Old 04-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
Thacrow

beginning to understand

There is only one reality, to us at least. I assert it is pointless to fantasize about anything outside of reality. People should not waste real time or count on winning the lottery because it is so highly unlikely to win that it is not within one's reality.

To have an open mind is the only constructive route. You see and wiegh all the evidence and must make a decision. Perhaps the decision is on which mechanic to take your car to it does not matter. What matters is reality and this world. What would be foolish would be to take your car to someone who the evidence says you should not but for what ever reason you have already made your mind up to go there.

What is dangerous is when people stand outside reality from their mind's eye.

I love to argue with my ex girlfriend and it's the only reason I talk to her but please don't tell her that. She is very intelligent and often gives me a run for my money. But she sticks with the same view no matter what evidence is set at her feet no matter what we're argueing and tries to jam lego pieces together that just don't fit. She has a poor grip on reality. She has her own reality but literally chooses not to accept the real one. And I'm talking here about literally anything. An arguement about George Clonney....anything.

It's the willingness to discount reality when it conflicts with one's own views that is one of the most dangerous and immoral things I can think of. It's borderline psychotic and I tell her she is.

Reality: most people would not want me to rape this girl, including her.
Psychopath: that doesn't matter because I want to rape her.

How can humans go astray so far and so easily and pick and choose what they want to hear and believe?

I blame...I don't know what you would call it. Once you form any sort of society you can take care of the sick and everyone can procreate. And evolution stops. We stopped evolving too early.

Blame evolution? Intelligence and lack thereof? What is the cause of the sickness? Could it be diagnosed and cured? "Kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out"

I got the quote from the simpsons but didn't realize it was Shakespear until I looked it up just now. figures.
Thacrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Loving the late night rant tonight, Thacrow. Did you lose another fight with your ex? Get used to it. It's impossible to win a fight with someone who refuses to accept new evidence. I have similiar spats with my girlfriend, but she's not as prepared as yours, so conversations soon end with her saying, "There's just no talking to you about this," and we can continue peacably with our evening.

And the quote is from the Albigensian crusade, I believe. A commander was asked how they were going to tell good Catholics from heretic Cathars. "Kill them all and let God sort them out," was his reply. I've also heard it in "Duke Nukem 3D."

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
Thacrow

No I didn't lose an argument to her. She was trying to defend herself as a Jew even though I'm sure she's never read the Torah because I quoted the passage I quoted in these forums recently and she asked me what they were as she had no idea what the quote was. She then continued to defend them as her own, although she had no idea what they were prior to the argument, when I said they were from the Torah even though she may have taken me on my word on that it was from "her book."

Bat shit crazy.

passages quoted to her:

23 "Suppose a man meets a young woman, a virgin who is engaged to be married, and he has sexual intercourse with her. If this happens within a town, 24 you must take both of them to the gates of the town and stone them to death. The woman is guilty because she did not scream for help. The man must die because he violated another man's wife. In this way, you will cleanse the land of evil. 25 "But if the man meets the engaged woman out in the country, and he rapes her, then only the man should die. 26 Do nothing to the young woman; she has committed no crime worthy of death. This case is similar to that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor. 27 Since the man raped her out in the country, it must be assumed that she screamed, but there was no one to rescue her. 28 "If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, 29 he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. 30 "A man must not have intercourse with his father's wife, for this would violate his father.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
Thacrow

Quote:
inkadu wrote View Post
And the quote is from the Albigensian crusade, I believe. A commander was asked how they were going to tell good Catholics from heretic Cathars. "Kill them all and let God sort them out," was his reply. I've also heard it in "Duke Nukem 3D."

Glad someone knew that. I've heard it in Duke Nukem as well.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Yeah, it's frustrating isn't it? These people think God spoke to them and the truth has been revealed, but they can't bother to read it. Probably because the religious society knows that it doesn't make any sense.

Lewis Black on the Old Testament

And Duke Nukem is a repository of lots of great quotes. My favorite, "I'm here to kick ass and chew gum. And I'm all out of gum." (Roddy Piper in John Carpenter's action alien consumer dystopia "They Live".)

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
Old 04-14-2010, 03:09 AM   #6
Thacrow

Quote:
inkadu wrote View Post
Loving the late night rant tonight, Thacrow. Did you lose another fight with your ex? Get used to it. It's impossible to win a fight with someone who refuses to accept new evidence.
You know what I'm sure in her mind I lost the argument and I'm crazy. Maybe that's what she's into.

Last edited by Thacrow; 04-14-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
Thacrow

Quote:
Lewis Black wrote
I would love to believe it really took place in seven days - but I have thoughts - which can really fuck up the faith thing.

You watch Jerry Springer. That's what we're like now imagine what we were like then.
Hilarious and sad.

Comedians are the philosophers of our time. I forgot who said that.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:34 AM   #8
Thacrow

Quote:
inkadu wrote View Post
And Duke Nukem is a repository of lots of great quotes. My favorite, "I'm here to kick ass and chew gum. And I'm all out of gum." (Roddy Piper in John Carpenter's action alien consumer dystopia "They Live".)
Dude I'm thrilled you brought this one up. My older brother had me watch this a long time ago and I completely forgot all about it until I youtubed it right now.

The Thing is really good too.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Thacrow wrote View Post
You know what I'm sure in her mind I lost the argument and I'm crazy. Maybe that's what she's into.
That's what I meant when you can't win. "I kept saying I didn't know about the Torah, and he just kept going out about raping women. What a nut."

She doesn't sound like that much of an ex to me; like maybe in the heat of an argument you two are just going to start going at it again and then hate yourselves later.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Comedians are also the journalists of our time.

The Thing was awesome. I saw on VHS in the 80's and was impressed. Don't remember if it had any good quotes, though.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
inkadu wrote View Post
Yeah, it's frustrating isn't it? These people think God spoke to them and the truth has been revealed, but they can't bother to read it. Probably because the religious society knows that it doesn't make any sense.

Lewis Black on the Old Testament

GDF HILARIOUS! Lewis Black is my new hero. Do you suppose he's an atheist?

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:01 AM   #12
inkadu
Obsessed Member

One would hope so. It's hard to tell. Most anti-religious comedians turn out to be agnostics, or they soft pedal the atheism. George Carlin is a notable exception.