Old 11-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
ubs
I Live Here

Dennett: 'The Evolution of Confusion'

Dennet is coming out with a book on the on the evolution of culture and specifically religion and how believing the myth of the evil mystic/priest/politician is making the same mistake as the ID crowd - identifying a design and then looking for the designer.

This video is a teaser, covering just one subjects of the book - interviews with closeted non believing clergy and how they got into the situation that they did.

Looks good.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 AM   #2
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Looks good.
Indeed it does.
But to restore the balance of shtoopid, The dipstick d'Souza has launched his incontrovertible proof of the afterlife.
I dread to think which book will sell the most.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Indeed it does.
But to restore the balance of shtoopid, The dipstick d'Souza has launched his incontrovertible proof of the afterlife.
I dread to think which book will sell the most.
You would think incontrovertible proof would make the evening news.

Anyway, I hope God's country club doesn't read Dennett's book. Dennett is promising to show us how to break religion and get rid of it once and for all. What a relief that will be.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
"V"

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
incontrovertible proof
There is that word again. Fascinating.
They love throwing this word around like a playball. Similar to "truth".
Old 11-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #5
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

I have an incontrovertible opinion that this is not incontrovertible proof of afterlife.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~Epicurus
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
"V"

The best tongue-in-cheek quote from the Dan Dennett video made by one of the "closet atheist" clergymen:

"Oh, you can't go through seminary and come out believing in God".

So true this. A real eye-opener.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Santa > God

I think that kid from ..i wanna say Family Matters? Well the guy who's apparently in a club called "way of the master" which i can only assume means he's a ninja, but he's a very very religious ninja.

But that's besides the point, he says he has "incontrovertible proof" all the time, and he also talks about bananas and how delicious they are or something to that effect And he thinks we didn't evolve from apes

interesting video. Although i must say dawkins (may be an arrogant bastard) but he's a bit more fluid in the way he speaks.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Lily

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
You would think incontrovertible proof would make the evening news.

Anyway, I hope God's country club doesn't read Dennett's book. Dennett is promising to show us how to break religion and get rid of it once and for all. What a relief that will be.
How pitiful! Honey, you need the conditional-- "What a relief that would be". (if it happened. But it won't.)
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Santa > God wrote View Post
I think that kid from ..i wanna say Family Matters? Well the guy who's apparently in a club called "way of the master" which i can only assume means he's a ninja, but he's a very very religious ninja.

But that's besides the point, he says he has "incontrovertible proof" all the time, and he also talks about bananas and how delicious they are or something to that effect And he thinks we didn't evolve from apes

interesting video. Although i must say dawkins (may be an arrogant bastard) but he's a bit more fluid in the way he speaks.
You're thinking of this twat, and he was on Growing Pains.

He is Ray Comfort's lapdog, which, considering how unbelievably stupid Comfort is, is an embarassment.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Santa > God

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
You're thinking of this twat, and he was on Growing Pains.

He is Ray Comfort's lapdog, which, considering how unbelievably stupid Comfort is, is an embarassment.
Ugh, that's the guy. I love how a big argument of his is "i used to be an atheist, i used to think like you" and everytime i heard that i was like "i don't think you think at all".

Yea but i like how those guys even try to take on atheists.
you have to circumnavigate a persons intellect and speak to their conscious and the subject of evolution just disappears.
Not the exact video i was looking for, but he's still quite funny in this one.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
thomastwo
Obsessed Member

Quote:
"V" wrote View Post
The best tongue-in-cheek quote from the Dan Dennett video made by one of the "closet atheist" clergymen:

"Oh, you can't go through seminary and come out believing in God".

So true this. A real eye-opener.
Do you mean "true" as in consistent with the facts? Which facts? Do you have statistics?
thomastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
thomastwo wrote View Post
Do you mean "true" as in consistent with the facts? Which facts? Do you have statistics?
Have you watched the video or are you just here to nit-pick? I hope Lily watched the video as well. Maybe she'd finally understand why the nearly 2000 years of Christianity's ability to produce theological bullshit to defend itself is not a good defense for Christianity.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
thomastwo wrote View Post
Here is the most important TRUTH of them all which you conveniently IGNORE:

We humans are evolved mutated primates ( evolutionary biology shows each progeny is the result of mutations, this makes us all mutants) that CREATE the MIND with our brains.

When the mind produces irrational beliefs i,e gods, demons, mythologies, & children fairy tales accepting them as reality it is MALFUNCTIONING & the proper scientific term for this is NEUROLOGICAL DISORDER (schizophrenia, schizotypy, dementia, status epilepticus, TL epilepsy etc)

There are plenty of STATISTICS on these delusions accepting disorders...which are CREATED IN THE BRAIN not the arse.

BTW Don't you believe God is Love? Learn where LOVE comes from..not the arse either.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_(scientific_views)

"Studies in neuroscience have involved chemicals that are present in the brain and might be involved when people experience love. These chemicals include: nerve growth factor[5], testosterone, estrogen, dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin, oxytocin, and vasopressin.[6] Adequate brain levels of testosterone seem important for both human male and female sexual behavior.[7] Dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin are more commonly found during the attraction phase of a relationship.[citation needed] Oxytocin and vasopressin seemed to be more closely linked to long term bonding and relationships characterized by strong attachments."

BTW, there is ample EVIDENCE Jesus was Caesar. So much for your Christian ( Worship of a CHRISTUS-SAVIOR) beliefs which keeps people stuck in the past becoming theotards.

You are a protestant Christ-psychotic no? Here learn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1vfkiED2TM

Please land T2

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
"V"

Thomas, let me know if you have watched the video.
I am sure it will become apparent once you have. There is a context there that will save you and me a lot of time by simply watching it.
If you have, and it wasn't apparent to you, and from all that content this is the only issue you want to have a discussion on, ask me again.