may become more of a problem, since they are thinking about shifting to GPS location of aircraft for air traffic control. I'm writing a paper about ATC at the right now, although I'm not an expert on the navigational side, just the human control aspects.

Interestingly, because of the current methods for ATC, constantly updated info provided by GPS might actually make things harder for the controllers!
Only agreement here! It is my humble opinion that this is just another one of those molehills that the FAA makes a mountain out of to give the illusion of being important, much like making me take my shoes off before going through airport security. It is only an illusion of security. Turning off cell phones is only an illusion of precaution.

(P.S. Sorry to preach to the choir.)

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #32
mmfwmc

Also, from memory pilots aren't reliant on GPS while they land - the radar and light arrays on the approach path are used for landing. I think GPS is too new.

Air Traffic Controllers are so conservative* that it took 20 years to incorporate windowed interfaces (like you get with windows, macs and all other modern computers) in ATC. I'm working with them a lot and they are completely resistant to change.

*This is a good thing. You don't want pilots or controllers getting creative and experimenting. That's how Chernobyl happened.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #33
mmfwmc

Here's one to start with:
http://www.doctorsgadgets.com/mobile...ient-care.html

Not that it says interference doesn't happen, just that it is outweighed by benefits. Also, they don't mention the positive influence that cell phone access by patients has on their mental wellbeing while hospitalised.

I'm trying to start a fight conversation in order to avoid writing this fucking paper.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #34
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

I can take you!

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #35
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
mmfwmc wrote View Post
Here's one to start with:
http://www.doctorsgadgets.com/mobile...ient-care.html

Not that it says interference doesn't happen, just that it is outweighed by benefits. Also, they don't mention the positive influence that cell phone access by patients has on their mental wellbeing while hospitalised.

I'm trying to start a fight conversation in order to avoid writing this fucking paper.
Hee hee! Write your paper, dude! Me too! I have a great big fucking report to do on solar cell conversion efficiency that I totally don't want to deal with. Today, I woke up at 4:30 in the evening and thought it was 4:30 in the morning. (Jet lag)

Sorry, but no fight from me. The position here is exactly mine: "Not that it says interference doesn't happen, just that it is outweighed by benefits. Also, they don't mention the positive influence that cell phone access by patients has on their mental wellbeing while hospitalised."

Interference DOES happen. It just ain't the concern that some people make it. Oh, well, so much for the argument.

I think it is funny that people put a microwave transmitter next to their brains, and hold it there for a long time, and then worry about what it will do to an RS232 connection down the hall. Hee hee!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #36
mmfwmc

Now I'm definitely not sleepy. (It's 2am here)
Old 01-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #37
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
I can take you!
Wow!

GS knocked the fuck out in the first round!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #38
mmfwmc

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
I think it is funny that people put a microwave transmitter next to their brains, and hold it there for a long time, and then worry about what it will do to an RS232 connection down the hall. Hee hee!
That one is a myth. Quantum theory tells us that the microwaves don't have enough energy to break the chemical bonds in DNA and thus cause cancer. Of course, if your cell phone was powerful enough you could cook your brain, but that's something else entirely.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #39
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
mmfwmc wrote View Post
Also, from memory pilots aren't reliant on GPS while they land - the radar and light arrays on the approach path are used for landing. I think GPS is too new.

Air Traffic Controllers are so conservative* that it took 20 years to incorporate windowed interfaces (like you get with windows, macs and all other modern computers) in ATC. I'm working with them a lot and they are completely resistant to change.

*This is a good thing. You don't want pilots or controllers getting creative and experimenting. That's how Chernobyl happened.
Personally, I like the idea of a pilot lining my plane up for the landing. When we let electronic gizmos tell us what to do, we may likely have to restart the game. A KAL plane that I frequently rode from Korea to Guam smashed into the top of a mountain back in the late 90's because the electronic gameboy controls gave the wrong altitude. Yep, call me old-fashioned, but I like a human steering my plane.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #40
mmfwmc

What's really scary is how vulnerable you are in a holding stack. The planes are only separated by 1000 vertical feet and the communications are unencrypted.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #41
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
mmfwmc wrote View Post
That one is a myth. Quantum theory tells us that the microwaves don't have enough energy to break the chemical bonds in DNA and thus cause cancer. Of course, if your cell phone was powerful enough you could cook your brain, but that's something else entirely.
Whether electromagnetic energy / radio frequency radiation / microwaves from long term exposure to cell phones can cause damage to the human brain is one of those areas where I fall into the “I don’t know” group. Do cell phones cause tumors? Cancer? Decreased or impaired brain functions? I don’t know. Do cigarettes have adverse effects on health? For decades “scientific studies” proved there was nothing wrong with cigarettes. Wah wah!

For me, I will error on the side of caution.

I am curious to know if I am the only one who gets a splitting headache after using my cell phone for too long?

Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #42
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
mmfwmc wrote View Post
What's really scary is how vulnerable you are in a holding stack. The planes are only separated by 1000 vertical feet and the communications are unencrypted.
Hee hee! When I was in the Air Farce, I got a few good looks at Air-traffic control in commercial airports. Most people would shit in their pants if they knew the dare-devil reality of things. It is one of the reasons I always giggle when I see airport security taking away somebody's fingernail clippers. The irony!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #43
skribb

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Hee hee! Write your paper, dude! Me too! I have a great big fucking report to do on solar cell conversion efficiency that I totally don't want to deal with. Today, I woke up at 4:30 in the evening and thought it was 4:30 in the morning. (Jet lag)

See why 12-hour clocks are inferior?

Now on a 24-hour clock you'd discern the hour of the day EASILY. 4:30 in the morning is.... 4:30. 4:30 in the evening is.... 16:30.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #44
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
skribb wrote View Post
See why 12-hour clocks are inferior?

Now on a 24-hour clock you'd discern the hour of the day EASILY. 4:30 in the morning is.... 4:30. 4:30 in the evening is.... 16:30.
Interestingly, if you accumulate 24 hours of jet lag, say from a multi-leg tour, you break even and it has no effect. Morning comes when your body expects and lunch arrives right on time. No lag.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #45
skribb

I'm not sure I'm following you.