2Pac go ahead and rock this

[2Pac]
Now I clown around when I hang around with the Underground
Girls use to frown, say I'm down, when I come around
gas me and when they pass me they use to diss me
harrass me, but now they ask me if they can kiss me
Get some fame, people change, wanna live they life high
same song, can't go wrong, if I play the nice guy
(clamin that they must have changed,just because we came strong)
I remain, still the same (why Tu'?) cause it's the same song

Chorus: repeat 3X

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #17
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Prof, for supposedly not liking rap, you pull some impressively obscure references out. Kudos.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Guilty pleasure. There's no way to rationalize my feelings towards rap. Basically, it goes kinda like this:

If year of release is > 1994, discard.

All Tupac solo albums must be discarded.

If year of release is 1992 or greater, discard unless album is The Chronic or Doggystyle (purely for nostalgic reasons from the days of tokin' it up with the brothas from high school [though I couldn't handle that Tupac garbage even for them]), Illmatic by Nas, and Wu-Tang Clan albums, which get progressively worse as time goes on (preferably I'd keep only Enter The Wu-Tang.)

I'll rock out to just about anything from the '80's, though. Except for the Beastie Boys.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #19
Rhinoqulous

My friend Apple (who you'll know from the vajayjay thread) had a theory for this Prof. His insight was that rap from mid-90's onward was about how rich and famous the rapper is. Before that, rap was mostly about being poor and getting beat on by the police, or just poppy beats with nonsense rhymes over it (but still, was more about the music or message than bragging about ones-self). Grandmaster Flash in the early 80's talked about the ghettos and the horrible state that many poor black people are in. Nowadays, 50 cent (who is just fucking awful) raps about being rich, and, uhm, being rich. There's still good rap, it just seems what gets pushed commercially is bland fucking wanking about rims and bling.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Old 03-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #20
Professor Chaos

Yeah, that sounds about right. I definitely don't got a thing for the bling. I'd rather listen to Kurt Cobain tell me how much he sucks than 50 Cent tell me how awesome he is. Then you have two-bit losers like Kanye West who think they're political and stuff.* Chuck D would be rolling over in his grave if he was dead.**

And I'm too old and decrepit to try to find the needle of decent stuff in the garbage heap that's out there now.

*Easiest cookie yet.
**He's not dead, is he?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #21
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
*Easiest cookie yet.
George Bush doesn't care about Kanye West. (though did you hear about Kanye's bet with 50? Last year Kanye said his new album would outsell 50's new album, and 50 responded that if that happens, he'll never rap again. well, Kanye outsold 50 by a lot, but so far 50 hasn't hung up his feathered and jewel encrusted hat yet)

Quote:
**He's not dead, is he?
Well, his career is dead, but I think Chuck is still among the living (and why the hell doesn't he get any press, but that fucking crack addict Flavor Flav gets MTV news reporting every time he takes a shit in the napkin dispenser at Burger King?)

Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #22
Professor Chaos

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
George Bush doesn't care about Kanye West. (though did you hear about Kanye's bet with 50? Last year Kanye said his new album would outsell 50's new album, and 50 responded that if that happens, he'll never rap again. well, Kanye outsold 50 by a lot, but so far 50 hasn't hung up his feathered and jewel encrusted hat yet)
I did hear about that. (Could Lily be Fiddy?! )

On second glance my cookie wasn't easy. My train of thought was still on the tracks of your cookie, namely Trey Parker/Matt Stone movies.

I was thinking about this guy being "political and stuff."

Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #23
Rocketman the Sequel

The VEHM movement is a wonderful cause full of self loathing and marketability to the overfed and worried first world.

Only Sierra club refugees would fall into that delusionary trap. Try peddling that in a third world country...

As for why not none--because if human beings became extinct a unique and interesting evolutionary consequence would be removed from existacne. Now. who would care if uit happened? Only us...and as we are the only things that actually even have a conception of meaning I'm saying this wouldn't necessarily be a good thing.

We talk about extinction and waste all the time but lets also consider that human beings may also be a force fro prservation and security --eventually ... In the case of a major catastrophic die off due to say something like an asteroid collision we may be the only viable thing on the planet with an ability to come up with and create a plan to deal with it.

On the more realistic side--population is defnitely a problem--but largely not in Canada. We have a very stable populaion and have had such for years.

Now I've done the eco foot print deal--one that compares consumption with production based on available resources and you know what? Canadian consume a ton of energy and respurces--but we also ahve a tone of land and reources to consume.

As it turns out we hit a 0 for the most part--which means we balance the consumtion and the resources we have.

A positive number means that there is more consumtion than resources and a lower means we are consuming less than we produce--a greater viability let's say.

So even thought the science may be somewhat questionable lest run a couple of numbers....

http://pthbb.org/natural/footprint/img/cartogram.gif

This map demonstrates the deficit concept prodcution over consumption.

What we note is that many countries that have high energy consumption but low populations are equivalent to other that have huge populations and low energy consumption.

In this case it comes down to a locally figure characteristic.

What do we see? Russia, Canada, Scandinavia, Australia--are all countries with populations that are well below the out put of the land...

Other places such as south america, subsaharan africa--have large populations but lower average energy costs-or enough area to support their population.

Then we get into Mexico, China, india--either large enough populations to put them at a borderline consideration even though individual energy consumption may be low. Other areas where the population is low and the energy consumption high fall into that middle area as well.

Then we get to Europe, the U.S. and Japan/Korea--large popualtions and high energy intake.

The results take it or leave it as you will--indicate that a lower population--regardless of energy consumption individually is the way to go.

Now--ther are a bunch of folks who put forward the idea that the western world needs to cut their consumption--and that is true--but there is also the fat that the third world needs to cut their population to more manageable levels.

Question--what is "better" a lower standard of living with commensurate lessening of scientiifc and economic advancement including medicine , clean and safe housing, and over all quality of life?

Or catastrophically lessening consumption in the new world in order to allow the third world to some how measure up?

Let's take the U.S. for example. Lets say they catastrophically reduce their footprint through draconian means--they cut their consumption down to 25% of the value having them break just about even with 250 or so millon people.

Then we look at india or china and having them raise their intake at even 5% for a billion---they shoot up into the red quite swiftly.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #24
Rhinoqulous

Rocket, this thread is now about rap music and obscure movie/culture references. You just had to toss a wrench in the gears by going back on topic, didn't ya?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #25
Professor Chaos

Back on topic:

Remember the movie that featured a "live" performance of Same Song?

(NOW I offer the easiest cookie yet. )

Old 03-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #26
Rhinoqulous

The one with Chevy Chase and directed by Dan Akroyd (and wasn't Demi Moore in it too?)? That movie was awful (though the name escapes me, and I'm too lazy to go look up Chevy's imdb profile).

Old 03-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #27
Professor Chaos

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
The one with Chevy Chase and directed by Dan Akroyd (and wasn't Demi Moore in it too?)? That movie was awful (though the name escapes me, and I'm too lazy to go look up Chevy's imdb profile).
Right on all counts. Nothing But Trouble was a stinkbomb with Chase, Aykroyd, Moore, and John Candy. Aykroyd won a Razzie for his performance, and it was also the film debut of future dead rapper Tupac Shakur.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #28
mmfwmc

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
Yeah, that sounds about right. I definitely don't got a thing for the bling. I'd rather listen to Kurt Cobain tell me how much he sucks than 50 Cent tell me how awesome he is. Then you have two-bit losers like Kanye West who think they're political and stuff.* Chuck D would be rolling over in his grave if he was dead.**

And I'm too old and decrepit to try to find the needle of decent stuff in the garbage heap that's out there now.

*Easiest cookie yet.
**He's not dead, is he?
I thought your cookie was in reference to the West lyric:
Always said if I rapped I’d say somethin’ significant
But now I’m rappin’ ’bout money, hoes, and rims again
Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #29
Rocketman the Sequel

So Sorry--anyone know what grandmaster flash is up to these days? That's what we called rap when i was a wee twig--hell I remember the dozens...
Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #30
Professor Chaos

I don't know what he's up to now, but just last year he was the first rap artist inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.