Old 04-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

The End of Merkin Christinsanity

I doubt that we'll see the end any time soon, but this tepid Newspeak article got some attention last week. (Meacham was once Cunt-Watched for saying that the resurrection was so implausible it had to be true.)

The article is lame but the reactions have been humorous. (Mostly Christers who think the liberal media is trumpeting the end of Jesus or something.)

Matt Taibbi's response to the reactions is a good read.

Quote:
In my experience, religion taught something very different: that because two half-naked people with leaves over their genitals named Adam and Eve ate an apple in paradise a billion years ago, I, Matt Taibbi, was somehow a sinner and doomed to roast in the hot flames of hell for a billion years unless I accepted God’s authority. Which was not “realistic” at all, I don’t think, but completely retarded on about nineteen different levels. Moreover, you teach any normal kid the Bible and what he’s going to get from it is not a “realistic” view of the world but a disturbing series of questions to ponder. Like for instance, what does it mean when my own parents tell me, with a straight face, a story about God asking Abraham to sacrifice his only son? You’re a little kid, listening at bedtime in your pee-jays to the story, expecting that Abraham is going to tell God to go fuck himself because he loves his children so much, and be rewarded for doing so. Instead it’s exactly the opposite, the father in the story is rewarded for being willing to carve his innocent son up with a knife, the moral of the story somehow being not that God is an insane murderous psychopath, but that God is just and wise and should be obeyed. When the story is over, Dad tucks you in to bed and says he’ll see you in the morning. Now that’s realism for you
And here, Hitchens cracks me up. This is like watching Mike Tyson pummel Terri Schiavo. The learned Christian Blackwell, in the role of Schiavo, is getting hammered repeatedly and can't think of anything to stutter other than vapid rehearsed bromides. (It sounds like he says 'we all can't be teh erudite but ...').

I for one don't want Merkins to abandon The Greatest Bullshit Ever Sold, because it is just too entertaining having these drooling mouth-breathers around. It's like a Farrelly brothers movie except that in this case you don't feel uncomfortable about the retard jokes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
ghoulslime
I Live Here

The Hitchens bit is grand! He should be charged with assaulting the mentally infirm!

Blackwell might want to look into worshiping Chou Wang Chinese god of Sodomy.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
ghoulslime
I Live Here

I am very pleased to have lived long enough to witness the beginning of the end of religious domination of Merkin politics. When secular Merika finally arrives, I will dance naked in the streets and fornicate aborted fetuses together with married fags. Christers will drink double the blood but to no avail! Weep and wail! Gnash those teeth, you zombie meat eaters!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
MrProLiant

I actually read this article the other day and tried to get into the discussion. My post never appeared and after a few minutes I received a nastygram from Newsweek saying that my content had been removed due to inappropriate content....my post simply said "America! Fuck Yeah!"
Old 04-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
psychodiva
I Live Here

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
satansfist666

IS GOD A VAMPIRE!?
Genesis 4:2-8
Old 04-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Rather amazed to see this on the front page of the NYT today.

Nothing really new to us in there, though it is interesting to see that the Secular Student Alliance has quadrupled in the last five years, by number of chapters. I think Merkinville may be reaching a kind of tipping point (that Europe hit years ago) in which godlessness has a chance to become -- at some point far into the future -- mainstream-acceptable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
ubs
I Live Here

I predict the numbers will do an about face before the end of Obama's administration in response to economic hardship. Shall we take bets?

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
ubs
I Live Here

At least when I reach for their wallet, they get a warning.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
I predict the numbers will do an about face before the end of Obama's administration in response to economic hardship. Shall we take bets?
I'll take that bet, if you can prove the the numbers reversing (assuming they do) are caused by the economic downturn.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

There was a spate of coverage on this a few weeks ago. So far, it ain't happening.

Pew has the goods.

This douche-peddler disagrees, but I think his evidence is anecdotal, which is to say, arse-plucked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
ubs
I Live Here

Of course no one can prove the reason, but if your hypothesis is that people are abandoning religion because of easy information access - a new age of reason - then you should expect the situation to continue to improve.

We should agree upon a source, the study above perhaps, and a neutral area, maybe one standard deviation around the current mean, above which you win (how could it be otherwise) and below which I win (preposterous!).

And finally we must settle on the prizes. I have a fondness for signature dollars...

Old 04-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
nkb
He who walks among the theists

I don't have any hypothesis on this matter, I was just playing Beelzebub's counselor.

How can you prove conclusively that a downturn in the current trend is due to a shitty economy? What if this study doesn't examine that angle at all?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
ubs
I Live Here

You can't know. Even with a brain scan you could not know a person's motive for doing anything because people often buy their own spin.

I was only putting forth that I think it will go down and why I think it will go down and I proposed a bet because I wanted to see if I could get a raver to take a risk, but *sigh* it seems fear wins again.